Miscellaneous demos (part 3)

brilliant demo. so nice to see the rocket-heavy gameplay of Monti's maps in a demo as well!

2 people like this

Ever wondered if voodoo dolls would be any good at speedrunning? I just did and couldn't shake the idea so I had to find out! Here's (admittedly modified) Doom 2 MAP01 -nomo in 3.23, wad included!

Thank you and good night.

voodoo_d2m1.zip

3 people like this

Cygnus IV by John Bye

Port: Chocolate Doom 2.3.0

Map 01 UV-Max in 5:48

Planing to doing more UVmax demos on this wad later on when I have time ;)

cygiv-01-548.zip

2 people like this

Some more Cygnus IV UV-Max demos.

Port: Chocolate Doom 2.3.0

Map 06 UV-Max in 1:20

Map 07 UV-Max in 1:16

Map 08 UV-Max in 1:35

Map 09 UV-Max in 1:33

Map 11 UV-Max in 0:49

CYGUNIVUVMaxdemos.zip

2 people like this

Here's a (not very well planned) D2ALL max for End Point for good measure. I guess I'm done with this wad then.

D2ALL (maps 01-07) max in 37:18

enpo-3718.zip

3 people like this

Nice. I was about to ask you and TheViperKiller if you'd like to help do the rest of Counterattack. Were you planning on doing map03 as well?

Edited by rdwpa

21 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Nice. I was about to ask you and TheViperKiller if you'd like to help do the rest of Counterattack. Were you planning on doing map03 as well?

I'll likely skip map03 since you have it done already. 12:xx seems like a good time for a Mek map so I doubt there are any major route improvements to be found there, so another max would be kinda pointless at this point.

18 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Nice. I was about to ask you and TheViperKiller if you'd like to help do the rest of Counterattack.

Very fun WAD, for sure. Mechadon's maps are truly impressive, I have always enjoyed his works. Anyway, two demos for Counterattack (both done with PrBoom+ v2.5.1.4,-complevel 9):

Map 03 UV-Max in 11:05 (rdwpa already had a solid benchmark time here, well done!).

Map 04 UV-Max in 21:57 (I love this one, despite getting lost a few times. Can certainly be improved here and there. Good music choose too.).

ca03-1105.zip

ca04-2157.zip

Edited by TheV1perK1ller
Added information.
5 people like this

On 12/13/2014 at 2:28 PM, TimeOfDeath said:

Another map from 2002, The Flood Gates max in 12:48.

floodgat-1248-tod-pr2513.zip

Wow. When I released this map 15 years ago, I never imagined a speedrunner would make a demo for it 12 years later. It was such a shitty map, even by the standards of that time period. I knew almost nothing about making maps when I started creating it. I'm flattered that someone found a noob map like that worthy of a speedrun ;)

Had me scrambling to find a way to play it back after 11 years of absence from anything Doom related. Thankfully someone created a port called Chocolate Doom which could play Vanilla demos.

Edited by Niya
4 people like this

3 hours ago, Niya said:

It was such a shitty map, even by the standards of that time period.

No it wasn't. I suppose as the author you can see nothing but flaws in it, but no, I disagree. I played it a month or two after it came out. It stuck in the memory as being about the only case of a single-map wad in which I felt compelled to use several save slots in rotation. I don't think I ever went back and did it again saveless; I must rectify this at some point. Anyway, thanks for making it. Did you ever make anything else besides it and The Cross? I think there was a followup named Asylum but not sure if it was ever released.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, RjY said:

No it wasn't. I suppose as the author you can see nothing but flaws in it, but no, I disagree.

Well thanks for the endorsement. Glad you enjoyed it. But yea, as the author looking at it today with all the things I learned in the years following it's release, I can see a whole lot I did horribly wrong, the most glaring of which is the sheer amount of unaligned textures and incoherent themes. But I suppose in terms of noobie maps, it's quite good. I've seen some truly horrendous noob maps in my day. A noob map in the late 90s was like 3 or 4 rooms filled with Cybers and no exit lol.....

1 hour ago, RjY said:

Anyway, thanks for making it. Did you ever make anything else besides it and The Cross? I think there was a followup named Asylum but not sure if it was ever released.

Hmmm. I guess I should have used a less generic name than "John" lol.....I never made any map by the name of Cross or Asylum(I assume you searched by the name I gave in the text file). I only ever made 3 complete maps. My very first, was a small map that was lost in an HD crash and was never released. The Flood Gates was my first actual release. Deadly Alliance followed a few years later. It was a ZDoom slaughter map, an improvement from Flood Gates but still not all that good. I was working on Deadly Alliance 2 when I left. Only managed to complete about half a dozen rooms before I moved on from Doom. I actually found the incomplete DA2 today and I was surprised by how much I had improved. It would have been my first decent map if I had completed it.

Anyways, I'm currently working on another map. It's been 11 years and I'm a bit rusty. I was looking at my incomplete DA2 and couldn't believe I made that. I was just starting to get good. I certainly couldn't do now what I was doing in DA2. But I still have a good handle on all the technical stuff like texture alignment, ACS, DECORATE, engine quirks etc so I guess we'll see but I still gotta re-learn a lot of stuff, mostly related to aesthetics.

Edited by Niya
2 people like this

17 minutes ago, Niya said:

Hmmm. I guess I should have used a less generic name than "John" lol.....I never made any map by the name of Cross or Asylum(I assume you searched by the name I gave in the text file)

I assumed The Cross (idgames/levels/doom2/a-c/cross2) was by you, as the author name is also John, and the text file mentions "my earlier released but newer map THE FLOODGATES" (and "Look for my next release ASYLUM, coming soon"). Furthermore it was from the same time period (2002 again, May this time). If it's not yours, I do apologise -- but what a remarkable coincidence!

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, RjY said:

I assumed The Cross (idgames/levels/doom2/a-c/cross2) was by you, as the author name is also John, and the text file mentions "my earlier released but newer map THE FLOODGATES" (and "Look for my next release ASYLUM, coming soon"). Furthermore it was from the same time period (2002 again, May this time). If it's not yours, I do apologise -- but what a remarkable coincidence!

Wow. How in God's name did you even find this. One of the first things I did when I starting playing again was to look up old maps I remember, including the ones I made. I absolutely cannot remember making and releasing this. In fact I wouldn't have believed you if I didn't read the text file myself, it was definitely written by me. The tone of the description alone was enough to recognize it as my own.  The quip about unaligned textures being identical to the one in Flood Gates is a giveaway too. Finally, the combination of Zennode and DCK as editors used is a signature of sorts. In the early 2000s, DEU/WinDEU, WadAuthor and DeePsea were the more popular Map editors and BSP(I think ?) was the node builder of choice. Very very few people listed DCK and Zennode together as their editors. DCK was still a very new editor if I recalled, almost becoming the DoomBuilder of the day.

Even while I played it, it felt vaguely familiar. And while I can't recall it's creation, there were quite a few things that betrayed my touch. I had a huge hard on for fading sectors and trapezoid/rectangular shaped sector based lighting. Lighting textures on window edges is also very me. I used to put them on every window regardless of theme.

As for Asylum, well I don't think I ever released it or even made it, although given I couldn't even remember this map, I hesitate to claim that as fact lol. The only other map I could recall was the one I mentioned I lost in an HD crash, a map called the Catacombs that was built using WinDEU. That was the very first map I ever made.

Anyways, thanks for finding this. I would have never found this since I have no memory whatsoever of making it. And forgive me for doubting you. Amazing what one can forget in 15 years.

Edited by Niya
3 people like this