Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dew

Miscellaneous demos (part 3) [please post in part 4 instead]

Why, thank you! I was starting to forget that I ever made this, and now - a demo, cool.

rdwpa said:

idgames reviews are quite colorful as usual.

The most recent one gives me a good laugh every time I see it, that dude must've had an eye twitching and a mouse thrown out of the window.

Grazza said:

I noticed an oddity: on NM, live keens "respawn" every so often (see the txt for more on this). Has this ever been discussed or explained?

It turns out nightmare respawn has no explicit check for a dead monster (health <= 0, or the corpse flag). It looks for a steady state (mobj->tics == -1) and if the mobj counts as a kill. If both of these are true it implicitly assumes the thing must be dead.

This is actually valid for nearly all monsters. The only time they reach a steady state is if they're dead - otherwise they're going through some loop of states looking for new targets, chasing them, or such. But Keen doesn't do any of that, he just sits there waiting to be shot. Just an oversight, I suppose, plus Keen was added a long time after the nightmare respawn code was written.

License to Ilya Map 15 Pacifist in 0:27 (secret exit). The only map in this wad that I thought was really good. You can do the normal exit with a double or maybe triple AVJ that I'd love to see possibly TAS (I don't know if I could to it non-TAS). I'd also love to see a max of this map. :)

jt15p027s.zip

Skulldash Map 29 UV-Speed in 0:05.29. Saw this map played on stream nearly a year ago and realized that some cool jumps make this map a lot faster. Decided to return to it and get the time I wanted today. Video link for anyone who doesn't want to bother with Zandronum.

I used this download which also contains the version of Zandronum 3.0 Alpha that I used, the wad itself is here. Also available on /idgames, but the version on the website has an extra fix wad that does not exist on /idgames, not sure what is in it.

skld29-529.zip

Demonologist said:

Why, thank you! I was starting to forget that I ever made this, and now - a demo, cool.
The most recent one gives me a good laugh every time I see it, that dude must've had an eye twitching and a mouse thrown out of the window.

I'm surprised by the butthurt comments and low rating for it; it's a pretty straightforward and easy map, really.

Well, honestly it's never been surprising for me, not only because there are always folks who dislike the map in question for whatever reason, but also because the "niche" maps (slaughter/puzzle/gimmick/whathaveyou) are destined to be bashed and shunned in general. I'm cool with that, mind.

Come on, it's a megawad, and obviously a very demo-friendly one. You should feel free to create designated threads for stuff like this. :)

It's cool that many of these maps offer green spheres, these are nice to have in max runs.

Seed changing in Boom, MBF and probably PrBoom+ demo format can lead to desyncs or better PRNG. It can be useful in TAS, though you can still cheat with segmenting non-TAS. Plays back with doom2.

seed.zip

I improved my time in I am Evil 4 UV-Max. Ignore the 0:46 on DSDA, it was accidentally recorded with -skill 3.

Nice demo in Scary Mike. Yeah, that arch-vile can be a real problem, especially if you come with bad HP.

ime4-103.zip

Doomworld Roulette: Session 1 Map10 UV-Max in 5:48

This set is a really mixed bag. Surprised it is rated so highly. AD79's Sunlust homage (map09) comes off as a parody or joke with its "literally everything is a trap" mode of monster deployment, but it is still among the best in the set. Cannonball's BFG spam base (map12) is good too. Map10, by Rayzik, is quite strong and definitely the best in the set.

roultt10-548.zip

WEAGLE1.WAD Pacifist in 0:08. WAD I randomed to that I managed to void glide out of and exit on my FDA. Void glide and exit press are fairly standard, but I figured it was worth recording a demo of them anyway. Including the void glide FDA and intended route "FDA".

weagp843.zip

Your zip only includes the FDAs, and not the Pacifist in 0:08.

It's odd that in the FDA you try to get through some right-angle vertices that aren't east-facing. As far as I am aware, that is the only geometry of this type for which void glides have been demonstrated to work. Or has there been a new discovery that I missed?