Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soundblock

editing doom2's iwad

Using SLADE3, and for my own perusal, I'm trying to replace a few textures in doom2.wad. Basically I'm tired of bumping into the Wolfenstein while browsing for textures to use while mapping. However, SLADE3 tells "Error: IWAD saving is diabled" when I try to do this. I can't find a toggle for it, no matter how many times my skipping eyes browse the program's preferences. Should I try XWE?

BIG BOLD WARNING FIRST (to you and anyone else that reads this topic!)

If you change the iwad, some ports will not recognize it, because they check the CRC of the wad before loading it. You might also have problems in multiplayer, or with other things that might expect a clean iwad. It is highly recommended not to do this, and to instead make another wad that you auto-load when you run whatever Doom port you choose. At least ZDoom and PrBoom+ support auto-loading of resources; for ports that don't, you can make a batch file that auto-loads stuff instead.

If you do want to modify the iwad, make sure you have a clean backup copy somewhere that you don't touch. This setting is hidden for a reason!

That out of the way: the setting is in slade3.cfg, located in %APPDATA%\SLADE3. it's named iwad_lock; setting it to 0 should let you modify the iwad.

plums said:

If you change the iwad, some ports will not recognize it, because they check the CRC of the wad before loading it.

That seems like a very effective anti-counterfeit/tampering measure. Do ports really do it, and how do they block the user?

plums said:

BIG BOLD WARNING FIRST (to you and anyone else that reads this topic!)

If you change the iwad, some ports will not recognize it, because they check the CRC of the wad before loading it. You might also have problems in multiplayer, or with other things that might expect a clean iwad. It is highly recommended not to do this, and to instead make another wad that you auto-load when you run whatever Doom port you choose. At least ZDoom and PrBoom+ support auto-loading of resources; for ports that don't, you can make a batch file that auto-loads stuff instead.

If you do want to modify the iwad, make sure you have a clean backup copy somewhere that you don't touch. This setting is hidden for a reason!

That out of the way: the setting is in slade3.cfg, located in %APPDATA%\SLADE3. it's named iwad_lock; setting it to 0 should let you modify the iwad.

I've got no slade3.cfg available in my installed slade3 folder, and searching my computer for the file yields no result. I'm running Windows 7. Do you know if I need an older OS or something?

Oh, and I am of course working off a renamed copy of doom2.wad - the modified iwad is only to be used during my DoomBuilder sessions. I'm just tired of seeing the swastikas and Hitler's mug is all - they're the textures that jump out the most and WWII doesn't do anything for my Doom mindset. I could add a new wad with identical texture names, but I fear Doombuilder would keep the original Wolfenstein textures still browsable.

As always plums - thanks a bunch - you're a star.

Doombuilder can load any number of resource packs (I believe) so having a resource pack with patches that replace the patches used for the zzzwolfx entries will display in your texture selection screen on db2 instead of the wolf3d textures.

Weird, are you using the latest version? (SLADE 3.1.0)

You could also try this:
* Go to View -> Console,
* type iwad_lock false in the console input line

Also, you're welcome :)

Printz: Don't know about all ports, but I think PrBoom+ will just not recognize the iwad, i.e. it will act as if the file doesn't exist if you try to use it as an iwad. I have mixed feelings about it, because it means that free replacement iwads like FreeDoom need to be white-listed to be usable.

Soundblock said:

I've got no slade3.cfg available in my installed slade3 folder, and searching my computer for the file yields no result. I'm running Windows 7. Do you know if I need an older OS or something?

In the Windows file explorer, replace the content of the address bar by %APPDATA%\SLADE3 and there you go.

Alternatively, if you want your cfg file in the same directory as the slade executable, create a file named "portable" (without extension) in that directory.

Soundblock said:

Oh, and I am of course working off a renamed copy of doom2.wad - the modified iwad is only to be used during my DoomBuilder sessions.

Are you using the original Doom Builder or DB2/GZDB? I can't remember if the first Builder used texture sets or not.

If you aren't using the first Builder then you can make a texture set with everything but the Wolf textures. Go to Tools -> Game Configurations. Choose the configuration you want, then click the Textures tab.

Hit Add Texture and type "A*" (minus the quotes). Then do B*, D*, etc. When you get to Z don't use Z*. You'd want ZI*, and ZZZ* too if you'd like the icon of sin face textures.

It's too bad Builder has no subtractive filter for texture names when making texture sets. It would make something like that much simpler.