Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
scifista42

Ideal corridor width = 160 (opinion). Any similar tips?

Seriously, I've came to a conclusion it is. It's neither too spacious, nor too cramped for a comfortable movement (player's and monster's), overview and navigation. It provides enough space for every monster except the Mastermind. All in all, an ideal default to build upon. I don't say maps should consist solely (or mainly) of 160 units wide areas, I just say they're a good design element. If the "Minimalist" project changed its rules from obligatory 96-wide corridors to 160-wide, in practice it would keep my interest for much longer, because it's more fun to work with these. Now I'm incorporating 160-wide corridors into various places in my latest maps - of course not everywhere, I don't worship them fanatically, once again I say they're simply good.

Do you have your own design tips that you find good and would recommend them to others? No need to present them as "dogmas", just share them for inspiration. :)

160 is a good one, although I like 192 better, because it's more comfortable to work with. Teleporter-type flats are easier to align, and textures tend to tile every 64 or 128 units.

192 feels oddly "unprofessional" / generic to me (just slightly). Can't really explain it, it's probably a common dimension to be found in maps, so that I'm more impressed by seeing a slightly different one. I agree that it goes with grid and tiles better and those are definite advantages.

Almost every time I make a map in doombuilder with grid at 32/64 I draw boxes etc at that scale then find it plays better when resized either 150% or sometimes 125ish%. The real problem is doomguy is too fat probably. If his size was 24x24, he could navigate easier, and the default intended size where flats are 64x64 so teleport flats line up etc would work better.