Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrthejoshmon

Another TNT Community Project?

Which of the premade maps should be used?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the premade maps should be used?

• Acid Assault?
    • Temple?
    • It Was a Dark and Stormy Night?
    • None, learn to map scrub!

Cyberdemon531 said:

playable demo, open to suggestions http://puu.sh/cCiHv/8c245fa08b.wad

edit: plays on map 2 btw

It's an okay map, it even reminds of TNT style quite a lot, which should be a good thing. I liked the layout and visual style, but only "half" of the gameplay. I see a problem with overly tedious fights throughout the whole map, due to "filler" monsters with too much health unnecessarily prolonging it. Difficulty isn't challenging enough, too - even the fights with a build-up weren't challenging at all. There's also really too much ammo in the map.

KevinHEZ said:

Anyone played "Research and Development" yet?

Yes. Played ZDoom on UV.
Since its MAP12, I gave myself full ammo.

Nice level! Big. Sprawling. Good design, good texturing, good detailing, great lighting; dark enough to be atmospheric, but not so dark you can't see where you're going. Although I found some of the Potions and Helmets by accident, backing away from an attack. Doesn't feel linear, even though it kinda is.

Obviously not meant for pistol start. Good thing, because I found the Yellow Key before I found the SSG. If I'd realized the nukage was non-damaging, I might have checked it out first. Since I didn't see a Rad Suit anywhere, I went the other way.

No Rocket Launcher, or Rockets. That's neither good nor bad, just an observation. I'm not used to seeing that weapon class excluded, especially in a map with large areas.

Monster placement was good. I never felt over-whelmed. The only really tough time was when the two AVs were released after you grab the Blue Key. I suppose if it was a Pistol start, the two Barons fight would have been harder, too. The first AV by the Blue Armor was a surprise, too. It seemed a quantum leap in monster difficulty. "Backing away" is my friend.

I have no real negatives here. There's no bugs, no gameplay issues. Maybe the Computer Map secret could have used a visual hint more than just happening to notice the wall on the automap. Otherwise, a very good, nicely-balanced level. Very enjoyable.

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Yes. Played ZDoom on UV.
Since its MAP12, I gave myself full ammo.

Nice level! Big. Sprawling. Good design, good texturing, good detailing, great lighting; dark enough to be atmospheric, but not so dark you can't see where you're going. Although I found some of the Potions and Helmets by accident, backing away from an attack. Doesn't feel linear, even though it kinda is.

Obviously not meant for pistol start. Good thing, because I found the Yellow Key before I found the SSG. If I'd realized the nukage was non-damaging, I might have checked it out first. Since I didn't see a Rad Suit anywhere, I went the other way.

No Rocket Launcher, or Rockets. That's neither good nor bad, just an observation. I'm not used to seeing that weapon class excluded, especially in a map with large areas.

Monster placement was good. I never felt over-whelmed. The only really tough time was when the two AVs were released after you grab the Blue Key. I suppose if it was a Pistol start, the two Barons fight would have been harder, too. The first AV by the Blue Armor was a surprise, too. It seemed a quantum leap in monster difficulty. "Backing away" is my friend.

I have no real negatives here. There's no bugs, no gameplay issues. Maybe the Computer Map secret could have used a visual hint more than just happening to notice the wall on the automap. Otherwise, a very good, nicely-balanced level. Very enjoyable.

You're supposed to explore to find good stuff like the plasma gun and ssg, it is a hard map and it's possible to complete it on UV-pistol start. Glad you liked it. :D

KevinHEZ said:

Hi Kevin - I just played through it. I thought the setting and the layout were very nice - it was a cool exploration map. I think it could possibly be pushed further in that direction with some more optional areas, or more expansive secrets. I played it from a pistol start and found the combat entertaining enough, but pretty incidental, since you give the player a lot of room to move, with wide open spaces and mostly only small clusters of monsters. This is no bad thing in itself, but I reckon you could make it more fun by making it tougher. Also, it's rare for threats to come at the player from more than a single direction, and they mostly all come horizontally, and this makes the wide open space doubly easy to abuse. Still, I enjoyed it :)

KevinHEZ said:

I did just now. Texturing, detailing and light work were pretty awesome, actually. Layout consisted just from rooms connected together, too much of the playable area was flat. Gameplay lacked action, the fights ended up non-threatening due to low monster density, way too simple placement (right in front of the player), and not enough traps or use of height variation during combat. Random monsters with high health that were tedious to kill, mostly without a real challenge; killing tough monsters with low-power weapons is also no fun. Don't underestimate these things, they make gameplay boring, and they considerably spoiled the map for me.

Now some less important complaints: Too many random corridors with dead ends, that could be improved. Secrets were just embarassing cuby-holes, also please provide better hints to them, more than just an automap oddity - for example different texture, candle or a non-obvious switch. Some doors had an unnatural "middle-speed" (neither slow nor fast, as in vanilla), maybe you should change it, it's a minor thing but felt a little odd, unnecessarily.

Visuals: 5/5. Layout: 3/5. Gameplay: 1.5/5. Overall: 3/5. You're a great designer, obviously, just put much more thought and effort into the weak parts. Gameplay > visuals; and even layouts themselves can be done to intrigue players with inventive ideas or efficient use of space.

durian said:

Hi Kevin - I just played through it. I thought the setting and the layout were very nice - it was a cool exploration map. I think it could possibly be pushed further in that direction with some more optional areas, or more expansive secrets. I played it from a pistol start and found the combat entertaining enough, but pretty incidental, since you give the player a lot of room to move, with wide open spaces and mostly only small clusters of monsters. This is no bad thing in itself, but I reckon you could make it more fun by making it tougher. Also, it's rare for threats to come at the player from more than a single direction, and they mostly all come horizontally, and this makes the wide open space doubly easy to abuse. Still, I enjoyed it :)

Thanks man, I appreciated the feedback. I'm currently working on putting some more secrets in the map, but i don't have any plans on expanding optional areas otherwise it will become one of those pretentious huge maps that fits nowhere in the entire megawad. I'm also working on monster placement because i'm not a very skilled doom player, so my definition of hard its very different.

sincity2100 said:

Here's my second entry for the project http://www.mediafire.com/download/7c02tgys95ij4go/Starship+Pain.wad Starship Pain

Play it on map 20

Starship Pain
ZDoom, UV

Pistol started this one. Very doable. The immediate SSG became necessary quickly.

---
This map proves the importance of the phrase "peeking around corners". If you just run into a room, you die. Lots. Once I figured that out, it was more fun. That also allowed for more in-fighting, which was very handy in the room with the Plasma Gun.

---
Rocket Launcher room and Red Key room:

RL room edges/windows need to be tagged impassable or monster-block. The Caco went through the 'window' out into 'space'.

The Chaingunners can see you from the edges of the RL room and start shooting at you. The two on the north side can also see you from the top of the stairs/edges of the Red Key room. It kind of spoils the trap. Maybe they and the ground should be lower. If it takes too long for them to rise, you could make it an instant-up.

You can trigger the trap by running at the red bars and crossing the linedefs at the corners of the platform. Not sure why you'd want to, but you can. Maybe the triggers should be on the edges of the red bars.

Not sure any of this even matters. After you raise the bars, you can grab the Red Key and be out of the room before any of the Chaningunners or Revenants can shoot.

---
The Yellow Key area - WTF? At first I thought "Different and very surprising. Looks cool". Then I remembered the level was called "Starship Pain". I was on a space ship. In space. I understand the concept of the "corrupting influence of Hell" on the ship. But I guess I was thinking "If Hell corrupted this section of the ship, what was it before it was corrupted?" The stairs I walked down - Where did they lead originally? Was this a cargo hold with Hellish crates? A flight deck with a twisted shuttle craft? Is the doorway into the room now a portal to an actual place in Hell? Should there be another door in a wall, but overgrown/twisted by Hell and unopenable? It just looks like a big empty cave in Hell. Maybe some more indication/decoration as to what the room is/was.

The second time through I took the teleport after the Yellow Key and ran right into a Manc who must have taken it before me while I was fighting the Cacos and the AV. It was unexpected. If you're okay with that possibility (or the AV taking the teleport), then never mind. Otherwise, maybe tag the teleport lines as monster-block.

---
Non-switch texture used as a switch: suggest adding a non-visible upper or lower switch texture to linedef tag 17, the switch which opens the secret Megasphere past the Yellow Key door. At least it'll make a sound when used. Also need a tag 17 on the inside of the lift to lower it once you're inside the closet. I got stuck.

---
The same as before for the Hell-corrupted area past the Yellow Key door, to the south. I don't know what the area is/was, but at least the architecture is more interesting.

Sector 286, the angled sector north of the Lost Soul room - the corner is sharply angled and narrow. The Baron couldn't make the turn and come at me to attack until I started Chaingunning him. Then he squeezed through. Maybe if the 45-degree angle wall were more rounded, it would be easier to navigate.

---
Again, if I'm in space, how is it I'm walking outside to get to the exit? In most other areas where you can see the star sky above, it feels more like a glass ceiling. The bridge area feels like outside. Should the outside sectors, or maybe just the bridge, be damaging?

And the exit is a little odd, too. You can see the star sky above the exit, so I'm not sure what the scrolling red sky exit doorway is. It's not a skybox, which might indicate a portal.

---
Overall, a good level. More linear than the last one, but the trip was fun.

Edit: My comments on the Yellow Key area obviously only apply to the map version for this project. Since you also submitted this map to Final Doom The Way Id Did, a big empty room is very appropriate for a TNT map for that project.