dew

Miscellaneous demos (part 3) [please post in part 4 instead]

All Hell D2ALL UV-Max in 16:53.
D2ALL UV-Speed in 3:39.
Map 1 -fast in 1:20.
Map 1 Stroller in 0:45.
Map 4 NM-Speed in 1:16.
Map 5 Stroller in 0:32.

Basically done filling this wad, as there aren't any other categories I would be interested in doing for the rest of the maps. Map 3's the only map uncompleted on NM, but it looks too hard for me.

ah_shock3.zip

Grazza said:

Vampire 5 or Frodo 5 by by Darrell Bircsak

E1M1 UV Speed in 0:32

A monster-opens-door trick. There's a void glide possible in this map, but it's useless.

Fine, but without the trick you can get something around 0:20...

Ah, call it trickaholic then (which is rather close to the truth, in fact...). :p

It drives me nuts when I find a cool trick but it's useless >(

Especially if it's a rocket jump on a map with no rocket launcher :D

Here's a keyboard-only FDA for that map. I've never played this way before -- WASD in left hand, directional arrows and CTRL in right. Probably a bad keyboarding setup.

Unsurprisingly, I end up being comically clumsy, to noobish proportions.

(Please don't upload to DSDA.)

v5f5_rdwpa_keyboardonly_fda.zip

rdwpa said:

Here's a keyboard-only FDA for that map. I've never played this way before -- WASD in left hand, directional arrows and CTRL in right. Probably a bad keyboarding setup.

Unsurprisingly, I end up being comically clumsy, to noobish proportions.

What's YOUR keyboard setup? I use arrow keys. ins and del for strafe, space for use and mouse for looking n shooting. I can NEVER play without mouse.

rehelekretep said:

why the hell are you using the arrow keys? :D

Don't know, man. From the very beginning I'm using them :D

I'm sorry to inform you that pacifist records also count as speed records as they meet all speed criteria. A NM100s record would also qualify for a nightmare speed record and a tyson with all secrets triggered would count as max.

yeah but pacifist and uv speed being in different spots on dsda always upsets me so I'll always shoot an enemy in a uv speed just to prevent it from being pacifist too. :^)

This SUXX! UV-Speed and UV-Maxes. Most pacifist/speed records from DSDA beaten, and most maxes filled (also my one max on DSDA was beaten as well). Also did D2ALL UV-Max in 13:21 because there were too many maps I couldn't max from pistol start.

ts_lmps.zip

Hexen Berserker Difficulty Speedrun in 26:45

youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqYH27_4ZPk

No demo, as hexen demo recording is hard to deal with (the truth is that I use save and loads so wouldn't matter).

This is a terrible run, so why did I even post this? well, there's been some new and really awesome tricks discovered. Hexen is obviously very similar to doom, but there are differences (like jumping). Hexen guy (maybe he has a name I don't know), is like doomguy 32x32 units so glides are possible, but what if you have the same wall angles as e2m6 for doom, can you do a void glide? The answer is yes, but afaik not without jumping, the help of monsters and only with fighter class, something that took several hours for me to figure out. Now it just so happens you can skip almost an entire hub (there are 5 hubs) by using a void glide, so around 24:30 into this video you can see it done. Figured I'd post it here incase anyone is interested (I didn't want to necro some random hexen thread or make a new one).

There's also a couple of other tricks that I discovered, they were earlier discovered by JCD and Ch0wW, like glide on hub 3 and fence clip on hub 4, they are also included in this run. Both the fence clip on hub 4 and void glide on hub 5 are very luck dependent afaik.

Time is almost 2 minutes faster than the previous record, sourceport was crispy doom.

ZeroMaster010 said:

Hexen guy (maybe he has a name I don't know), is like doomguy 32x32 units so glides are possible, but what if you have the same wall angles as e2m6 for doom, can you do a void glide? The answer is yes, but afaik not without jumping, the help of monsters and only with fighter class, something that took several hours for me to figure out.

Immediate thought is "He's mentioning the time taken when the 100x more pressing question is 'How the hell did he figure this out . . . at all?'"

I wrote a bit more on it in the youtube description, I'll copy it here:

"Looking at the map geometry of the starting area for Hub 5 I thought maybe a void glide would be possible, but again because of differences in Hexen compared to Doom I was not able to do them. There are usually 3 things you need to check for when you want a void glide to be useful. The first one is if you can actually move anywhere once you get into the void, which in this case you can. The second thing to check is if you can actually do anything useful from the void, like in e2m6 for doom you can hit the exit switch. In Hexen there is no exit switch so I would need to clip back into the map, and by accident I woke up the monster by the exit using cheats and managed to use him to get back inside! I forgot about the Disc of Repulsion and without cheats instead managed to use the Porkalator through the wall initially, but I had to be in a very specific spot for that to work, the disc however is very easy to use to wake up the monster inside.

So with 2 of the 3 criteria being met, and the map geometry being there, I spent a few hours running against a wall trying different classes, different speeds, different angles with and without boots of speed and with and without jumping!... and finally with monsters when I eventually managed to clip outside. I had no idea if it was even possible, but once I got it the first time, it was all a matter of finding the most consistent way of doing it. I use the Boots of Speed with a specific angle, jumping and monster position for it to work. Then I can simply exit the level, skipping right to the final level!"

This Suxx by Team Suxx

Map32 Nightmare! Speed in 0:13

On UV, the problem is getting the archie to attack quickly enough. On NM the problem is that it attacks too quickly, which is why I gave up on this in 2003. And I have tried it every day since, and finally succeeded today.

{No, that's a lie of course. It only took a few attempts.}

I noticed an oddity: on NM, live keens "respawn" every so often (see the txt for more on this). Has this ever been discussed or explained?

ts32n013.zip

Grazza said:

I noticed an oddity: on NM, live keens "respawn" every so often (see the txt for more on this). Has this ever been discussed or explained?

I have encountered this in the past on some other map (maybe it was Doom 2 map 32 when I was doing NM100), but I never looked into it too much. I guess whatever check the game does to see if a monster is dead/can respawn fails on Keens? Not sure, though, it would be interesting to find out why this happens.