Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Have ATI opengl drivers improved lately?

I'm looking at getting a radeon 280x as it's a good $100-$150 cheaper than the equivelant geforce, but I recall the opengl performance of them being absolute rubbish. Is this no longer the case? And if it is, wouldn't the sheer overkill-ness of the card for doom mean that it just wouldn't matter for running source ports (even with models etc)?

This is just a guess because I honestly wouldn't know, but I'd think with Mantle on the horizon that AMD won't be putting any focus on OpenGL drivers. :/

Nomad said:

This is just a guess because I honestly wouldn't know, but I'd think with Mantle on the horizon that AMD won't be putting any focus on OpenGL drivers. :/

I guess I should have called this thread "has gzdoom compatibility improved with AMD cards lately?"

GZDoom runs absolutely fine on a 280x. It's neither slow nor buggy.

If you are building with new games in mind, ati isn't necessarily a bad way to go since at this point both major consoles are ati and most PC games are ports as far as I can tell. Typically though, I have avoided ati because of their poor opengl support. I ditched them when Michael ryssen released doom gl and my rage pro couldn't hack it.

I guess I do owe ati though in a sense, it was having to install special drivers to play gl quake 2 that got me started down the rabbit hole a long time ago.

If you don't need OpenGL, it should be fine.

But if you do need OpenGL, sorry, there has been no improvement. Current drivers are still bogged down by poor draw call performance (making a draw call is 20 times slower than NVidia!) and some really odd things can happen if you try to use some program that requires some more recent features.