Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Flesh420

Quake Live on Steam

http://www.quakelive.com/

Yesterday I downloaded QL again and came back to a weird mixture of oldschool Q3 mixed with modern day trash. Because they added the game to steam now there's a "weapon loadout" that forces you to choose primary and secondary guns. I was like Wtf is this shit? That was tolerable at first, until I was talking with a guy that's taking all the features and fixes of QL and releasing them into a mod for Q3A, and was told you have to subscribe for the "classic game mode" which is what we all know Q3 to be: Spawning with a machine gun and having to traverse the map for better weapons. Yesterday I found one server up hosting "classic."

Thoughts?

I'm still trying to figure out why people don't just go out and buy a copy of Quake 3. Finding it in a Quake collection pack is pretty cheap and I'm pretty sure the game still runs on modern day systems.

It does with little tweaks, like widescreen support etc. The netcode is a little weird nowadays it seems, but I still love it.

Regular QL player here :)

To be honest, new changes (loadouts, unified ammo packs etc.) didn't ruin the game for me. I can still excel with my skill, so if someone couldn't defeat me prior to the update, they still can't. However, if those new changes attract new players then I'm all for it. I want Quake Live to stay alive.

Wait, Quake Live is on STEAM? Since when?

I remember playing around a bit with Quake live for a couple of days when it just became playable (I don't think it was even the finished thing) but then I lost interest in it and basically haven't thought about it since.

So, modern fps features like loadouts have been added into the game? What is the point of having that in a game like Quake? Doesn't that beat the point of playing an arena shooter?

hardcore_gamer said:

Wait, Quake Live is on STEAM? Since when?

2 days.

hardcore_gamer said:

So, modern fps features like loadouts have been added into the game? What is the point of having that in a game like Quake? Doesn't that beat the point of playing an arena shooter?

Those changes were made with new players in mind. Newbies often have trouble finding a good weapon due to a lack of knowledge of a given map. Thus, many of them would quit the game never to run it again - what's so fun in getting killed because you can't even pickup a decent weapon.

Old rules are still available as the "classic" ruleset and those new changes are restricted to a number of modes anyway. Duel, which happens to be my favourite, remains unchanged, except for the recent LG nerf (7 DMG per cell dropped to 6 DMG), but that was a good balance decision in my opinion.

I don't know... I'll still probably play but you have to find someone hosting "Classic" FFA. They destroyed the core mechanic for Steam kids: Map control and item control. Now there's ammo everywhere and you spawn with a weapon of your choice. I really don't know how to feel about it, I can understand both sides. I mean it's great new people are into Quake, but why change what makes Quake, Quake? And then you browse through the QL Steam forum and see this:
"No hats, no sale.
What is the point of the premium or standard version, neither offer hats or other incentives to keep gamers gaming. Perhaps TF2 hats can be added but for a FPS game to be taken seriously in 2014 it needs an update to deliver on what real gamers want."

Flesh420 said:

"No hats, no sale.
What is the point of the premium or standard version, neither offer hats or other incentives to keep gamers gaming. Perhaps TF2 hats can be added but for a FPS game to be taken seriously in 2014 it needs an update to deliver on what real gamers want."

Is this for real? I have to see this. No wait -- actually, perhaps I shouldn't. My brain might melt. D:

Flesh420 said:

I mean it's great new people are into Quake, but why change what makes Quake, Quake?

Because, sadly, it's an "either/or" situation. You can't attract new players to the game with the old ruleset. It's too big a skill spike for beginners to tolerate. I don't blame them - I can imagine what it would be like for me to join QL as a newbie nowadays, when player base is established and the average skill level is really high. So either we alter the game, or it dies. They made the right choice to my mind.

Flesh420 said:

"No hats, no sale.

I also saw it on Steam forums and I also think that was sarcasm.

I think its been there for 4 years. I remember seeing people on my friends list playing it. It was also in the news recently for having different loadouts to make it more accessible.

geo said:

I think its been there for 4 years.

Quake Live officially entered Steam only a few days ago. Previously it could only be added as a 'non-steam game' and many people did it, myself included. Perhaps that's why you saw it on Steam.

No one use MG anymore.. feels lame. Last night I played Q3 in Arena of Death against max amount of bots for 500 frags. It was like pretty fucking awesome. Machinegun fire and clouds of blood everywhere!

Jimi said:

No one use MG anymore.. feels lame. Last night I played Q3 in Arena of Death against max amount of bots for 500 frags. It was like pretty fucking awesome. Machinegun fire and clouds of blood everywhere!

The new machine gun is weird. Imo the skin is terrible.

For some reason they stopped giving me email notifications about having to resign in to keep it, I kept on doing it but they stopped giving them to me so now it seems they just silently delete accounts now.

Avoozl said:

For some reason they stopped giving me email notifications about having to resign in to keep it, I kept on doing it but they stopped giving them to me so now it seems they just silently delete accounts now.

I actually never got such a mail at all. I just found out that the started to delete accounts after some googling. Now my beta participation achievement is gone :(

My will to fight The Man was drained last night once I played remakes of Warehouse and The Edge maps from Q2. Tonight I'm going to subscribe and host a server. Up to five unsub players can join if anyone will be interested.

boris said:

Damn, looks like they deleted my account :(

Yah, my old one is gone too. Made a new one, though. I started to play it again briefly right before it came to Steam, and I think I posted a match of mine in Blogs. I have no idea what all these new features are, but they sound awful. Fuck newbies. If they wanna get the good guns have them learn the map. Don't offer newbies, or old pros for that matter, any handouts.

I finally decided to play the game again although on a new account and I already won two matches before getting bored and closed the game, but really it doesn't give me that same feeling the original Quake III Arena and the Team Arena expansion gave me, not to mention I miss the gore also. :P I miss those squishy bouncy splatter sounds.

hopped on today and played a few games. hold space to bunny hop? loadouts? lameeeee

but you know what's even lamer? even with these changes... it''s still the best online fps besides cs and ns2

I unfortunately found this on the quake live steam forums.

Some guy said:
I prefer killstreak and level progression over hats. Cmon ID stop making games that were outdated decades ago, killstreaks, unlocks and hitmarks are future of online shooters:pdw:

Some asshole replied:
Nonono. Hats and Steam achivements and trading cards are the most important things!
I mean look at Unreal Tournament or Battefield. I can't belive ppl dare to call them FPSs. They don't even have a cowboy hat with hipster glasses!