Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrol1985

"Wrack" officially released

I'm surprised Carnevil hasn't mentioned it here yet.

It appears "Wrack" is out of the "early access" stage and, as of today, is offered as a full-fledged product on Steam.

It's also offered with a -10% discount until October 7th.

So what can you say about the game? Has anyone bought it already? What are your opinions?

I saw a reviewer saying he was reviewing the full version. Thought it was a lie.

Regardless of the game's quality, I congratulate Carnevil and his team. Getting the game done and shipping it is a success in itself.

Patrol1985 said:

Regardless of the game's quality, I congratulate Carnevil and his team. Getting the game done and shipping it is a success in itself.

Agreed - I think carn has done an amazing job with this game, I hope it gets a strong following. I need to buy the full version.

Canofbacon flat-out bought me a copy at one point for all the times I've given him code pointers and whatnot. It's unfortunate that my computer kinda chokes on the parts with tons of blood flying around, but I do quite like it otherwise.

Oh, and Canofbacon, if you're reading this, thanks again!

Thanks a bunch guys! I'm very proud of the game and everyone who's worked on it. The feedback has been awesome and I'm loving watching people play and have a great time with the game. At the end of the day, that's what really matters.

i'm glad u finished now can u please create some new skulltag maps omg i miss that game mode ;_;;;;;

But seriously congrats Carnevil!

Wrack is terrible, I can't believe I wasted my money on this piece of crap, and you should be ashamed this garbage ever saw the light of day.

...just kidding, Wrack is friggin' fantastic, and serious props for seeing it get this far.

Carnevil said:

Thanks a bunch guys! I'm very proud of the game and everyone who's worked on it. The feedback has been awesome and I'm loving watching people play and have a great time with the game. At the end of the day, that's what really matters.

Now will you add multiplayer?

I think Carnevil should licence the engine to FPS indie devs, like Id did back in the day. That would not only bring his team money but also make his game and the old school FPS genre more popular.

What is different with the finished version? I looked on Steam and couldn't seem to find an update.

geekmarine said:

Wrack is terrible, I can't believe I wasted my money on this piece of crap, and you should be ashamed this garbage ever saw the light of day.

I walked into a new Chinese restaurant that I was forced to go into. I heard that line... this place is terrible and then he laughed and said no this is a great place. Made me think the first thing that comes to your mind isn't how great it is, but an insult. I walked out.

Congrats on finally finishing this! Would there ever be a chance of like a demo? Even just one map?

Thank you thank you! Again, very pleased with the response, and am pleased that it's doing well. It's selling even better today than it did yesterday, which is purely the result of positive reviews/word of mouth. I'm glad to see people warming up to a lot of these classic shooter mechanics. I always suspected it'd be something that's up their alley if they could just be exposed to it.

Between this and the new Doom supposedly being fairly old-school, I'd say this is all very encouraging. Even Kotaku seems to think it's a step in the right direction.

@Jaxxoon R: ha, I originally wanted you to be able to play as the other characters. Had to cut it because of, well, being a tiny indie developer. Hope to one day be able to play as the others, though.

@zap: Not planning on doing that, unfortunately. It just doesn't make good business sense. Now that the game is fully released though, we ought to participate in sales to some degree.

All effects on minimum, screen resolution on minimum, Wrack lags on the first map and the lagging becomes really unbearable (sometimes <1 FPS) on the second one. :( Maybe completely disabling particles and the "point lights" could help, but it seems it cannot be done.

That, and the "Hardcore" difficulty is actually very easy if I'm not disturbed by lagging. As far as I remember from Beta, even the 5th difficulty isn't hard, and I'm not even that good player. I wish there were additional harder skills.

But apart from these (and other minor things I'd personally make different - robot's attack, killing floors, linearity...), I like Wrack a lot, I find it appealing for all what's in. Carnevil and the team made a great job on the game.

scifista42 said:

That, and the "Hardcore" difficulty is actually very easy if I'm not disturbed by lagging. As far as I remember from Beta, even the 5th difficulty isn't hard, and I'm not even that good player. I wish there were additional harder skills.

The difficulty of the "Bullshit!" difficulty level had been raised hugely since beta.

I agree, though, that "Hardcore" is a lot easier than it should be.

Anyways, Carn already knows that I absolutely love the game since I've been hanging out in his Steam chat, but for everyone else -- this game is freakin' awesome, and you *need* it. Now. Wrack is easily the best FPS of the last 15 years.

Yep this community's standards dropped so low, shareware length now constitutes a full game. Common guys, are you that desperate for new games that play like Doom/Quake? Workshop can only do so much, and if this game is riding it's success on content generation through workshop.. Man Wrack is pretty weak as full game. The fun is all done and over with in an hour at best with the base game according to some players. Also, wasn't the developer the same guy who screwed over the entire Skulltag Community?

Man that Doom game is bullshit. They lure you in with the awesome shareware levels and then the retail thing is just two new episodes of a bunch of ugly and boring clusterfucks, and the fourth episode does little to redeem it. And if this game's been riding it's success these 20 years on content generation through modders... man, Doom is pretty weak as full game.

Don't even get me started on the sequel.

Carniverous Goat said:

Yep this community's standards dropped so low, shareware length now constitutes a full game. Common guys, are you that desperate for new games that play like Doom/Quake? Workshop can only do so much, and if this game is riding it's success on content generation through workshop.. Man Wrack is pretty weak as full game. The fun is all done and over with in an hour at best with the base game according to some players. Also, wasn't the developer the same guy who screwed over the entire Skulltag Community?

You've come to the wrong neighborhood, motherfucker! This here be a circle-jerk.

Technician said:

You've come to the wrong neighborhood, motherfucker! This here be a circle-jerk.

Preeeeetty sure you just took trollbait at face value.

Anyway, $15 is a damn reasonable price for this game. Probably will pick it up when uni slows down a bit.

Technician said:

HAHAHAHA LOOK AT THOSES DUMB ASSHOLES CONGRATULATING A LONG TERM COMMUNITY MEMBER ON FINISHING HIS PROJECT

I thought it came out in 2012 :-)

Anyway, no atmosphere, checkpoint and lives system, no multi, not much content, planned DLC. It's a hard sell for the doom community, because we have our perfect game already.

But I hope it does well, it's a sincere no-nonsense effort.

VGA said:

Anyway, no atmosphere[...]

Naw man, I thought it had this awesome sorta Arcadey vibe, but I wouldn't call it no atmosphere - Just a unique oldschool one!

Carniverous Goat said:

Also, wasn't the developer the same guy who screwed over the entire Skulltag Community?

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but there's two sides to every story.

Congrats again on the release Carn - To get something like this out the door is hard as hell and you pulled it off.

Yeah, I don't know what I'm doing. Everybody knows that once a genre is created, no other games should be made for it ever! I mean, what's the point of there being more than 4 games, anyway?

All kidding aside, Wrack and Doom are pretty different. Wrack is more arcade-y with an emphasis on chains and momentum, whereas Doom is more about exploration and atmosphere. I love both to death, but they're certainly not the same. Wrack isn't trying to outdo Doom. It's its own thing.

Also, there is no planned DLC. I don't know why people think otherwise.