Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dew

Miscellaneous demos (part 3) [please post in part 4 instead]

Grazza said:

Your zip only includes the FDAs, and not the Pacifist in 0:08.

It's odd that in the FDA you try to get through some right-angle vertices that aren't east-facing. As far as I am aware, that is the only geometry of this type for which void glides have been demonstrated to work. Or has there been a new discovery that I missed?

Whoops, fixed.

I don't always think about which direction I'm trying void glides or fence glides in FDAs - often I'll just try random corners that look kinda right and go from there. :D The others I tried would not have worked to my knowledge.

On an unrelated side note, after opening the map in Doom Builder, I realized that there are two maps in the wad, maps 1 and 3, but it looks like they're just exact copies of each other, heh.

Null Space by Russell Pearson UV Max in 16:32. I think it was a famous WAD back when it was released, for its visuals. While I'm not super attracted, I felt sorry for my a bit too harsh /idgames review, as the level plays pretty well if you know where the weapons are.

nul-1632.zip

rdwpa said:

Solid forty-minute improvement.

Well, Rich was killing monsters one by one and didn't use BFG at all, so I didn't even mention that.

Sheer Poison UV Max in 32:21.

Aaaaaawesome map!! Seemed impossible for me at first, but after a while I knew it was a matter of time to crack it. First exit.

shp-3221.zip

Odessa 13 UV Max 6:20
Not too long, good gameplay, berserk+SSG action mainly.
Odessa 14 UV Max 19:05
I don't think I played this one before, even though it was always accessible. Really good! Good custom textures, good fights, even the wooden maze was cool.

odessas.zip

vdgg said:

The Cursed Temple by Paul977 (Jens Nielsen incarnation), UV Max in 10:16

Cool demo vdgg :), you are right there still are some misalignments mainly because I was a noob with DB2 at the time and didn't know about auto alignment :/
Also that Gather2 map 05 seems good I have to give it a shot

I have a small question on recording etiquette. If a map exists as a separate wad and is also included in a compilation (e.g. Heroes 2), is it preferable that I record on the former or the latter? I think it's kinda neat when it's together with a bunch of other maps on one DSDA page, and some levels are better known as a part of a compilation. But maybe recording on the original is more respectful, if you know what I mean? Also sometimes the version in the compilation has some differences (e.g. compare Jon Landis' !WOW!.WAD to E1M8 of Heroes).

Heh, I don't think there's an established custom for it, because it's such a rare occurrence. It's probably saner for posterior navigation to go with the more organized format and record for the larger mapset. Another interpretation could be that the "later" release is the intended one, that's why the mapper is reusing it, right? But that can create ambiguity, because the earlier release could already have demo activity...

I don't think you can get a clear general rule on this, tbh. Go with what makes more sense in every case.

Yeah, it's not so simple. I guess you can first check if there are already some demos. If yes, then just follow what the previous recorders did. If not, I would probably prefer playing the compilation version, unless there are some really big differences.

Sure, that's a fairly methodical and sensible approach! Although it wouldn't be complete with a couple of big buts. :)

Take Thunderpeak for instance. The pair of maps creates its own small story that is not connected to the rest of Zpack where it was originally released as e1m8/9. Then it was released separately, because it was getting drowned out in the sea of medicority that was Zpack. That may or may not be the real reason, heh. The standalone even got a Cacoward, so it's certainly notorious. Basically in this example I'd say it makes sense to record on both, depending on the player's intent to either run just on Thunderpeak, or do other Zpack maps as well.