Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rabidrage

Article Nine in my console playthrough experience

Here it is. Enjoy. Or not. http://www.talesntangents.com/journey-to-the-future-of-doom-part-9.html

I'm going to try to use more pics whenever it makes sense to do so. I've realized that pics help to make the kind of comparison I'm dealing with. I very deliberately don't want to do this as a video playthrough, at least in part because I want to be able to share my thoughts more clearly and eloquently, and also incorporate research into my articles.

GoatLord said:

Why do you suppose the SNES retained the original architecture when more powerful consoles did not?

Probably a better development team.

There's also the fact that all console ports are based off of Jaguar Doom, which was cut back in itself. And all ports other than the PSX and SNES were extremely rushed because back in the nineties all the big hits had to be out by Christmas.

Also, I want to see an electric violin now.

The SNES retained the original level architecture because it was basically made in secret. Id had no plans to make Doom for the SNES, in part because they disliked Nintendo for heavily editing Wolfenstein.

Randy Linden at Sculptured Software apparently spent time developing a special engine that could run the game on the SNES and only presented it to Id when it was finished. They were so impressed that they signed off on it.