Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dew

Miscellaneous demos (part 3) [please post in part 4 instead]

On 12/13/2014 at 2:28 PM, TimeOfDeath said:

Another map from 2002, The Flood Gates max in 12:48.

floodgat-1248-tod-pr2513.zip

Wow. When I released this map 15 years ago, I never imagined a speedrunner would make a demo for it 12 years later. It was such a shitty map, even by the standards of that time period. I knew almost nothing about making maps when I started creating it. I'm flattered that someone found a noob map like that worthy of a speedrun ;)

Had me scrambling to find a way to play it back after 11 years of absence from anything Doom related. Thankfully someone created a port called Chocolate Doom which could play Vanilla demos.

Edited by Niya

3 hours ago, Niya said:

It was such a shitty map, even by the standards of that time period.

No it wasn't. I suppose as the author you can see nothing but flaws in it, but no, I disagree. I played it a month or two after it came out. It stuck in the memory as being about the only case of a single-map wad in which I felt compelled to use several save slots in rotation. I don't think I ever went back and did it again saveless; I must rectify this at some point. Anyway, thanks for making it. Did you ever make anything else besides it and The Cross? I think there was a followup named Asylum but not sure if it was ever released.

1 hour ago, RjY said:

No it wasn't. I suppose as the author you can see nothing but flaws in it, but no, I disagree.

Well thanks for the endorsement. Glad you enjoyed it. But yea, as the author looking at it today with all the things I learned in the years following it's release, I can see a whole lot I did horribly wrong, the most glaring of which is the sheer amount of unaligned textures and incoherent themes. But I suppose in terms of noobie maps, it's quite good. I've seen some truly horrendous noob maps in my day. A noob map in the late 90s was like 3 or 4 rooms filled with Cybers and no exit lol.....

1 hour ago, RjY said:

Anyway, thanks for making it. Did you ever make anything else besides it and The Cross? I think there was a followup named Asylum but not sure if it was ever released.

Hmmm. I guess I should have used a less generic name than "John" lol.....I never made any map by the name of Cross or Asylum(I assume you searched by the name I gave in the text file). I only ever made 3 complete maps. My very first, was a small map that was lost in an HD crash and was never released. The Flood Gates was my first actual release. Deadly Alliance followed a few years later. It was a ZDoom slaughter map, an improvement from Flood Gates but still not all that good. I was working on Deadly Alliance 2 when I left. Only managed to complete about half a dozen rooms before I moved on from Doom. I actually found the incomplete DA2 today and I was surprised by how much I had improved. It would have been my first decent map if I had completed it.

Anyways, I'm currently working on another map. It's been 11 years and I'm a bit rusty. I was looking at my incomplete DA2 and couldn't believe I made that. I was just starting to get good. I certainly couldn't do now what I was doing in DA2. But I still have a good handle on all the technical stuff like texture alignment, ACS, DECORATE, engine quirks etc so I guess we'll see but I still gotta re-learn a lot of stuff, mostly related to aesthetics.

Edited by Niya

17 minutes ago, Niya said:

Hmmm. I guess I should have used a less generic name than "John" lol.....I never made any map by the name of Cross or Asylum(I assume you searched by the name I gave in the text file)

I assumed The Cross (idgames/levels/doom2/a-c/cross2) was by you, as the author name is also John, and the text file mentions "my earlier released but newer map THE FLOODGATES" (and "Look for my next release ASYLUM, coming soon"). Furthermore it was from the same time period (2002 again, May this time). If it's not yours, I do apologise -- but what a remarkable coincidence!

6 hours ago, RjY said:

I assumed The Cross (idgames/levels/doom2/a-c/cross2) was by you, as the author name is also John, and the text file mentions "my earlier released but newer map THE FLOODGATES" (and "Look for my next release ASYLUM, coming soon"). Furthermore it was from the same time period (2002 again, May this time). If it's not yours, I do apologise -- but what a remarkable coincidence!

Wow. How in God's name did you even find this. One of the first things I did when I starting playing again was to look up old maps I remember, including the ones I made. I absolutely cannot remember making and releasing this. In fact I wouldn't have believed you if I didn't read the text file myself, it was definitely written by me. The tone of the description alone was enough to recognize it as my own.  The quip about unaligned textures being identical to the one in Flood Gates is a giveaway too. Finally, the combination of Zennode and DCK as editors used is a signature of sorts. In the early 2000s, DEU/WinDEU, WadAuthor and DeePsea were the more popular Map editors and BSP(I think ?) was the node builder of choice. Very very few people listed DCK and Zennode together as their editors. DCK was still a very new editor if I recalled, almost becoming the DoomBuilder of the day.

Even while I played it, it felt vaguely familiar. And while I can't recall it's creation, there were quite a few things that betrayed my touch. I had a huge hard on for fading sectors and trapezoid/rectangular shaped sector based lighting. Lighting textures on window edges is also very me. I used to put them on every window regardless of theme.

As for Asylum, well I don't think I ever released it or even made it, although given I couldn't even remember this map, I hesitate to claim that as fact lol. The only other map I could recall was the one I mentioned I lost in an HD crash, a map called the Catacombs that was built using WinDEU. That was the very first map I ever made.

Anyways, thanks for finding this. I would have never found this since I have no memory whatsoever of making it. And forgive me for doubting you. Amazing what one can forget in 15 years.

Edited by Niya

ETERNITY.WAD

All maps UV-Speed in 17:43

eterall-1743.zip

NUKEMINE.WAD

All maps UV-Speed in 6:29

nm-629.zip

Evshrine.wad

All maps UV-Speed in 4:39

evs-439.zip

Some cybercontrol demos: cybercontrol_demos2.zip

MAP01 UV-Speed in 0:19

MAP02 UV-Speed in 0:26

MAP05 UV-Speed in 0:18

MAP06 UV-Speed in 0:54

MAP07 UV-Speed in 1:43 (almost 40 sec slower than my nightmare time)
MAP31 UV-Speed in 1:52

MAP01 UV-Max in 1:41

MAP02 UV-Max in 1:54

MAP03 UV-Max in 2:14

MAP04 UV-Max in 3:42

MAP05 UV-Max in 1:58

MAP06 UV-Max in 5:32

MAP07 UV-Max in 3:54

MAP08 UV-Max in 3:35

MAP09 UV-Max in 3:25

MAP10 UV-Max in 9:51

MAP11 UV-Max in 5:54

MAP12 UV-Max in 4:13

MAP13 UV-Max in 11:53 (misses one unkillable archvile)

MAP31 UV-Max in 5:35

MAP06 NM-Speed in 0:54

MAP07 NM-Speed in 1:09

MAP01 Pacifist in 0:23

MAP02 Pacifist in 0:35

MAP05 Pacifist in 0:51

I think I got all of those right...

Pigeon Speedmapping Session 1 - Operation Health (-complevel 9)

Map01 UV Max: 1pg01-139.zip

Map02 UV Max: 1pg02-045.zip

Map03 UV Max: 1pg03-242.zip

Map04 UV Max: 1pg04-126.zip

Map05 UV Max: 1pg05-127.zip

Map06 UV Max: 1pg06-125.zip

Map07 UV Max: 1pg07-152.zip

Map08 UV Max: 1pg08-216.zip

Map09 UV Max: 1pg09-135.zip

Map10 UV Max: 1pg10-156.zip

Map12 UV Max: 1pg12-232.zip

Map13 UV Max: 1pg13-306.zip <- Can't even get a second pass.

Map14 UV Max: 1pg14-536.zip

Map15 UV Max: 1pg15-128.zip

Map16 UV Max: 1pg16-356.zip <- The starting area is "real nice"...

Map17 UV Max: 1pg17-239.zip

I can't get the idea of Map11, and it seems it's not possible to UV Max due to the time limit, so I consider this WAD is finished.

Edited by GarrettChan : A less wordy name

^Andy, sorry that I updated the previous post quite a lot, and I finished all the runs now, so please include those runs if you haven't grabbed them. Thanks a lot.

On 10/24/2017 at 1:56 AM, GarrettChan said:

I can't get the idea of Map11, and it seems it's not possible to UV Max due to the time limit, so I consider this WAD is finished.

UV Max seems possible with a good use of an invulnerability, at least with some luck. Best I could get from a few quick tries was 25 kills, I'm sure a better player could get all 30.

This is the tactic I use. I'm sure the positioning could be improved so you're both closer to the monsters to kill them faster and positioned in a way that they all come to you instead of you having to search for them.

EDIT:
Looked at my demo with IDDT (x2). 3 Monsters very close to me, one failed to teleport in. There always seem to be one monster not teleporting in but each time a different one which makes this map possible but even more annoying for UV Max.

pigeon11-26kills.zip

Edited by Keyboard_Doomer

6 hours ago, Keyboard_Doomer said:

This is the tactic I use. I'm sure the positioning could be improved so you're both closer to the monsters to kill them faster and positioned in a way that they all come to you instead of you having to search for them.

EDIT:
Looked at my demo with IDDT (x2). 3 Monsters very close to me, one failed to teleport in. There always seem to be one monster not teleporting in but each time a different one which makes this map possible but even more annoying for UV Max.

Yeah, I've considered this, and once again, I paid more attention to the design of the map... I still think the lowering wall costs too much time, and most of the time, at least one monster is stuck behind the teleporter... so I still think it only has a minimal chance to UV Max this map...

Knee Deep in ZDoom Z1M8 UV-Max in 14:49, done in ZDoom 2.7.1. Video

Is it legible for submission to DSDA with gameplay modifications I've used, including no autoaim, no weapon switch on pickup and vertical mouselook? If so, how can I submit it there? The UV-Max demo currently posted there is nearly twice as long as mine.

z1m8-1449.zip

By posting it here, you have submitted it, and yes, it is eligible - no reason why it shouldn't be. Checking the info on DSDA and the stickies in this forum should help claify this and other matters.

There is the question of whether the settings you have used make direct comparisons with other demos meaningless, but that's another matter entirely. By the sound of it, you haven't used anything that is too unusual for Zdoom - a genre in which a "level playing field" is a somewhat moot topic for the most part in any case.

Three randomly chosen WADs, three UV-Max demos.

Smoke the Beehive (beehive2.wad) by Rich Carlson UV-Max in 3:13

Hell's Abattoir (hellsaba.wad) by Sean McCarthy UV-Max in 4:28

TheCrypt (thecryp2.wad) by A. Gartland UV-Max in 2:48

beehive2.wad = PrBoom+ v2.5.1.4, -complevel 3, E1M2

hellsaba.wad  = GZDoom v2.4.0, MAP01

thecryp2.wad  = PrBoom+ v2.5.1.4, -complevel 2, MAP01

stb12-313.zip

hab01-428.zip

thcry2-248.zip

Five more random WADs.

Alternative Speed! (altspd.wad) by Przemek Zimny 'alterworldruler'. UV-Max in 2:06

Axe7 (axe7.wad) by Anthony Connor. UV-Max in 8:02

Flay the Obscene - Reversed (flay4rev.wad) by Chris Hansen. UV-Max in 6:23

The Wailing Horde (wailhord.wad) by Chris Hansen. UV-Max in 11:45

Wicked Barons & Spectres (wbns.wad) by Michael Lundy. UV-Max in 3:19

Individual demo info:

altspd.wad = PrBoom+ v2.5.1.4, -complevel 3, E1M1

axe7.wad  = PrBoom+ v2.5.1.4, -complevel 2, MAP01

flay4rev.wad = PrBoom+ v2.5.1.4, -complevel 2, MAP01

wailhord.wad = PrBoom+ v2.5.1.4, -complevel 3, E2M1

wbns.wad = PrBoom+ v2.5.1.4, -complevel 3, E4M1

Misc Demos.zip

Well now, I haven't done a maxdemo in forever.  However, Oscillation's map 7 having one of my favorite Megaman X fortress themes of all time got me in the mood to get a UV-Max done for the level.  Time for the demo comes out to 12:25.  Could be a good 30 seconds to a minute faster since I had a fall going for the first warp in the BK building (blaming nerves for that one though, considering the trap afterwards) while the final battle could have also been handled better.  Granted, I died twice at said final battle in previous attempts so I was a bit on edge here (and almost got sent over said edge hard at one point).

oscl07-1225.zip

And Oscillation map 7 UV-Max improved to a 12:06.  Still some hiccups in the BK building and final battle arena, but hey, still 19 seconds faster.  Nothing wrong with that.

Oh, and I had three moments where there was very nearly a case of being dealt the X Gonna Give it to Ya card.  Not surprisingly, said moments were triggered by viles.

Also, if anyone wants to tell me how close I was to one BK arena vile roasting my ass when either I reached safety in time or my rocket managing to interrupt it, feel free to tell me because I still can't believe I survived that one.

oscl07-1206.zip

Nice work Anima. These arch-viles on pillars are so scary... I would maybe go there first and save the easier parts for later, although I'm not sure how that would affect the ammo distribution.