Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Wads with huge height variations/deep underground maps

I just finished playing a wad where there was very little of the map at surface level, you entered an unassuming door and kept going down, deeper and deeper into the map. It was like o34s with 99% of the gameplay underground. Any notable wads that house a huge underground base, where the exit is about as far down as you can get in the doom engine? What about other wads that have very extreme height variations (not including jokewads)?

Are you going to tell us what it is that you played?

The first thing that comes to my mind is The Grotto from CC4, though it's not as extreme as what you're talking about. Black Rain from CC3 accomplishes something similar, though much of it is on the surface.

EDIT: While I'm thinking of Community Chests: that long spiral climb at the end of CC3 map20 is also pretty noteworthy.

Looking for height variations. Nothing beats Wolfenstein, nothing!

Just kidding....

Most of MAP08 of Requiem happens underground: it's quite impressive how much gameplay was packed into it, especially considering it's a vanilla map.

Misri Halek is the obvious one in my mind, though I'm not sure if it goes that deep in terms of actual -Y coordinates. It definitely has the 'go underground and there's this huge sprawling complex' concept on lock, though.

Ven said:

Jade Earth is a gigantic underground map. One of my favorites, too.

That was the one I was thinking about. Just could not remember the name, hence me recognizing Wolfenstein.

I was thinking of the stargate episode where there's an unassuming hut on the surface, but then goes down 174 floors to the actual complex.

The Rabbit Hole is worth mentioning - you drop down a deep hole and then work your way back to ground level to exit.

System Vices map06 has some very noticeable height differences in open areas, though in numerical terms it's nothing too huge. (The same can be said for Aboocean map05, by the same author.)

Andy's Wad has some stupid height differences (c. 16000 units).

As for wads based on real places, there's Murder2, based on a deep and dangerous cave (presumably this one).

And let's not forget Nuts3, where you can look across a height difference of nearly 6000 units.