Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dew

Miscellaneous demos (part 3) [please post in part 4 instead]

Welcome to the Miscellaneous Demos thread!

This thread is the place to post your demos on maps and wads that haven't so far attracted a great deal of attention from the demos community.

If your demo fits into a pre-existing thread, then it is better to post it there. Megawads and episodes, for example, usually get their own threads.

Note also that this thread is for unassisted (non-TAS) demos. There is also a thread in this forum for Miscellaneous TAS demos.

If you're looking for older miscellaneous demos, check out part 1 or part 2 of this multi-thread.

January 2022: We are closing this thread for precautionary reasons (it's grown too large yet again), please use part 4 instead.

Edited by dew : thread might break down from sheer size, new part needed

#DooM Speedmapping Session 1 Map 01 Pacifist in 0:31.
Map 02 Pacifist in 0:02.66.
Map 02 UV-Max in 0:23.
Map 03 UV-Speed in 0:12.
Map 03 Pacifist in 0:15.
Map 04 UV-Speed in 0:20.
Map 06 UV-Speed in 0:29.
Map 07 Pacifist in 0:26.
Map 07 Nomo in 0:24.74.
Map 09 Pacifist in 0:08.94.
Map 10 UV-Speed in 0:18.
Map 10 UV-Max in 1:17.
Map 10 Pacifist in 0:23.
Map 10 Nomo in 0:13.91.

hd1runs.zip

GrumpyCat said:

Awesome!
Looks like one rev survived though...

Nah, it's an Archie inside the four Revenant pillar. He is practically unkillable and neither demo on the archives has him dead :) Unless there is some other Rev roaming free that I can't see? Other than the four on the pillar that the Archie will immediately rezz of course.

Veinen said:

Nah, it's an Archie inside the four Revenant pillar. He is practically unkillable and neither demo on the archives has him dead :) Unless there is some other Rev roaming free that I can't see? Other than the four on the pillar that the Archie will immediately rezz of course.

Yes, one on the pillar, now I see, thanks!
I didn't know this level before, looks great.

Yeah, this NokturnuS fellow is an amazing and underrated level designer. Can't Run From Evil gets an occasional praise in the other subforums but I had never even heard of this demonizd.wad before randomly stumbling upon it while browsing the archives for something to record. Both of the levels in this wad are really top notch quality and would definitely deserve more recognition.

It got plenty of recognition at the time of its release. If it is not so well-known now, then it's a "forgotten classic" rather than an overlooked one.

Agreed about NokturnuS making cool maps. Maybe if he released stuff more often or posted more in the forums (he's a lurker) his stuff wouldn't be "forgotten" classics. I remember watching Belial's maxes for Realm of Shades back when he recorded them (also a cool wad), and then I came across that wad again while playing through /idgames wads from the beginning.

Grazza said:

This one has been sitting on my hard disk for ten years, "awaiting improvement".

Deepatak NM Speed in 2:47

Nice one. The wad looked like it's from the 90's but I couldn't find it on /idgames, do you know why?

There's a later version of the wad in the archive. It uses some nice Boom features but some of the shortcuts are blocked off, which is why I used the earlier version.

More info and versions here.

All Hell Is Breaking Loose!!! map 1 UV-Max in 1:22.
map 1 Pacifist in 0:18.
map 1 UV Tyson in 1:57.
map 1 Nomo in 0:16.97.
map 2 UV-Max in 1:28.
map 2 Pacifist in 0:13.
map 2 Nomo in 0:11.94.
map 3 UV-Max in 2:48.
map 3 Nomo in 0:34.43.
map 4 Nomo in 0:32.34.
map 5 UV-Max in 3:50.
map 5 Pacifist in 0:19.
map 5 Nomo in 0:18.74.
D2ALL Nomo in 1:56.

ahruns.zip

4shockblast said:

Thanks for these. Annoying to record they may have been as you say, but very pleasant to watch. MAP01 Tyson: I didn't remember they changed that imp gib animation, cool. MAP05 Max: love it for the monsters. And excellent commentary. I share your not-so-positive view of the maps.

vdgg said:

Thanks for these. Annoying to record they may have been as you say, but very pleasant to watch. MAP01 Tyson: I didn't remember they changed that imp gib animation, cool. MAP05 Max: love it for the monsters. And excellent commentary. I share your not-so-positive view of the maps.

Thanks for the comment. :)

Map 2 seemed like it'd be annoying at first, but it wasn't so bad after taking a break from it; the maps are a pretty unpleasant casual experience for me simply because they aren't very interesting and usually end abruptly, so when I first wanted to record demos for this, my experience was colored by my casual opinion of the maps. As a speedrun, map 2 is pretty fine UV-Max. Map 3 was the one that was actually not very fun even speedrun-wise, and 5 was actually pretty fun to blast through despite the luck factor. Nomos on 3 and 4 were definitely kind of annoying but short.

Hitscanner gib animation was also changed significantly; for whatever reason, they burn to charred gibs, which looks kind of cool, but it also looks confusing if it happens after a berserk punch.