Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dew

Miscellaneous demos (part 3) [please post in part 4 instead]

Wicked_1 UV Speed in :40.

Great non-linear layout, Rex Claussen's trademark. But when you know where the yellow key and the exit are, you can finish it quickly.
I don't think UV Max would be entertaining as the action is slow.

wic1-040.zip

1 hour ago, vdgg said:

[...] I don't know why tchkb pointed that very WAD. Is it because one of the authors is also responsible for MAP12 from BTSX (much, much later...) [...]

It's a nice piece of trivia, but that's not the reason. I saw this WAD mentioned in Not Jabba's "Roots: The evolution of Doom level design" article as one of the notable early Plutonia-influenced releases and had it on my list of stuff to max since it lacked a good max demo. Thought that since you already had experience with this map, you could produce something of decent quality yourself.

Your movement clearly suffers from being keyboard-only, especially in the more cramped sections, but you still managed to beat my makeshift demonstration with a much better route, so job well done. I could revisit it and beat your demo in the future, but I have more important runs to get (when I have time...)

If you want to tackle something similar, I'd suggest DemoniZed MAP01 (02 already has a decent demo by Veinen). I watched Yonatan Donner's UV-Max TAS (which misses one random Imp btw) and it seems to be a decent starting point, though with a few possible improvements such as more aggressive ending and maybe also running past some of the fatter stuff and backtracking from the ending with some rockets and/or BFG to clean them up faster (would need testing if it's worth it).

MAYhem 2020: Something Something Hindsight (mayhem20.wad)

UV-Max Demo Pack No. 1 - mayhem20_tvpk_uvmax_demopack1.zip

MAP01 in 2:01.29

MAP02 in 1:12.31

MAP03 in 1:22.83

MAP04 in 1:26.97

MAP05 in 3:12.86

MAP06 in 2:41.06

MAP07 in 2:12.69

MAP08 in 4:18.26

MAP09 in 6:13.06

MAP10 in 4:30.20

MAP11 in 3:38.46

MAP12 in 2:31.66

MAP13 in 1:57.51

MAP14 in 6:30.83

MAP15 in 4:10.37

MAP16 in 3:32.34

MAP17 in 3:33.89

MAP19 in 7:52.60

MAP23 in 3:19.86

MAP25 in 2:19.26

MAP27 in 1:40.23

MAP30 in 2:33.06

MAP31 in 5:34.06

MAP32 in 2:21.20

The remainder of the later maps will be done in the second demo pack, when I can get around to it.

Excellent work @TheV1perK1ller. I watched the map31 demo first. Amazing run. It took me several hours to achieve an extremely slow uvmax on this map and that involved exploiting the inner fight by exiting through hole in the fence and teleporting back to the outside. Well done on fighting it out the intended way (and quick, one way or another). I look forward to watching the others demos soon.

Edit:

I've watched all the demos now. Amazing stuff.

map25: I was not aware of the non official secret bfg via archvile jump onto the south side of the toxic waste. I'm having trouble with the lineskip at the start to avoid the lowering the catwalk, so you can make use of the invulnerability later. Any tips on its execution? I only know how to get the invulnerability right from the start by running straight at it and bumping it but it isn't all that useful on the initial wave of enemies.

Edited by tmorrow

@tmorrow I think there's no way to avoid making the catwalk lower at the beginning. You can make it rise again by crossing a specific linedef in the hallway opposite the soulsphere and insta-teleporter (in the building where the Imps are. It is a bit ambiguous as there's no indication on where said linedef is).

Ah, is that it! Since you turned as you fell off it at the beginning, I didn't see and it was magically up again when you went to collect it. Silly me! Thanks.