Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

any way to make usb devices cordless?

Here's the situation. I have a fairly spiffy gaming keyboard and mouse (keyboard has mechanical keys and the mouse has about 15 buttons) but they're wired, which is a pain. Now I could have sworn that there was once usb cables that would allow a device to be used wirelessly, but haven't seen them of late. Is there any way to do this?

Wireless mice and keyboards come with their own wireless USB receivers that are small and plug into the computer.

But retrofitting a wired device to use Wireless USB is a PITA, and not really worth it once you weigh your options. You could probably get a wireless USB extender such as this one:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=4505

but as they still require power (and lots of it), and at the end you'll just be able to have a sort of "wireless USB router" somewhere away from your computer, e.g. near your couch , choked at 54 mbps, and still with cables running around your feet (quite literally, too). In general, such devices suck so much that almost nobody today remembers Wireless USB.

I can imagine a smaller, let's say, 1-port battery-powered model that you dangle off a keyboard's or mouse cable on one end, but IMO the concept sucks. Powering a desktop mouse and keyboard with no power saving features from batteries? No thanks.

Range and speed would also be barely suitable for input devices, so rather than buying such a POS I'd get a wireless keyboard and mouse combo, which are also much more likely to be optimized for the job.

Krispy said:

Aren't you worried about lag?

Lag with actual wireless keyboards and mice seem to be somewhere in between not noticeable and negligible. I wouldn't be worried about not having a wireless setup if I were seated at a desk, but I'm using a 50" plasma as my main display, with me seated on the couch about a meter back. Cables for devices you frequently take on and off the couch are an absolute nightmare.

With the available solutions, you'd still have to plug the keyboard and mouse to a kind of -smaller- computer (the wireless USB router), which would also need to be near a power outlet and near your couch, with cables sticking out of it.

Are you sure that this what you want? Or you really were looking for a way to lose the cables altogether, with some sort of wireless + battery power mod, while keeping the rest of the keyboard/mouse intact?

If I were you, I'd simply get a couple of USB cable extenders (or make them myself, they can be made cheaply with Ethernet cable), hide them under a carpet or along a wall, and have the plugs come out somewhere near my couch (or even a wall socket).

As far as wireless lag, unless you live somewhere with serious interference problems in general it is pretty much non existent IMHO. I would just go with the new wireless keyboard and mouse.

I believe Logitech only requires one receiver for both keyboard and mouse with certain configurations, but you have to beware of efforts to load extra crap software on your PC. Maybe you are ok with that but I hate it.

I have a razor wireless mouse and it also lets you plug in directly, no software needed bc you can control the resolution with buttons that are on the mouse. I would recommend it to a friend lol.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-mamba

rampancy said:

As far as wireless lag, unless you live somewhere with serious interference problems in general it is pretty much non existent IMHO. I would just go with the new wireless keyboard and mouse.

I believe Logitech only requires one receiver for both keyboard and mouse with certain configurations, but you have to beware of efforts to load extra crap software on your PC. Maybe you are ok with that but I hate it.

I have a razor wireless mouse and it also lets you plug in directly, no software needed bc you can control the resolution with buttons that are on the mouse. I would recommend it to a friend lol.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-mamba

Basically I have an MMO mouse and mechanical keyboard. I've never seen cordless versions of these. Atm with my regular wireless kb/mouse combo, I can just chuck it on the couch next to me when finished. I guess this is why I have tangling issues:

Ho Lee Fuk :)

This one is a wireless mmo mouse:

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-naga-epic

Not sure about a wireless keyboard Maes might be right about you needing to run some cables around the room or something. If you aren't renting running them to sockets might be a project. We did Ethernet through the walls to outlets in my house and it was worth it.

Personally I was disappointed no one ever worked out drivers for the xbox 360 controller chat pad thing. That would be the greatest thing ever if you could use that as a keyboard/mouse for lazy couch gaming.

Edit: Someone did, when I wasn't looking! I will be testing it out soon.

https://code.google.com/p/xbox360wirelesschatpad/

rampancy said:

Personally I was disappointed no one ever worked out drivers for the xbox 360 controller chat pad thing. That would be the greatest thing ever if you could use that as a keyboard/mouse for lazy couch gaming.

I take it using a corded controller isn't an option? I'm pretty sure the chatpad drivers do work with those, I just haven't done it myself.

Well a year or two ago when I looked into it there was no chat pad support but now there is! I added a link to my earlier post. I'm trying not to get too excited yet but it could be f-ing awesome.