Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joe-ilya

Doom 2 going to be 20 years old at the edge of this september!

happy doom2day. O:

doomgargoyle said:

There's nothing wrong with the controls in Daggerfall/Arena. You're just playing them wrong. I exited the first dungeon in the first run. Maybe you should stick with the bethtard friendly Elder Scrolls like Oblivion and up.

I was trying to come up with something witty to say here but I think your custom title covers it better than I ever could. Carry on, gents.

doomgargoyle said:

Maybe you should stick with the bethtard friendly Elder Scrolls like Oblivion and up.

Is it nearly someone's nap time? <3

Seriously though those controls haven't aged well. A source port improving the controls would be swell.

Happy birthday Doom 2!!!

Thank you for bringing us the SSG, more interesting monsters, awesome music, and cool new textures. Most of your levels are pretty fun too.

A lot of people are downplaying this milestone since Doom 2 is really just a modified Doom and we really like to celebrate the engine more than anything at this point. Obviously without Doom 1 there would be no Doom and none of us would be here right now. But the longevity and community we have today wouldn't exist without Doom 2. Pretty much every pwad we play runs on top of doom2.wad, and the pwads are really the meat of this whole thing. Imagine if we were mapping only with Doom 1 resources. I don't know if we would have made it this far. There's only so many things you can do with that bestiary. The additional monsters they added in Doom 2 made the gameplay variations possible go from many, to incomprehensible.

Doom 2 might not be an increase in tech like we expect a sequel to be today, but it's definitely a great increase in fun. And besides, in the old days sequels were commonly the same game core just with new levels and enemies etc. Look at the keen games for example (probably a bad example because it's still iD). Doom 2 is an awesome good amazing game that continues to provide fun and compelling gameplay today and will continue to do so until humans are too smart for videogames.

Xaser said:

happy doom2day. O:

I was trying to come up with something witty to say here but I think your custom title covers it better than I ever could. Carry on, gents.

wussy

Xaser said:

happy doom2day. O:

just cause i thought carmack's ice bucket challenge was retarded, the idiot that gives custom titles should grow a pair.

Doomkid said:

Is it nearly someone's nap time? <3

Seriously though those controls haven't aged well. A source port improving the controls would be swell.

Yeah i know, im just pulling yer chain. Lighten up. :) The controls are kinda annoying. The problem with a source port is that the source code for Daggerfall was lost a long time ago. The only thing closest to a source port is the XL engine that one guy is making that will support Daggerfall.

doomgargoyle said:

wussy

doomgargoyle said:

just cause i thought carmack's ice bucket challenge was retarded, the idiot that gives custom titles should grow a pair.

Triple posting and statements like these ones live up to your custom title.

RocknRoll420 said:

[..]Pretty much every pwad we play runs on top of doom2.wad, and the pwads are really the meat of this whole thing. Imagine if we were mapping only with Doom 1 resources. I don't know if we would have made it this far. There's only so many things you can do with that bestiary. The additional monsters they added in Doom 2 made the gameplay variations possible go from many, to incomprehensible.

You hit the nail on the head, man. People often dis the "32 maps, no episode" format, but that made it so much easier in the older days for people to compile their maps. There are quite a few new line types too - faster doors and lifts and just generally much easier to work with.

doomgargoyle said:

The problem with a source port is that the source code for Daggerfall was lost a long time ago.

Damn, that really is a shame..