Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Higher fps possible in this situation?

Recommended Posts

With Russian Overkill:



It's worse in gzdoom, hence my trying zdoom - and even at 320x200 I get roughly the same framerate. Is this a nuts.wad case of "would bring any modern system to a crawl"?

Share this post


Link to post

Most of that looks like transparency, which is one of the more expensive operations in the software renderer. The more transparent pixels, the slower things get as the pixels before it need to still be drawn and then mapped. What you have appears to be a bunch of transparent objects stacked ontop of eachother and then saturating the entire screen, which makes things much worse.

In GZDoom, the situation is different. Transparency is almost a free operation, but getting all the sprites onscreen is not, as it is a very CPU bound restriction. Your best bet it to make sure you are using the upmost latest build of GZDoom, which has some optimized OpenGL4 features. Granted, that was mostly vertex buffers for map geometry(?), which you won't be getting much out of on sprites.

invictius said:

geforce 560.

Your GPU is doing next to nothing in a software renderer, FYI.

Share this post


Link to post
Edward850 said:

Most of that looks like transparency, which is one of the more expensive operations in the software renderer. The more transparent pixels, the slower things get as the pixels before it need to still be drawn and then mapped. What you have appears to be a bunch of transparent objects stacked ontop of eachother and then saturating the entire screen, which makes things much worse.

In GZDoom, the situation is different. Transparency is almost a free operation, but getting all the sprites onscreen is not, as it is a very CPU bound restriction. Your best bet it to make sure you are using the upmost latest build of GZDoom, which has some optimized OpenGL4 features. Granted, that was mostly vertex buffers for map geometry(?), which you won't be getting much out of on sprites.


Your GPU is doing next to nothing in a software renderer, FYI.


I thought my texture etc settings in gzdoom were a bit excessive, and 3d models were disabled anyway, hence trying it with zdoom, thought it would keep my video card from going beserk.

Gzdoom has higher frame rates than zdoom (constant 60fps+) now that I've turned translucency off, but turning on models dips it down to 15 at its worst - not that I'm surprised by that. Will there ever come a time when we're able to run nuts with 3d models, or is this something which will just not ever be optimized?

Share this post


Link to post
invictius said:

Will there ever come a time when we're able to run nuts with 3d models, or is this something which will just not ever be optimized?



The sheer amount of data that needs to be processed by the graphics card is the limiting factor here.

What GZDoom version did you test this with? I think this particular case is handled much more efficiently by GZDoom 2.x than 1.x, but ultimately it'll most likely hit the bottleneck in the vertex processor which is outside the application's control.

Share this post


Link to post
Graf Zahl said:

The sheer amount of data that needs to be processed by the graphics card is the limiting factor here.

What GZDoom version did you test this with? I think this particular case is handled much more efficiently by GZDoom 2.x than 1.x, but ultimately it'll most likely hit the bottleneck in the vertex processor which is outside the application's control.


Just tried updating to 2.x and running models with it is completely out of the question, many, many unrecognized string errors for both gz=models and ds-models.

Share this post


Link to post

What errors? There was a change due to a case sensitive string check which should have been case insensitive.

I need to see the errors to decide what's wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Graf Zahl said:

What errors? There was a change due to a case sensitive string check which should have been case insensitive.

I need to see the errors to decide what's wrong.


Share this post


Link to post
Graf Zahl said:

Ok, I'll have a look what's up there. Wow, that was an old version you were using... ;)


But 1.8 is the latest "safe"/non-svn version, right? Is 2.x more or less functional with minimum bugs? If you know of a complete replacement model pack that works, I'm happy to use it.

Share this post


Link to post

No idea who wrote those definition files but they were partly broken because they contained 'fixed spaces' (Character code 160 instead of 32) which now (correctly) produce error messages where the old parser up to 1.8.2 or so still could read them.

There's other problems which make the engine crash, though. Something's a bit off with this model pack which I have to investigate.

Share this post


Link to post

@invictius

To get the latest versions go to the News section of the gzdoom forum. I think Graf Zahl has lost access to the front page and cannot update it.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×