Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joe-ilya

Doom 2 going to be 20 years old at the edge of this september!

joe-ilya said:

Will the same silence will pass as it did on the original doom? That's just sad.

Well, if you are talking about the "mainstream media", yes, it probably won't be more than a few lines, and that's assuming they remember at all. If the first one (the most "important" one) wasn't as mentioned as it should one year ago, I think this one is going to be even more ignored.

Now, if you talk about the community, no. Remember this ones?:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/65655-20-years-of-doom/
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/66446-doom-will-be-20-years-old-in-one-week/

...and that's just the ones I could find in a couple of minutes, I'm pretty sure there are at least two or three more related threads.

I think Heretic already turned 20 at some point this year and I don't remember hearing squat about that :V

Doomkid said:

I wonder how many will celebrate DWANGO's 20th birthday in December? :o

I certainly will be. Despite many of the maps being mediocre. Perhaps a compilation of the best maps should be played? Including greats like D5M1, D5M7 and D6M2(?) Being a few good examples. I think D6M2 is the one with the silly chainsaw placement (slap bang in the middle), despite that it is one of the best maps I have played.

some friend should still have his 15" crt in the basement...

* starts keyboarding happily through entryway for a retro feeling *

About time Bethesda/iD made Doom 1/2 free for everybody at last, similar to what they did for TES:Arena/Daggerfall.

I was thinking of covering this Doom 2 wad that basically has ALL the maps from Doom 2 into one level alongside some tweaks to the levels, as celebration for Doom 2's 20th birthday.

Yes, we are getting older :-\

Just think of it - the game everyone played in their teens, and now it's a generation older :-\

DaniJ said:

The only thing I personally want to see is a worldwide reveal of DOOM4.

That sounds good to me DaniJ. All I want is to see some footage and a couple screens. I think exclusive reveals are bullshit.

Suitepee said:

About time Bethesda/iD made Doom 1/2 free for everybody at last, similar to what they did for TES:Arena/Daggerfall.

Do Arena and Daggerfall have much of a fan following, though? I don't really follow TES but from what I see people tend to focus more on Morrowind and up.

I don't know about every company's rationale, but I notice that with Apogee it seems like they mostly do freeware releases of their "junk" titles (not necessarily bad games, but stuff that's extremely old or less popular/didn't sell well, like Bio Menace) and still sell their more successful stuff like Duke Nukum (sic).

OTOH Epic Megagames gave out One Must Fall 2097 which is one of the best things they made, so I dunno.

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Do Arena and Daggerfall have much of a fan following, though? I don't really follow TES but from what I see people tend to focus more on Morrowind and up.

I don't know about every company's rationale, but I notice that with Apogee it seems like they mostly do freeware releases of their "junk" titles (not necessarily bad games, but stuff that's extremely old or less popular/didn't sell well, like Bio Menace) and still sell their more successful stuff like Duke Nukum (sic).

OTOH Epic Megagames gave out One Must Fall 2097 which is one of the best things they made, so I dunno.

Only Bethtards play starting from Morrowind and up, and even Morrowind is too "difficult" for them, they mostly play the streamlined hold your hand oblivion and call of elder scrolls, Skyrin games. The only reason they released Arena and Daggerfall for free is because theres no way they can sell those games to their core audiences nowadays.

doomgargoyle said:

Only Bethtards play starting from Morrowind and up, and even Morrowind is too "difficult" for them, they mostly play the streamlined hold your hand oblivion and call of elder scrolls, Skyrin games. The only reason they released Arena and Daggerfall for free is because theres no way they can sell those games to their core audiences nowadays.

Okay, let me just say, I think the Elderscrolls series is pretty damn awesome. I guess I'm one of those "bethtards" since I started at Morrowind, my apologies for not hearing about the series before then ;)

Anyways, I saw screenshots of Arena and Daggerfall and was like, "OH SHIT, that looks like Elderscrolls in Doom-O-Vision!" and was pretty stoked. Went through all the BS to install Daggerfall thru DOSbox, set up my character, set all my preferences, then was almost immediately greeted with a Rat, which flooded my screen with the message "You see a rat" from top to bottom, and like 5 seconds later I was dead.

I kept pressing the 'Attack' key, and the sword just kept getting put away and re-drawn over and over without actually attacking.. After much frustration, trial and error "run past the rat" attempts, I accidentally dsicovered that you actually swing the mouse back and forth like a down syndrome child to attack...

I get it. It was an earlier era of gameing, develpers were constantly trying new things to make the experience more immersive and realistic. The thing is though, this ball-brained control scheme was a failed experiment.

I'd be endlessly greatful if someone released a "sensible controls" patch where it handles the same way as Morrowind /Oblivion / Doom / Any other game made by a sane human being. I have a hard time believing I'm the only one who sadly shut down the game before exiting the first dungeon, and for controls alone - The intro clip, the graphics and sound effects are all very appealing. It's a damn shame.

20 years---wow. I never expected a computer game to hold my interest for 5 years let alone 20; good times :)

A huge thank you to id Software for allowing the gamers into their sourcecode, art files, etc. in order to develop the editors that have kept this game going these past 20+ years. Extremely cool on a company's part.

And an even bigger thanks to everyone who's kept this adventure going with your maps, textures, forums, webpages and diatribes (even those). It's a great time to be a Doomer honestly.

Now what to play tonight in honor of the event? Kesler? Ritenuer? Pearson? Soto? Krause? Ghul? (whatever happened to him anyways..)

joepallai said:

Now what to play tonight in honor of the event? Kesler? Ritenuer? Pearson? Soto? Krause? Ghul? (whatever happened to him anyways..)

Perhaps the DOOM 2 20th Anniversary Map Pack.

Happy birthday, Doom 2. Since my very childhood, I've always had great times with the game.

Doomkid said:

Okay, let me just say, I think the Elderscrolls series is pretty damn awesome. I guess I'm one of those "bethtards" since I started at Morrowind, my apologies for not hearing about the series before then ;)

Anyways, I saw screenshots of Arena and Daggerfall and was like, "OH SHIT, that looks like Elderscrolls in Doom-O-Vision!" and was pretty stoked. Went through all the BS to install Daggerfall thru DOSbox, set up my character, set all my preferences, then was almost immediately greeted with a Rat, which flooded my screen with the message "You see a rat" from top to bottom, and like 5 seconds later I was dead.

I kept pressing the 'Attack' key, and the sword just kept getting put away and re-drawn over and over without actually attacking.. After much frustration, trial and error "run past the rat" attempts, I accidentally dsicovered that you actually swing the mouse back and forth like a down syndrome child to attack...

I get it. It was an earlier era of gameing, develpers were constantly trying new things to make the experience more immersive and realistic. The thing is though, this ball-brained control scheme was a failed experiment.

I'd be endlessly greatful if someone released a "sensible controls" patch where it handles the same way as Morrowind /Oblivion / Doom / Any other game made by a sane human being. I have a hard time believing I'm the only one who sadly shut down the game before exiting the first dungeon, and for controls alone - The intro clip, the graphics and sound effects are all very appealing. It's a damn shame.

There's nothing wrong with the controls in Daggerfall/Arena. You're just playing them wrong. I exited the first dungeon in the first run. Maybe you should stick with the bethtard friendly Elder Scrolls like Oblivion and up.