Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

prBoom+ and Eternity

Out of curiosity, what are all the features that prBoom + has that Eternity Engine currently lacks? And does Eternity plan to implement any of them in the future?

The obvious: complevels. Eternity has vanilla and I think Boom compatibility modes, which is sufficient for 99% of the cases. And compatibility hacks are enough of a burden that I don't think EE is going to bother implementing things like LxDoom or DOSDoom demo compat.

PrB+ also has other convenient demo support features, like if you run it with a demo, it'll automatically fetch the correct WAD files to load. I'm not sure EE has such a thing. And there is, of course, the -viddump feature where PrB+ will render a demo into a video.

What else has PrB+ got?
- Advanced node formats support (DeepBSP and ZDBSP): check, at least ZDBSP
- MUSINFO: check
- OPL emulation: not check
- OGG/MP3: check I think
- Customizable HUDs: I don't think so, though I'm not sure this is really meant as a modding feature in PrBoom+ anyway

Then there's GLB+:
- Hi-res textures: check IIRC
- PNG check, DDS not check
- GLDEFS skyboxes: not check
- Animation blending: not check AFAIK
- Freelook: check
- Detail textures: not check
- Textured automap: not check I think

I should get off my ass and finish MUSINFO now that the line and sector special systems have been fully generalized :V

Gez said:

PrB+ also has other convenient demo support features, like if you run it with a demo, it'll automatically fetch the correct WAD files to load.

How does it do that? Vanilla demos do not contain any wad reference! Does it require a reference to exist if the demo format supports it, or does it deduce it through any means available (e.g. hash database)?

Since it's been quite some time since I made this topic and I haven't kept up with Eternity's progress, how much (if any) of this has been implemented now?

I've just discovered that while both PRBoom+ and Eternity restore the secret exit to Betray in Doom 2 BFG Edition (as do a number of other ports), PRBoom+ goes a step further by automatically changing the glitchy leftover WolfSS in that level to a zombieman.

Edit: So it turns out that's not unique to Map33. As long as the IWAD is Doom 2 BFG Edition, PRBoom+ will replace any WolfSS in a PWAD with zombiemen. So if you try to run this patch with PRBoom+ (and apparently Crispy Doom too), all you'll get are some restored textures. This is fascinating to me but it's also having less and less to do with Eternity so I guess this is no longer the thread for it.

Edited by SiFi270