Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Plut

Resurgence demos [-complevel 9]

TendaMonsta said:

Just tossing this out there Cyberdemon. You should probably use Prboom-plus for Demo recording instead of GZDoom.

Agreed. Not only is the comparability a bit sketchy, but it's also a pain in the groin to watch those demos. I tried watching Cyb531's scythe run and it bombed out because my gzdoom version was different. Gave up, stopped giving a damn. Use sane ports that don't break demos, make the world a better place. Too bad, because I do want to see those demos, but setting up gzdoom is just too painful.

well I mean dsda does have the version of the port on there for download that works out of the box.

I understand that it's probably slightly annoying, but I'm just really used to gzdoom. I've tried doing stuff on glboom/prboom and my quality is significantly worse. Plus, I do/plan to do lots of stuff for zdoom wads as well, and it's just overall easier for me to just stick to one port rather than hop all over the place.
That being said, I'll probably try to make an effort to switch some time. But, as lazy as you all are to get the version I use, I'm just as lazy to use the version you use :p Sorry for any inconvenience.

Yeah, you said yourself that you can't perform some tricks, because gz simply doesn't support them. That means you're at a slight disadvantage, but there could be other tiny differences that would work in your favour instead... and it's hard to keep track of them, so one keeps wondering how close the game you're playing is to the game we're playing. I know it sounds a bit scholastic and puritan and exclusive, but it's been discussed many times in the past and people usually end up not regretting switching over to something more standard.

Btw, just a small example I like using... go here and start watching the demos. See how far down the list you can get before you start pulling your hair out. :)

Fixed version for Map27's on the archive now.

Also, gave Map27 UV-speed a try. Sucky time, but at least for me it's an exit. :P

rs27-041.zip

Considering death exits and such, how would episodes be classified in Resurgence? 1-5, 6-11, 12-15, etc, or just standard episode format? I want to do some episode stuff, so I thought I'd ask to see what others think.

Fair question. Personally, I'd go with clusters... so yeah, episode ends on a death exit. Classic rigid setup is like doing SoD e2 and dying after the first map?! That'd just look weird. This is unconventional though, so perhaps someone else should also chime in.

I wouldn't bother with special episodic mess for wads that contain death exits. Just stick to 10 (+ 2) maps per episode and no confusion happens.

I see dew's point as a logical one, and I agree.

dew said:

Personally, I'd go with clusters... so yeah, episode ends on a death exit. Classic rigid setup is like doing SoD e2 and dying after the first map?! That'd just look weird.

j4rio said:

I wouldn't bother with special episodic mess for wads that contain death exits. Just stick to 10 (+ 2) maps per episode and no confusion happens.

But we don't even do that anymore. Scythe 2 and Scythe X already broke the mold and if BtSX ever comes out, it won't support that format at all.