Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Flesh420

Gauntlet

I don't know how many fans are on the forums of the first few Gauntlets, but damn.... I've had more fun playing the 2014 Gauntlet than I've had with a game in a very long time. Anyone else playing it?

I have memories of playing the PS1 version of Gauntlet which I think was a port of the N64 version with a couple of guys in my neighborhood in my irascible youth. A few years later I moved on to Gauntlet: Dark Legacy for PS2 which I played for hundreds of hours. Whenever friends came over to my house I would tell them, "listen we have to make you a character real quick", 6 hours later we would have beaten the first two bosses and entered the Sky Domain or some crazy shit.

Honestly I tried Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows or whatever the hell it was but I thought they nerfed the concept, just dropped the ball. Like it didn't feel like an arcade game anymore. Where was the zaniness, cheesy spooky feeling, over the top gore. Now all of a sudden the game was taking itself seriously?

How is the new edition playing so far?

I only remember the old arcade game and the NES ports. I remember even as a kid thinking it was stupid you could just run into things to whittle them down while damaging yourself. There are interviews with the game devs on the Williams Arcade Classics collection.

I am not too thrilled looking at the new Gauntlet. It looks like several other games.

I thought the new one looked kind of interesting. I wouldn't mind trying it out since I enjoyed playing the first couple of games with a group of friends (mostly on Midway Arcade Treasures).

TheCupboard said:

I have memories of playing the PS1 version of Gauntlet which I think was a port of the N64 version with a couple of guys in my neighborhood in my irascible youth. A few years later I moved on to Gauntlet: Dark Legacy for PS2 which I played for hundreds of hours. Whenever friends came over to my house I would tell them, "listen we have to make you a character real quick", 6 hours later we would have beaten the first two bosses and entered the Sky Domain or some crazy shit.

Honestly I tried Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows or whatever the hell it was but I thought they nerfed the concept, just dropped the ball. Like it didn't feel like an arcade game anymore. Where was the zaniness, cheesy spooky feeling, over the top gore. Now all of a sudden the game was taking itself seriously?

How is the new edition playing so far?

It's pretty good, man. At first I thought the mastery tree would be weird but it's actually pretty effin sweet. If you have a friend or two to play it with, you'll time travel again ;). One thing that sucks, only if you're playing with random morons, is there's no way to chat currently which I think is going to be addressed in a patch. So if some jackass starts hogging the food when others need it, or potions, it can be frustrating. But most people seem to be pretty cool about food and potions.

Last time I played gauntlet was on nes somewhere in the early 90's. Maybe now its time to give gauntlet another spin

Aw fuck, I thought of preordering it when I saw the gameplay trailer, but some things had come up. I'll grab a copy once they release a patch or two to fix the post-release bugs. Sadly, it seems like this is SOP for a good number of years.

I watched a few playthroughs of the NES Gauntlet and the game hasn't aged very well. The graphics are as I remember them, but the difficulty is insane. The ticking timer fucks over slower characters badly (especially in the treasure rooms), and there's little food to restore health. You also had to find several secret rooms to get letters of a combination lock for the final level, and since there was no backtracking, playing to the end meant fuck-all if you didn't get every last letter.

I never played the arcade versions of Gauntlet Legends/Dark Legacy, but I do like the gameplay additions for the Gamecube and Xbox versions:

• a hub system where you can go back to previous levels to farm
  • an inventory system for carrying special items and selling them at the shop
  • a bit more complex control system that has twin-stick shooter controls and melee AOE attacks without using Potions or Turbo attacks
It's too bad the inventory system was borked for some reason. Carrying 10 items would make the 11th item inaccessible for the rest of the game, so I had to keep track of what items I needed and stayed below 10. There was also a bug that kept random items in your inventory from being sold to the shop, so I couldn't pick up every item willy-nilly and get some gold for them later on. If the inventory system had these bugs fixed, I'd be a happy camper in the game.

My favorite character is the Valkyrie because I tend to favor balance and versatility. Also because she was drawn scantily clad. At least the new one has more reasonable-looking armor.

Been playing it on and off since day one. Fun so far, but I've only tried the singleplayer experience so far.

I played one of the cabinet games (Whatever one was ported to the N64) a shit ton at this skating rink that no longer exists. Good memories. If anyone here wants to co-op I'll gladly join.

I miss the color themes though, like the cabinet (Dark Legacy maybe?) had a yellow team who was Ancient Egypt oriented, and Blue looked like the Crusaders, etc. This game seems to be more in line with the orignals, which I played a port of on GBA.

So is this now a dungeon crawler or hack and slash instead of old school?

Me and one of my old roommates spent countless hours on Gauntlet II, as it was released on one of the 'Midway Arcade Classics' compilations for PS2.

Inkie said:

Wizard needs food.

Badly.

Red wizard. Is about to die.

I agree that Dark Legacy was probably the best of the series. If they can recapture that hack & slash feel without being too GRIMDARK, I'd buy that for a dollar.

Bucket said:

I agree that Dark Legacy was probably the best of the series. If they can recapture that hack & slash feel without being too GRIMDARK, I'd buy that for a dollar.