Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrthejoshmon

Another TNT Community Project?

Which of the premade maps should be used?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the premade maps should be used?

• Acid Assault?
    • Temple?
    • It Was a Dark and Stormy Night?
    • None, learn to map scrub!

Behold, Canyon Halls by me and KevinHEZ.

-REMOVED-

If you find any bugs or flaws, report back. Otherwise, feedback/constructive criticism is appreciated.

Impboy4 said:

Behold, Canyon Halls by me and KevinHEZ.

Download

If you find any bugs or flaws, report back. Otherwise, feedback/constructive criticism is appreciated.

There is a Cacodemon stuck in a wall and a demon stuck in a fire stick.

Doomtodeath said:

There is a Cacodemon stuck in a wall and a demon stuck in a fire stick.

Noted for truth.

Alright, let us get to it:

Canyon Halls by Impboy4 and KevinHEZ:

I. Love. This. Map.

This map is just perfect for this project:

- It looks awesome
- It plays excellent
- It feels so good 90's but has the quality of modern maps

This map undoubtedly outshines my contributions, the only thing I can say about it is that the start is a little bit brutal on UV but other than that it is just pure TNT win.

-

Brain Stew V2 by joe-ilya:

That didn't help at all, the map still sucks.

Seriously, this map quite literally kills the entire megawad so I am going to have no choice but to reject it.

I am sorry but quality control needs to be used so one shitty map does not destroy the megawad, I am sure you can understand why I am doing this.

If you can provide us with something much better then please do so, if not then I afraid you are out of the project Joe.

-

MAP25 is slowly being put together, going to see if I can't record some videos on these maps for Youtube.

mrthejoshmon said:

Alright, let us get to it:

Canyon Halls by Impboy4 and KevinHEZ:

I. Love. This. Map.

This map is just perfect for this project:

- It looks awesome
- It plays excellent
- It feels so good 90's but has the quality of modern maps

This map undoubtedly outshines my contributions, the only thing I can say about it is that the start is a little bit brutal on UV but other than that it is just pure TNT win.

Thanks man, we're glad you liked it, and yes, the start area i made brutal so the player has to think fast (i playtested it inumerous times, it was a lot brutal than what we released given that i also playtested it on UV for difficulty reasons).

Impboy4 wanted a dark ambient song to go along with the map so i made this inspired by the PSX Doom soundtrack (not the midi on the wad itself, this is a different one).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ia5eici6w58xtiv/c_halls.mid?dl=0

KevinHEZ said:

Thanks man, we're glad you liked it, and yes, the start area i made brutal so the player has to think fast (i playtested it inumerous times, it was a lot brutal than what we released given that i also playtested it on UV for difficulty reasons).

Impboy4 wanted a dark ambient song to go along with the map so i made this inspired by the PSX Doom soundtrack (not the midi on the wad itself, this is a different one).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ia5eici6w58xtiv/c_halls.mid?dl=0

Ok, cool.

I should get to a playthrough of it, this map is absolutely great.

(Speaking of which, a notification popped up in my crappy Twitter telling me that you liked the Deep Water playthrough, thanks.)

Breezeep said:

Link to canyon halls is broken.

Link is NOT broken dude as I can use it just fine. You sure you didn't use the older link before Doomtodeath's bug report?

--------------
Canyon Halls
--------------

Normally I'll wait for a megawad to be further along before looking at maps, but mrthejoshmon sounded positively giddy about this one, so I had to play it. Played on UV with ZDoom.

This is a wonderful map. It has a nice rhythm and flow; a balanced consistency of gameplay. Love the music (love the unused version, too; very PSXDoom). No major bugs, just a couple of things I noticed.

-----
The room where you get the SSG - there are two doors in there. Since you have other doors in the level that are opened by a distant switch or opened from the other side, I went back twice to see if they opened. And again before I exited the map. If that was your intent, then it worked very nicely. I'm not used to seeing doors that never open. It just looks like there should be something past them. You even left room on the map.

http://i.imgur.com/NEAcQ84.png

-----
The two Hell Knights on platforms just NW of sector tag 13 - they're stuck on their platforms and can't come towards you so they can only attack from a distance. It felt like they should be guarding something. But they're not. I didn't know why they were there. I mean, I didn't know why they were Hell Knights, in a side room you didn't need to enter. There's a Box of Bullets there, but is that enough? Maybe this is a spot for a Blue Armor or a Berserk. Maybe the Hell Knights should be Chaingunners on UV. Or are they meant as another red herring?

It's probably just me. The lighting should probably lead you to the Hell Knights first, but I ran and found the Revenant and the switch, then found the Hell Knight room on the way back. And if you kill the first Hell Knight before you enter the room, then one Hell Knight guarding a Box of Bullets is okay. I ran in and had both of them to deal with. I guess I made it a bigger fight than was intended.

http://i.imgur.com/QIIV2oa.png

-----
The Caco just east of sector tag 13 - it can't navigate the angled jog out of its alcove to leave it and attack you.

http://i.imgur.com/mbByrxq.png

-----
The doors that are opened by the Blue Key switch, sector tag 5 - the Demon by the doors can't navigate the angled jog to leave its short hallway and attack you.

http://i.imgur.com/QvGUC6N.png

-----
The monster closet that opens when you grab the Red Key, sector tag 8 - the first two times through the Hell Knights couldn't get up the stairs out of the closet. The AV got out fine. The third time through, one Hell Knight did get out, but I don't know how. He couldn't come back down the stairs. I'm never sure which monsters can use 16-unit high steps and which can't, and which monsters need wider 8-unit high steps.

http://i.imgur.com/lBFEXrx.png
http://i.imgur.com/SWPDcve.png

-----
Noticed that the false Exit Door has a Yellow Skull Key indicator texture so you know it requires the Yellow Skull Key, and the real Exit Door does not, even though it also requires the Yellow Skull Key.

-----
The only other thing that stuck out was the amount of back-tracking you have to do to get from the Blue Key to the Blue Key Door. Monsters show up to make the trip more interesting, but man, that is a long haul. I kept making wrong turns and getting lost. I ended up just using the automap until I heard monsters.

Overall, a lot of fun. I really enjoyed it.

i still don't have much energy to produce new songs here, but if people want, i could touch up some old songs and post them here if there's any need for music.

mrthejoshmon said:

Rules of this project
- Maps must be in either Boom or Limit Removing format (Doom 2 format)

@EffinghamHuffnage Glad you liked it, and that song ins't a rejected, its the actual map song.

1 - That was intentional, we left that so the player keeps wondering what is behind those doors, glad you noticed that.

2 - Its a ammo wasting scheme.

3 - I didn't noticed that when i playtested it, but i made the corridor more wider so he could get out now.

4 - I push him more to where the player can exit the hell section, he is free now!

5 - Raised the stairs by 8 units so that the hell knights can easily get out now.

6 - That is a fail-safe, you need the yellow key to get out.

The map was designed piece by piece and we left out the gameplay for last, and since the first layout was finished we knew that this map would be a total maze and the automap would be necessary.

Download link to the fixed version:
https://www.mediafire.com/?cn7f1ethjn64bma

mrthejoshmon said:

- Maps must be in either Boom or Limit Removing format (Doom 2 format)

There are some differences between Doom 2 and Boom, so playing a Doom2-tested map with Boom compatibility might result in undesired behavior. Therefore, I recommend testing all maps with Boom compatibility, even if they were made in Doom 2 format.

Memfis said:

There are some differences between Doom 2 and Boom, so playing a Doom2-tested map with Boom compatibility might result in undesired behavior. Therefore, I recommend testing all maps with Boom compatibility, even if they were made in Doom 2 format.

I agree with this, i'm playtesting and making all my maps on boom format and when i play it on vanilla doom some things doesn't work properly.

KevinHEZ said:

I'm almost done with the layout and detailing of my new map for the project, and i decided to call it "Research and Development".

[img]http://i.imgur.com/3Row4Rg.jpg[img]

Trippy automap... :P

KevinHEZ said:

I'm almost done with the layout and detailing of my new map for the project, and i decided to call it "Research and Development".

Looks brilliant, can't wait to play it!

Cyberdemon531 said:

could I take a crack at an early game map?

Yes, yes you can.

Updated the link to my new map 'cause for some reason i forgot to tag the exit switch, sorry for those who downloaded it and couldn't exit the map.

Cyberdemon531 said:

Here's some shots of the map I'm working on.

Not bad, has a nice classic feel to it. One word of caution: Try to use similar colors on your flats and textures to make them clash less often. Example would be giving a gray flat on the gray bricks on the 2nd screen.