Miscellaneous demos (part 3)

didierbertrand said:

Oh no THIS WAD!?!

Edit: pls state next time you didn't use bridge.deh, it's super easy without it.

didierbertrand said:

zodiac map 01 uvspeed in 00:49

That's another interesting WAD you dug up, Didier. In Prboom+ you get a HOM at the intermission screen, did you notice? The directory has two consecutive INTERPIC entries. The first one is stolen from TNT.WAD, the second one is something obscure and apparently bad. The overall effect is kind of neat, though.

The WAD is in the levels/doom2/megawads dir but it's not vanilla-compatible. Even after fixing the flats directory, there are visplanes overflows in the first map. Not to mention Boom linedefs and a 3D camera thing. Finally I managed to run this demo to the end in Choco - in automap mode - and got a Bad V_DrawPatch at the intermission screen for my pains. What a clusterfuck. :P

BTW, vdgg is right about those bridge demos. Without the included DEH they are kind of pointless. You're supposed to go up against special boss monsters, not regular DOOM2 baddies; that's the whole idea of that WAD.

Never_Again said:The WAD is in the levels/doom2/megawads dir but it's not vanilla-compatible. Even after fixing the flats directory, there are visplanes overflows in the first map. Not to mention Boom linedefs and a 3D camera thing.

That probably explains why it refused to run at all in Fusion (MBF's most immediate descendant). Anyone got a fixed version?

Not sure about Fusion but I made this fix for the first half (map01-15 and 31) when we were running this in ZDaemon TNS. It mostly fixes multiplayer bugs (players getting stuck) but also removes the iwad contents, fixes titlepic and some other stuff. Zodiac Doom is actually a pretty cool wad, not exactly polished or well playtested but it has some epic ambitious maps with very impressive grand architecture and at times pretty fun slaughter-ish gameplay. I loved playing it online, wanted to fix all maps but never got around to it for some reason. Maybe one day. It would be nice to make it accessible for more players.

Thanks! Fetched and look forward to giving it a shot. It does sound like a fun WAD.

Generally speaking if it plays in MBF/BOOM it will play in Fusion. The one thing that gives it fits is some texture bug that's VERY common in Doombuilder maps -- such a map produces not-found errors and won't run. :(

• Doom Commando (COMMANDO.WAD) by icecreamsoldier
    A modern seven-level WAD with oldschool gameplay that might be a precursor to D2RELOAD - compare the design, the authors' names and the stories in the TXTs. Could this really be eschdoom's debut?

· MAP01 - UV Max in 8:11
    · MAP02 - UV Max in 3:22
    · MAP03 - UV Max in 4:09
    · MAP04 - UV Max in 4:53
    · MAP05 - UV Max in 3:06
    · MAP06 - UV Max in 4:31
    · MAP07 - UV Max in 3:27

▪ MAP01-MAP07 - UV Speed in 9:19

• Quest for the Red Key (QRK.WAD) by John Nelle
    A collection of four levels in "good old doom2 trash style", to quote Hitherto. If this description doesn't get you all hot and sweaty you can add "a newfag" to your resumé.

· MAP01 - UV Max in 5:30
    · MAP02 - UV Max in 5:52
    · MAP03 - UV Max in 4:16
    · MAP04 - UV Max in 6:43

▪ MAP01-MAP04 - UV Speed in 6:15

n_a-misc-feb27-2015.zip

Hah, of course you'd do something for this map. Good job Eris!

Never_Again said:

walter, demos on vanilla WADs should be recorded with vanilla complevels. You don't need to bother with command-line switches, either - just use a frontend.
Secondly, 0.44 is 44/100 of a second. Your run is a little slower than that. ;)

uhm, yeah, i forgot to do it with complevel, sorry about that...

Wicked Be The Ways of Men by ReX Claussen:
HNTR Max in 12:18
HMP Max in 12:37
UV Max in 13:39

(for those who don't know the map: it is a gorgeous-looking big base with the following twist: main skill levels (HNTR,HMP,UV) have different starting locations, key locations, weapon locations and also many monsters are different).

wic7lmp.zip

vdgg said:

Wicked Be The Ways of Men by ReX Claussen:

(for those who don't know the map: it is a gorgeous-looking big base with the following twist: main skill levels (HNTR,HMP,UV) have different starting locations, key locations, weapon locations and also many monsters are different).

Hadn't realised that! Thanks for the excuse to replay it!

Thanks for doing a John Landis map and the Heroes E1M8 demo plug, vdgg. BTW, I did the original standalone version of !POIS!.WAD in 2010.

If you liked those maps, check out the last two WADs by Zan-zan-zawa-veia. I did Hexasketch last December and wasn't of too high an opinion of it. His latest is simply insane, though, both in the puzzle and in the action departments.

Until today I didn't think a UV run of the kind he asked for was even possible, and then suddenly ... <drumroll> ... a major sequence breaker!

SMINKY2.WAD by Zan-zan-zawa-veia:
· HNTR Max in 19:40
· HNTR Speed + 100% Secrets in 4:35
· UV Pacifist (easy exit) in 0:18
· UV Pacifist (hard exit) in 0:55

This last one is it.

sminky2_na.zip

Never_Again said:

Thanks for doing a John Landis map and the Heroes E1M8 demo plug, vdgg. BTW, I did the original standalone version of !POIS!.WAD in 2010.

Obviously, I didn't know about pois.wad. My lame way of dealing with 4 switches room shows that clearly...

• Hellcore 2.0 (HC20.WAD) by Darkfyre & Fusion
    · MAP02 - UV Max in 9:58 (infighting extravaganza)
    · MAP03 - UV Max in 7:47 (requires map fix, link in TXT)

• Maybe a Techbase (TECHMAYB.WAD) by ElFuzzo
    A softcore slaughtermap from 2010
    · UV Max in 19:28

• The Lost WADz series (TLW_*.WAD) by Jeromy John Visser
    Seven small oldschool maps from late 1997 - early 1998. Extreme softcore.
    · TLW_1.WAD - UV Max in 2:10
    · TLW_2.WAD - UV Max in 2:01
    · TLW_3.WAD - UV Max in 3:10
    · TLW_4.WAD - UV Max in 4:37
    · TLW_5.WAD - UV Max in 3:57
    · TLW_6.WAD - UV Max in 6:23
    · TLW_7.WAD - UV Max in 5:04

• The Trial (TRIAL.WAD) by HyperSoft Inc. (1999)
    >From trial.txt:
    >Description : Try to play and complete this map.
    Done
    · a UV Max in 13:44

• A Truckers Nightmare! (UAC_CAVE.WAD) by Sam Dickie
    A 1996 tribute to Doomsday of UAC
    · a UV Max in 7:11

n_a-misc-mar22-2015.zip

Oh great, I got ZZZV away from mapping and composing into recording. If SMINKY3 comes out in 2016 you can blame me, heh.

re: HEROES: compilations are good, and I've done a fair number of them, but it is always nice (if not preferable) to see a demo on the original version. After 11 years I barely remember anything about this level, so it was practically a brand new experience for me. I don't care if anyone can shave off a minute or even two off your run, it does what it set out to do - showing the level from every angle - well, and for me that's the main thing.

However, I must take an exception to this

bcomplex-uvm-0516.txt sez:
(didn't use any complevel in particular)

If you don't use any complevel and haven't edited default_compatibility_level in your Prb+ config you get a -complevel 17 demo. Why is that a bad thing? If I had a dollar for every time I had to explain it ... I'd be broke, so here's a link.
To be fair, for a non-vanilla-compat demo yours has reasonable settings rather than blindly following defaults (which are all Boom-Boom-Boom-screw-vanilla-Boom-is-oh-so-much-better). You only missed two:

- Use exactly Doom's floor motion behavior
- Use exactly Doom's linedef trigger model

Well, these are just details. I'm sure that true D1 demo lovers around here will enjpy your run anyway, all three of them. :)

Never_Again said:

Oh great, I got ZZZV away from mapping and composing into recording. If SMINKY3 comes out in 2016 you can blame me, heh.

re: HEROES: compilations are good, and I've done a fair number of them, but it is always nice (if not preferable) to see a demo on the original version. After 11 years I barely remember anything about this level, so it was practically a brand new experience for me. I don't care if anyone can shave off a minute or even two off your run, it does what it set out to do - showing the level from every angle - well, and for me that's the main thing.

However, I must take an exception to this

If you don't use any complevel and haven't edited default_compatibility_level in your Prb+ config you get a -complevel 17 demo. Why is that a bad thing? If I had a dollar for every time I had to explain it ... I'd be broke, so here's a link.
To be fair, for a non-vanilla-compat demo yours has reasonable settings rather than blindly following defaults (which are all Boom-Boom-Boom-screw-vanilla-Boom-is-oh-so-much-better). You only missed two:

- Use exactly Doom's floor motion behavior
- Use exactly Doom's linedef trigger model

Well, these are just details. I'm sure that true D1 demo lovers around here will enjpy your run anyway, all three of them. :)

haha don't worry, there's no chance that I'll stop primarily being a musician. but if I do make more demos they'll specifically be on complevel 3, sorry for teh vagueness