Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrol1985

John Carmack's ice bucket challenge

Recommended Posts

This one's from August, but I only found it now.



Of all people I would expect John Carmack the least to take the challenge. Not with his "doing anything apart from programming is a waste of time" attitude.

Share this post


Link to post
Patrol1985 said:

"doing anything apart from programming is a waste of time" attitude.


I agree with that. Its a shame society frowns of that attitude. Work is #1.

Share this post


Link to post
TheCupboard said:

I honestly have avoided these videos.

Lol these are cool imo, it's fun to see celebrities having fun like normal people.

Share this post


Link to post
Memfis said:

Lol these are cool imo, it's fun to see celebrities having fun like normal people.


Seconded!

Share this post


Link to post

My cousin did one and announced if the 3 people don't do it they'll have to pay $100 to ALS. One of which was her daughter who has yet to do one. My cousin's was funny it had 2 of her kids doing a cooler full of ice water to which at the end one of the kids dropped the cooler on her head. Ow that was my head.

I'd rather see something done for MS or at least a video that tells people take Omega 3 + Vitamin D3 to keep your nerves in tact. Once you have it, you have it until something like stem cells reverse the process. Acupuncture can help symptoms in the short term.

While ALS is out there, an estimated 100,000 people have it and 350,000 people have MS. In terms of money, ALS is becoming the 1%er of funding.

Share this post


Link to post
geo said:

While ALS is out there, an estimated 100,000 people have it and 350,000 people have MS. In terms of money, ALS is becoming the 1%er of funding.

If TB is to be believed there's no worry of that, because ALS research has barely any funding outside of this campaign:





(before anyone jumps at TB for not actually doing the ice bucket challenge, he was undergoing chemo and couldn't do it for health reasons)

Share this post


Link to post

@doomgargoyle

It's not that difficult to do a 2 second Google search. The Ice Bucket Challenge is a fundraising effort to fund medical research, and some Catholics have complained because some of it involves stem cell research. I have no idea where you came up with the "some kind of jewish gay initiation thing" description but it sounds a bit antisemitic and homophobic to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post

@Sodaholic interesting, Ive just been fed up with politics and activism. However effective it might be, this looks stupid and pointless. Maybe if instead of water the buckets were filled with gasoline and somebody had a lighter...

Share this post


Link to post
TheCupboard said:

That was the first ice bucket challenge I have ever seen. Thank you. I honestly have avoided these videos.

Second for me, I have been avoiding them too until I saw an Ice Bucket Challenge that featured Mike Smith, I cracked and decided to finally watch it, they aren't so bad and on top of that they are for a good cause.

Share this post


Link to post
doomgargoyle said:

@Sodaholic interesting, Ive just been fed up with politics and activism. However effective it might be, this looks stupid and pointless. Maybe if instead of water the buckets were filled with gasoline and somebody had a lighter...

If only.

Share this post


Link to post
Jodwin said:

If TB is to be believed there's no worry of that, because ALS research has barely any funding outside of this campaign:

(before anyone jumps at TB for not actually doing the ice bucket challenge, he was undergoing chemo and couldn't do it for health reasons)


Yeah I knew about the chemo from his vlogs. At least TB tries to inform people instead of quickly bucket dumping.

ALS is closely tied with some other syndromes that develop due to a poor myelin sheathe. Once stem cells cure one syndrome... Anyway, Omega 3 + Vitamin D3 keep that sheathe fat like a coating around wires that are your nerves. Better yet, kids go out and soak up sun and take D3, because once you hit your teenage years, that sheathe doesn't fatten anymore.

Anyone up for the cinnamon MS challenge or the Furgesson pepper spray challenge? Viral.

Share this post


Link to post

I honestly might have participated if Southern California wasn't suffering from a fuckawful drought. Seeing other people do it was more than enough for me as is.

Share this post


Link to post

All this time I assumed it was some stupid fad like the cinnamon challenge. Now I feel bad...

But as it stands it is possible to create stem cells from adult cells, it's just really fucking hard. Expensive too. I'm not against harvesting fetuses for stem cells, though. What about all the organisms we eat to live every day, that our body kills to keep from being infected? It'd honestly be wonderful if someone like Hawking could walk, eat, and speak once again. To actually live as a human being deserves to.

It's hard to know where the right answer lies. Never easy...

Share this post


Link to post

Publicity is better than no publicity, right? Imagine how you could affect DW as "the guy who is pointless". They are going to read your post just to confirm that you are 'without point' but you could expand on that and say some fucking intelligent statements that declare you have arrived on the plain of reasoning.

From there, it's like a matter of making smart posts all the time which profoundly contradict the custom title. It's not as hard as you might think. Just phrase your argument from a vantage-point you might never have considered before pondering a while.

Share this post


Link to post

John Carmack. Technological genius...

Can't scale the video aspect ratio properly.

Share this post


Link to post
RUSH said:

John Carmack. Technological genius...

Can't scale the video aspect ratio properly.

To be fair, it's not technically the aspect ratio that's wrong, it's the crop ;)

Jaxxoon R said:

I'm not against harvesting fetuses for stem cells, though. What about all the organisms we eat to live every day, that our body kills to keep from being infected? It'd honestly be wonderful if someone like Hawking could walk, eat, and speak once again. To actually live as a human being deserves to.

I'm right there with ya.

Share this post


Link to post
Jaxxoon R said:

I'm not against harvesting fetuses for stem cells, though. What about all the organisms we eat to live every day, that our body kills to keep from being infected? It'd honestly be wonderful if someone like Hawking could walk, eat, and speak once again. To actually live as a human being deserves to.

This is a nasty ethical question and not even in the religious "hurr durr life = sacred" way. You can tell yourself all you want that it'd be a regulated, strictly ethical process used only for good, but that's not how real world operates. Demand would surely be great and sooner than you know you have literal body shops in third world countries where enslaved women are farmed for baby goo. And since it's so far removed from us, we'll be very morally distraught and angered when a report rears its ugly head in media, but then we'll quickly forget. And hey, my father's/daughter's cancer won't heal itself and I love them so much, so, uh... Tough luck, brown babies, you'd be hungry your entire life anyways.

I'm a bit theatrical here, but actually not that much. Kosovan militias harvesting organs from captured Serbs, anyone? Those weren't even that brown and barely anyone gives a crap.

Share this post


Link to post
TheCupboard said:

That was the first ice bucket challenge I have ever seen. Thank you. I honestly have avoided these videos.


Seconded, seeing Carmack's name on it made me click it

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×