Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

Record mic + system audio that stay is sync?

Hi, today I tried making vids of me playing and talking using webcam as a microphone. I couldn't make Camtasia record both system audio and microphone (I can make it record only system audio or only microphone but not at the same time for some reason), so I made it record system audio and used Audacity to record microphone, then at the end I put two audio tracks together. However, it seems that the sound card and the webcam have different "internal clocks" or something, so two sound tracks slowly keep getting more and more out of sync. Is it possible to solve this problem somehow? Will both tracks stay in sync if I maybe find a real mic and plug it into the sound card (instead of the webcam which is USB), or will they still have different "internal clocks" or whatever that is?

Or maybe I could somehow find the difference between the two "internal clocks" and then slow down the Audacity track a bit so that they would match... o,o

It'd be better just to put in little things to allow for easier syncing (Say something at the exact moment something happens).

Or when it desyncs, in whatever movie editing software you are using split the audio track up at points where you are not talking as needed, and then shift them a bit until they become in sync.

It's also always best to record commentary and game audio separately so you can touch it up later if needed (compressing, noise removal, etc).

Man, I don't even want to think about doing all that editing. I'd rather just record a vid, process and upload it to YouTube, I definitely don't have the time and patience to touch it up. Do all people who make long gameplay vids do that? There must be an easier way...

The best thing to do would be to get Camtasia recording both audio tracks. Maybe that is not possible with your soundcard setup though. Does it work if you set the playback volume of the microphone up (so you hear yourself in your headphones) and then record the system audio?

Switching away from a USB microphone might help, but it's hard to say for sure. USB audio is definitely "laggy" but it should be a constant lag.

If the camtasia track and the audacity track were exactly the same length, or you could make them very close by recording a start and end event and then editing out everything before/after that, you should be able to figure out what speed to play back the track in audacity to get it to match. (Audio Track > Set Rate > Other.) As a complete guess, I'd try 45000 Hz if you recorded at 44100 and the audacity audio is the one that is too slow.

In Windows 7 you can set "Listen to this device" under your microphone device properties. In XP you can turn off muting of the microphone audio under Playback in the mixer. You will hear yourself in your speakers/headphones.

Memfis, you should've mentioned that you use WinXP and everything is not as simple as it sounds.
When I was playing on PC with WinXP, I just set the same record hotkey for multiple programs and they started recording simultaneously. I've never experienced the sound desync though, so I can only suggest you to look for some tutorials.

What if the microphone volume is inactive (grayed out) in the audio settings? The microphone works.

Huh, that's weird, I wonder if that's because of your USB mic.

BTW did you know you can use headphones or even speakers as a microphone? The sound quality will be terrible but it might let you test whether recording from a non-USB mic makes a difference.

Bloodshedder said:

In Windows 7 you can set "Listen to this device" under your microphone device properties. In XP you can turn off muting of the microphone audio under Playback in the mixer. You will hear yourself in your speakers/headphones.

Thanks, this method seems to work with no desyncs, though it's kinda hard to talk while hearing yourself in the headphones, feels weird lol.