Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
nxn

Wanted: Cheap Laptop

I just googled my ass off and spend a good 5 hours on ebay looking through laptops. I'm looking for something in the 50 buck area (doesn't matter if it's used or not as long as it works). I'd be happy with a P1 75mhz 16mb ram and 1gb hd or above that's capable of running win95. I found shit on ebay that's a p2 266mhz 2.1 gb hd 32ram and all that goodness, but the freaking asshole sellers keep pumping up the price from 20 bucks to 100 in one bid.

So if anyone knows of some good websites that sell them please gimme a link, oops, forgot to say I want the laptop to be in one piece, I don't feel like putting one together.

4,000 posts and still no overdose, I'm amazing aren't I?

Hmm. Used laptop usually go for much more money on ebay than non-mobile comps. I made the experience, that even very slow portable machines - lets say a 486 laptop (sorry all 486 lovers :) - result a price that would be totally unrealistic for the same machine in a desktop or tower housing. And you will certainly have to look for new batteries for that machine, because their lasting is limited, even under good care.

For example: I have seen a 446 DX4 100 laptop going on ebay for ridiculous 90$. (I myself still have an old Apple Powerbook 100 from 1992, with a 16MHz Motorola 68000 cpu and lead batteries, heh.)

As for the bid increasement: You have to look at the "reserve" the seller wants. That is the minimum price at which the seller is willing to sell the item to you in case that you win his auction. If this price is not matched after the end of the auction, the whole auction is void. The seller himself cannot pump up the bid, with bidding on his own auction he would violate ebay«s rules.

Peter Heinemann said:

Hmm. Used laptop usually go for much more money on ebay than non-mobile comps. I made the experience, that even very slow portable machines - lets say a 486 laptop (sorry all 486 lovers :) - result a price that would be totally unrealistic for the same machine in a desktop or tower housing. And you will certainly have to look for new batteries for that machine, because their lasting is limited, even under good care.

I found some on there that go for under 15 bucks with shipping being around 30. And I really don't want a tower, I have no room, plus having a portable pc would be very nice.

Peter Heinemann said:

For example: I have seen a 446 DX4 100 laptop going on ebay for ridiculous 90$. (I myself still have an old Apple Powerbook 100 from 1992, with a 16MHz Motorola 68000 cpu and lead batteries, heh.)

Well, I'm going to try and look around some factories, maybe they threw out some old crap cause I definatly won't spend more than $50 bucks and that's including shipping.

Peter Heinemann said:

As for the bid increasement: You have to look at the "reserve" the seller wants. That is the minimum price at which the seller is willing to sell the item to you in case that you win his auction. If this price is not matched after the end of the auction, the whole auction is void. The seller himself cannot pump up the bid, with bidding on his own auction he would violate ebay«s rules.

I know, the item has no reserve, yet I've seen it jump up from 20 bucks to 100 in one bid. Every auction this person makes is filled with people that never bought anything else on ebay and they usually make the ridiculously high bids. I know for a fact that this bum just keeps making new names and bumping up the price. Like someone else said in his comments, he needs a real job.

Weedster said:

/me sneaks his mom's MacOS 8.0 laptop to orion

Uhhhh, crunch away, I guess :/

allrighty, let's talk buisness... i'll give you two (2) bucks (USD) for it =]

orion said:

I know, the item has no reserve, yet I've seen it jump up from 20 bucks to 100 in one bid. Every auction this person makes is filled with people that never bought anything else on ebay and they usually make the ridiculously high bids. I know for a fact that this bum just keeps making new names and bumping up the price. Like someone else said in his comments, he needs a real job.

Yeah, you are right. I forgot it. It«s called the "Proxy bid", the maximum bid amount a buyer thinks an item is worth to pay for and he authorizes ebay to place for whilst he cannot bid because he either is

a. abroad
b. drunken
c. brain dead

or all at once. It can become very costly for the bidder :)

orion said:

allrighty, let's talk buisness... i'll give you two (2) bucks (USD) for it =]

Fuck that, I'll just plain give it to you ;)

orion said:

I'm looking for something in the 50 buck area (doesn't matter if it's used or not as long as it works).

I admire your optimism, trust me, for $50 it's gonna be used

i bougth a box of laptops for $25, they go from a 286 to a p2 233, many where destoyed but after mixing the parts i came out with at least 7 good laptops that work well. on of my favorites is a 486DX/100, with a black and white screen. i also love the older 286. I also have a old apple portable in my bedroom, damn that sucker has to be about 40 lbs. anyway i would personaly save up for a newer laptop. compaq has some good laptops, even if their desktops systems suck ass. the only bad luck i have had was with winXP

orion said:

4,000 posts and still no overdose, I'm amazing aren't I?

Considering you don't even play Doom... :P

I'm getting a reeeeeally nice laptop for my birthday/Christmas later this year, with like a 20 gig HD and a modem too...so I won't have to fight with people for computer time =)

Sephiroth said:

I also have a old apple portable in my bedroom, damn that sucker has to be about 40 lbs.

Yeah, that is the famous/infamous "Schlepptop", that«s how we called it in Germany. "Schlepp (en)" means something like "to carry heavy weights under pain". This piece cost 16.000 Deutschmark ($8.000) when new, but Apple lowered the price continuously to a fraction of it. It was Apple«s fist attempt to make a laptop and it certainly was the best machine in its class at this time (if weight does not count), but - like said before - far too heavy and far too expensive.

Introduced: September 1989
Discontinued: October 1991
Weight: 15,8 lbs
Dimensions: 4.05 H x 15.25 W x 14.83 D
CPU: Motorola 68000 at 16 Mhz

Sepiroth: Carry it under pain, but carry it with pride :)

Sephiroth said:

i bougth a box of laptops for $25, they go from a 286 to a p2 233, many where destoyed but after mixing the parts i came out with at least 7 good laptops that work well. on of my favorites is a 486DX/100, with a black and white screen. i also love the older 286. I also have a old apple portable in my bedroom, damn that sucker has to be about 40 lbs. anyway i would personaly save up for a newer laptop. compaq has some good laptops, even if their desktops systems suck ass. the only bad luck i have had was with winXP

Jesus Christ. Just how much gear do you have kicking around anyway? And can I come play over at your house? :)

Weedster said:

Fuck that, I'll just plain give it to you ;)

Wait, are you serious cause I'm getting my hopes up?

anyway i would personaly save up for a newer laptop. compaq has some good laptops, even if their desktops systems suck ass. the only bad luck i have had was with winXP

Well see, the reason why I need an old laptop is because right now I'm on winXP (which I love soo much) and I can't play any of my old games. I tried emulators of all kinds, and even though I can get them to work 95% good there's still some aspect of it that bugs the hell out of me. So I really need some old laptop to play these games like Jazz Jackrabbit, Raptor, Omf, and the list goes on.

And besides, I'm putting together a brand new pc a few days before doom3 will come out so I'll have something to run it on.

Anyway, I asked my friends around and I might be getting something that's about 100mhz, 32mb ram, 2x cd-rom for free. That is if I'm lucky, but my luck has alweys been shit. =\

orion said:

Wait, are you serious cause I'm getting my hopes up?

Sorry, smilies do mean something, I hope you know ;)

If my mom wasn't using it, then yeah, I'd find SOME way of getting it to you.

whats in my room: a box of laptops( at least 18), 4 complete and running systems, from a 486 to a AMD 1.2 ghz, at least 20 mainboards 486 and pentiums, box of RAM, severle harddrives and a box of odd parts

Sephiroth said:

whats in my room: a box of laptops( at least 18), 4 complete and running systems, from a 486 to a AMD 1.2 ghz, at least 20 mainboards 486 and pentiums, box of RAM, severle harddrives and a box of odd parts

now see that's just like telling me "please rob me" =]

orion said:

now see that's just like telling me "please rob me" =]

No, see in my mind

Sephiroth said:

says "Please excuse me, and donate something good you stole earlier with instruction manuals so I do not keep bugging the DW guys with daft questions" oh, and a spell checker :)

donate... I like that word, I need to start using it more:

Please donate a full laptop to the druggie/drug dealer in need fundation.