Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

super-linear wad for someone who gets lost easily?

wondering if someone could recommend something specific for me. I've been getting my girlfriend into FPS games, and while she loves UT, she finds that Doom's levels are too winding and too easy to get lost - key hunting frustrates her. Being new to FPS games and too impatient to really learn to navigate Doom's complex maps, she just wants carnage. UT is good because many of the maps are basically one big room that you can't get lost in.

So, I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good Doom wads with (a) large magnitude between the difficulty levels (so that she can learn on them), (b) co-op support (so we can enjoy them together), and (c) really linear design (so she can focus on combat instead of navigation), without getting lost or key hunting or things like that - just "fight through this room, open door to next room" action.

And anyone who suggests that old "OhNo.wad" - no, that's not what I'm looking for.

Its getting to the point I'm considering hunting down a copy of Serious Sam to get the gameplay she really wants.

Sounds like a project idea that a certain scifista42 had woulda been prefect for your GF :)

If I find any particularly linear maps I'll post them here. (Can't think of any off the top of my head, Mazey shit is just such a common thing in Doom maps)

Doomkid said:

Sounds like a project idea that a certain scifista42 had woulda been prefect for your GF :)

If I find any particularly linear maps I'll post them here. (Can't think of any off the top of my head, Mazey shit is just such a common thing in Doom maps)

In my bucket list/"you have one chance to get someone into doom, which wad do you pick" hellbound was reccommended, she gave up after spending 15 minutes trying to get out of the first map. I think it's safe to say that any map01 that needs two keys is out :P

Its getting to the point I'm considering hunting down a copy of Serious Sam to get the gameplay she really wants.

This seems like your best bet. Co-op carnage in one straight path - pretty much the definition of Serious Sam.

Twilight Zone 2 MAP31 = a really huge maze I made back in 1998 where you must search for keys.

invictius said:

You can get copies of Serious Sam pretty cheap on Steam or gog.com.

Try evilhomerdoomer's "Total Darkness" series. These are linear to a fault. If your girlfriend get's lost in these... then damn... just damn.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?search=1&field=title&word=Total+Darkness&sort=time&order=asc&page=1

edit: Scratch that, didn't see your co-op requirement before. Even though they require Skulltag, I don't think his maps were co-op compatible.