Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Is there a wad where you're a villain?

Considering the plot of the iwads, the default for pwads seems to be the same story, with only megawads bothering to give much of a backstory. I can't think of any which have you cast as a villain, apart from a couple of wads that let you play as a monster. I guess what I'm trying to find is a wad that suggests you're a human villain of some description.

The story of UAC Rebellion is close, you're not exactly a villain, but you slaughter your fellow marines in excessive numbers. All in all, it's a very different story than Doom(2) or classic megawads have.

scifista42 said:

The story of UAC Rebellion is close, you're not exactly a villain, but you slaughter your fellow marines in excessive numbers.

Sounds a lot like I'm really looking for - the pwad equivalent of the "No Russian" Call of Duty mission.

Some of the Russian Community's mapsets envision the player as a madman running rampant and hallucinating demons, namely Sacrament, in which it becomes clear that you are actually killing other humans. Given the simplicity of Doom's storyline, I suppose it's quite easy to imagine this premise while playing virtually any map if you want.

The classic mapset System Vices also seems to hint that the player is part of a villainous organization, though again the storyline is pretty thin.

Sometimes I like to think that I'm just some asshole coming down to hell to ruin some demon days. I mean, really, I have no business being there, and those imps were probably just jacked from workin out or something and that's why they're all so pumped to kill me back. But like, damn man when you go down to hell to toast some demons...you're the villain now man.

@Pavera: Okay, let's say that zombies and pinkies and imps and all monsters living in Hell are just innocent pawns, and it's unfortunate that we have to kill them on our way, but they were always asking for that. Our ultimate goal is something bigger - saving the world from a hellish invasion, by defeating the Hell's leaders themselves at the end of the game. Doesn't it make us the good guys, eventually?

The old Cabal series had a backstory about you being a cyberdemon who was human-ified as punishment and seeking revenge. I guess that'd make you an anti-hero at least, if not a villain. Didn't really have any bearing on how the maps themselves played out though.

Edit: also I think this was the WAD I was remembering that has a pretty dark text file, but don't expect much of the map.

Not Jabba said:

Some of the Russian Community's mapsets envision the player as a madman running rampant and hallucinating demons, namely Sacrament, in which it becomes clear that you are actually killing other humans. Given the simplicity of Doom's storyline, I suppose it's quite easy to imagine this premise while playing virtually any map if you want.

The classic mapset System Vices also seems to hint that the player is part of a villainous organization, though again the storyline is pretty thin.

I played that Sacrament wad and I have to say it was one of the most boring ones I have ever played.

^ that sort of misses the point a little, right? If you see a map laid out like Doxylamine Moon, it's clear to see that Plutonia-style action is not the relevant concept at play... it's all about the atmosphere!

yakfak said:

^ that sort of misses the point a little, right? If you see a map laid out like Doxylamine Moon, it's clear to see that Plutonia-style action is not the relevant concept at play... it's all about the atmosphere!

I disliked it in every sense, it didn't generate any atmosphere, it was plain boring and dull.

Just consider the game from a "politically correct" perspective...

The Demons are not really "demons" at all, just a simple under developed society of peace loving folks only doing what they have to do to feed their children as best as they know how with their unfairly low level of resources. Anyone who calls them "Demons" is clearly a racist and a xenophobe and using inherently racist ideology to justify apartheid.

Now just think about every time you have killed a demon in Doom.

You are a bad person.

Mission Accomplished.