Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

tweaking 3D mode?

Maps in 3D mode look nothing like they look in the game. Everything, the dimensions, especially the lighting is very different. What can be done to make it more WYSIWYG?

I assume you're talking about Doom Builder 2 or Slade? The only solution is to incorporate the software renderer or components of it in the level editors' preview functionality. Eureka is the only editor that does this AFAIK.

Slade's 3D mode looks mostly like a GL port except it lacks fake contrast and allows the sky to occlude parts of the map. DB2's 3D mode is very useful, but requires more frequent map testing.

There are no tweaks available for this unless you want to rewrite parts of your favourite editor.

Even an ugly 3D mode is better than the old days when we just had to try building something blindly and test it in game.

As for the aspect ratio, I turned off the auto-hide functionality for the Undo/Redo list and resized THAT until my 3D view had a more appropriate ratio (in DB2). I still struggle with the fact that the lighting is too bright (although a FULLBRIGHT mode in the 3D view would sometimes be very welcome), and I would love it if there were some fake contrast applied.

Lutz said:

As for the aspect ratio, I turned off the auto-hide functionality for the Undo/Redo list and resized THAT until my 3D view had a more appropriate ratio (in DB2). I still struggle with the fact that the lighting is too bright (although a FULLBRIGHT mode in the 3D view would sometimes be very welcome), and I would love it if there were some fake contrast applied.

Press B to toggle fullbright mode in DB2's 3D mode :)

Memfis said:

Maps in 3D mode look nothing like they look in the game. Everything, the dimensions, especially the lighting is very different.

Yup, not even close

Spoiler

Lutz said:
As for the aspect ratio, I turned off the auto-hide functionality for the Undo/Redo list and resized THAT until my 3D view had a more appropriate ratio (in DB2).

I've added an option to emulate (G)ZDoom's vertical stretching in GZDB r2050 (Preferences -> Appearance -> "Stretched view in visual modes").

Lutz said:
I still struggle with the fact that the lighting is too bright

In DB2/GZDB: set "Preferences -> Appearance -> Texture and Flats brightness" to 0.

Lutz said:
I would love it if there were some fake contrast applied.

GZDB's visual mode does that.

I *LOVE* it when whining is IMMEDIATELY rewarded! Thanks for the tips, guys.

As someone who only within the last 3 months transitioned from WinDEU 5.2 to DB2, I still have a few things to learn about these new-fangled editors...