Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrthejoshmon

Another TNT Community Project?

Which of the premade maps should be used?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the premade maps should be used?

• Acid Assault?
    • Temple?
    • It Was a Dark and Stormy Night?
    • None, learn to map scrub!

Gez said:

Reskin all demons as giant bugs and call it TNT: Weevilution.

That's freedoom.

I'll be glad to take a slot on the second episode, it will be a map mixed with silver, bricks and marble.

What about simply calling this wad "TNT : Evolution"?

I'll submit something to this.

If anything, I would like an episode three slot.

I'll also try out your levels, MrtheJoshmon.

Doomtodeath said:

I wonder who will make the Wolfenstein 3D secret levels.

Wrong IWAD. TNT's secret levels are egyptian and vacation themed. Devilution is the only other big TNT project thats actually using the egypt thing, so I'd like to see what you guys can come up with. Devilution and TNTTWID are both throwing out egyptian stuff, so there isnt really any chance of "overflow" either (which isn't very TWIDlike in the latter case, but oh well)

Ragnor said:

Wrong IWAD. TNT's secret levels are egyptian and vacation themed. Devilution is the only other big TNT project thats actually using the egypt thing, so I'd like to see what you guys can come up with. Devilution and TNTTWID are both throwing out egyptian stuff, so there isnt really any chance of "overflow" either (which isn't very TWIDlike in the latter case, but oh well)

The truth is, I never really beat TNT. Also, the Wolfenstein 3D textures are visible for me in Doombuilder. (yes, i'm only using TNT)

@Ragnor: The no-homages rule is still in effect regarding Final Doomtwid so that's the reason there wont be an egyptian map in the 31 slot. Maybe in the rest of the maplist though, no reason anyone couldn't use the textures in a normal map.

Marcaek said:

@Ragnor: The no-homages rule is still in effect regarding Final Doomtwid so that's the reason there wont be an egyptian map in the 31 slot. Maybe in the rest of the maplist though, no reason anyone couldn't use the textures in a normal map.

Why not just follow the same principles as the D2TWID secret levels? Instead of Egyptian, use some other ancient civilisation theme, like Roman or Ancient Greece perhaps, with some custom textures.

(Unless that's already the intention, in which case disregard this)

--
Anyway, I would offer to make some stuff, map and midi for this, but given how slowly I'm working on Revilution as is, perhaps best not :P

Eris Falling said:

--
Anyway, I would offer to make some stuff, map and midi for this, but given how slowly I'm working on Revilution as is, perhaps best not :P

TNT Consultant? :p

Completing another TNT-themed community project might be a difficult proposition, given that there are already three others currently in development (TNT: Revilution, TNT 2: Devilution, and Evilution The Way Team TNT Did), spreading the pool of possible contributors pretty thin. If you haven't already (I may have missed something), it might be worth coming up with a hook to differentiate your project from the others.

I'm going to be honest.

I just played through Acid Assault, and there are a few very big issues, though some of them may be on my part.

I downloaded the wad and tried playing it, but the screen would simply go black, no graphics, no sound, nothing.

In order to play it, I had to copy and paste the entire map and everything in it into a new wad, which worked.

I'm not sure what caused the original file to crash. It is probably due to a source port issue, though I don't know for sure.

The design is reminiscent of TNT in certain aspects, including the weird, cavernous hallways, and the fact that the green ooze isn't damaging. However, I would add more paths to the map, even if said paths lead to the same room. Notably, the ending portion of the map becomes a tad linear.

The difficulties could be implemented better. HMP is fine; I haven't fully finished it on UV, though the start seems about right; HNTR, on the other hand, may be a bit too rough. Though that's not necessarily a bad thing, I think it could use a few less hitscanners in the first round of hallways, and have a few less specters, which goes along with my next suggestion.

I might switch some of the Pinkies and Specters. I noticed UV had regular pinkies, while the other modes did not. I think for UV, it could be all specters, and then for the other modes, replace a few of the specters with pinkies, since pinkies are easier to deal with in this level.

There are also no secrets in the level. I would add at least one or two, even if they're small and insignificant. Perhaps a blur-sphere, a room with a few medkits, something along those lines.

The big issue is that I could not figure out how to exit. I got to the hallway with the little exit sign (a nice touch, I may add), and entered the room full of trees and stalagmites, but I couldn't find any switches or anything. I even looked at the map in Doombuilder afterwards, but I could not figure it out.

Issues aside, I did have fun with this map, and anticipate playing more.

esselfortium said:

Completing another TNT-themed community project might be a difficult proposition, given that there are already three others currently in development (TNT: Revilution, TNT 2: Devilution, and Evilution The Way Team TNT Did), spreading the pool of possible contributors pretty thin. If you haven't already (I may have missed something), it might be worth coming up with a hook to differentiate your project from the others.

I was thinking the same thing.

From reading the first post this is more a community megawad using Evilution textures than an attempt to emulate the original TNT levels. I don't think there's any more need for a USP than there would be if it were made using the Doom 2 IWAD.

I know you are just being helpful and it doesn't warrant me sticking my nose in but it would be nice to see a community megawad that doesn't have requirements above and beyond the use of a central texture pack and quality control after the recent procession of limitation projects.

I'd go for limit-removing myself. The other three are all vanilla. I'd like to see what people can do with TNT textures without fussing with VPOs and such.

Yeah, Limit removing sounds a lot more flexible and easier to work with then another vanilla megawad.

I would also think about making textures but I have no idea how to actually make the things, I can easily make and add textures in the patch editor for SLADE 3 as well as import new textures but I don't know what programs to create the custom textures in (and I would probably suck at it).

Also as an extra point, we could perhaps have the mappers attempt to map in a style they are not used to mapping for (Like making something out of their comfort zone, an example would be how useless I am at non-linear maps or arena maps).

-

Obake: What sourceport were you using? I have never encountered this bug.

And I will look into all the other situations (By the way, the map does have secrets, just that you wouldn't know they were secrets).

Bucket said:

How about an episode that links TNT and Plutonia?
You can call it Plumature Ejacolution.

As much as the idea of a TNT to Plutonia is great, the thing would be a little restrictive in terms of somewhat forced designs (It would probably have to follow the TNT and Plutonia style to make any sense).

I think that I should actually remove any forced styles and have this be a "do a somewhat decent and playable map for TNT and there we go" thing.

(Although, that title idea is also a great idea for a XXX themed wad revolving around Doomguy's... "Insecurities"...)

-

On a side note, I kind of suck at exteriors:

I wouldn't have the grass and dirt flats might without a change in height difference. I would maybe use the dirt next to the asphalt and then the grass surrounding the dirt. The area you show doesn't look bare so I wouldn't add anything else. Maybe just some additional structure on the boundary wall like intermittent thick pillars or plinths holding lamps or something.

walter confalonieri said:

Pretty map to be your first try, played with prboom and worked expect if you fall in the spot near the rock on the rail you can get stuck.

Thanks for the heads up , i corrected it (use the same link, i updated it).

And yes, it took me and entire day to make and the first time i tried something with boom format (i prefer udmf).

mrthejoshmon said:

Thanks!

Any ideas on what to put out there (other than more crates)?

If you were going to add custom textures, I'd say a spinning industrial fan on the outside never hurt.

I don't think you're adding custom stuff though, but small ditches of nukage, trees, and rocks (or "mounds of ashwall") will porbably look nice in an outdoor setting!

Doomkid said:

If you were going to add custom textures, I'd say a spinning industrial fan on the outside never hurt.

I don't think you're adding custom stuff though, but small ditches of nukage, trees, and rocks (or "mounds of ashwall") will porbably look nice in an outdoor setting!

Now unless someone can provide anything better than I can, SWATER will be a rotating fan (If TNT doesn't already use it)...

And yeah, I am surprised I didn't think of all those extra outside things because it is pretty much all over the place in my TPBM :/

Thanks for the suggestions man, I'm gonna go pimp that place out :)

DeathevokatioN said:

Not to sound like an asshole or anything, but how about finishing the the other two first?

Finishing the other two TNT projects will take time and it is also well out of my hands to even influence the others to finish as they ain't my projects.

Besides, more TNT is good.