Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Is risen3d with hd textures/models the most graphically advanced source port?

I used to stick by jdoom due to these features, even though that limited me to limit-removing only maps. zdoom is obviously more technically advanced (ignoring the few maps made for risen3d) but imo the models in comparison look amateurish (perfect example is the spiderdemon blowing up) in comparison. I know it isn't all about graphics, but if I couldn't indulge in risen3d every so often I probably wouldn't come back to doom anywhere nearly as often as I do. Is there anything I don't know about that blesses amazing looking models while keeping zdoom functionality? Hell, I'd even pay good money for someone to make decent models for zdoom.

You can use the Doomsday or Risen3D models in GZDoom, with some work (mostly writing the MODELDEF lump).

ZDoom itself doesn't use models. It could use voxels but there's no voxel monster pack as far as I know.

Gez said:

You can use the Doomsday or Risen3D models in GZDoom, with some work (mostly writing the MODELDEF lump).

How long do you reckon that would take for someone who knows what they're doing?

Screw models, gzdoom with smooth doom mod is the most beautiful doom I've seen. Also, voxels are super cool.

invictius said:

I used to stick by jdoom due to these features, even though that limited me to limit-removing only maps. zdoom is obviously more technically advanced (ignoring the few maps made for risen3d) but imo the models in comparison look amateurish (perfect example is the spiderdemon blowing up) in comparison. I know it isn't all about graphics, but if I couldn't indulge in risen3d every so often I probably wouldn't come back to doom anywhere nearly as often as I do. Is there anything I don't know about that blesses amazing looking models while keeping zdoom functionality? Hell, I'd even pay good money for someone to make decent models for zdoom.

Risen3D split from Doomsday over a decade ago and in that time I don't think Risen3D has added any graphical features (please correct me if I am wrong?), but Doomsday has. The Risen3D model packs can be quickly converted to Doomsday with just some Ded definition syntax changes; GZDoom doesn't support all of Risen3D/Doomsday's model features.

Obviously though, one may have a personal preference toward the appearance of Risen3D's 'packaged visual resources' and mods versus Doomsday and GZDoom.

Risen3D's 'packaged visual resources' are generally newer than Doomsday's, but you can find other models that one may or may not consider better, around the Doomsday forums. Though as of writing, mainly for Heretic and HeXen.

Vermil said:

The Risen3D model packs can be quickly converted to Doomsday with just some Ded definition syntax changes; GZDoom doesn't support all of Risen3D/Doomsday's model features.

I had heard of that. Honestly the only risen3d models that I think are a bit lame are the cyber and spiderdemon ones. Oh, and the muzzle flash of the chaingun. Would these specifically have any compatibility issues with gzdoom?

Gez said:

ZDoom itself doesn't use models. It could use voxels but there's no voxel monster pack as far as I know.

Forgive the necropost, but has anyone converted the Risen3D models to work in GZDoom? I want to give them a try.

Thanks!

The only feature that Risen 3D has over GZDoom is vertex shading on models, in my opinion. Not having MD3 support is also kind of a deal-breaker for me.

I tried making a map for Risen 3D at some point, but I couldn't get over the work-flow of its map-type. Mapping in Doom in Hexen format and UDMF just feels so much more intuitive to me.