Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacowad

Unreasonable behaviour - a boom map

Hey Doomworld.
Tested with prboom 2.5.0 and zdoom 2.6.1, let me know if there are any bugs or major anomalies, like too much/little ammo or whatever.

Warning: RL and revenants heavy, maybe you don't want to start with UV right off the bat.
Music from tnt: map02

https://www.mediafire.com/?55o5dwaauo6po78

screenies:

http://postimg.org/image/7zn2h81g7/

edit: fixed a couple of issues, link updated.

The bane of my existance, pacifist runners. Eheh, thank you for the fda, now i have to figure out how to force an initial gunshot from the player. also noticed a couple of lift not working properly, gonna fix that asap.

It was fun going through the empty level. Once monsters started pouring in... Hmm.

They teleport everywhere, and there's so many funneling spots. So you open a door, and you see a bunch of monsters pressed against it. Then you kill them and run in empty corridors for a while. Then there's another corner, and a small horde gathered there. Rinse and repeat.

A bit boring, to be honest. I don't want to be too harsh on the map, because it feels like a puzzle I'm not getting. Perhaps it would be more interesting given a specific playstyle, trying to speed through it while knowing where the triggers are. But that's another thing, the switches aren't too obvious (gave up after getting all three keys, couldn't find how to open those numerous metal bars) and while the layout isn't too confusing, it's still complex enough to warrant the occasional pause.

Another pet peeve, damaging water. Especially as sometimes it's damaging, sometimes it isn't. So the difference is obvious, that damaging water is around the map and acts as an inescapable pit, and you can kind of guess you're not supposed to get there, but still...

Less whining, more solutions (assuming there is a problem)? If it isn't absolutely critical to the map, it might help to reveal monsters gradually rather than in one go. Regardless, less doors and possibly monster blocking lines to smooth out corners might help their pathfinding. As for switches having some kind of visual connection between the object and the effect could be nice, or even better, direct feedback with line of sight (but that could be me failing to pick up on certain cues).

Didn't have any ammo/health issues.

Thank you for the feedback, the metal bars are part of a secret area, so you can consider them purely cosmetic for a no-secret run and so also are the switches, the only one really needed is the one adiacent the exits signs in the building closed by the red keycard.

Regarding the gameplay, i agree, some places get really cramped while others are pretty much empty due the (badly) roaming monsters.

I am a bit reluctant about monster bloking lines due some weird side effects (specifically pinkys, a bad placed MB line can make them real silly), but i have to do something about it.

Thats why i posted it here on the first place, i am pretty bad when it comes to gameplay... i'll try to smooth it out, thank you again.

Cacowad said:

Now i have to figure out how to force an initial gunshot from the player.

What, as in to wake the monsters up? Just pull a Courtyard starting room and link it for sound.

@ad_79 I think we have a misunderstanding, as joe pointed out in his fda, the player can cheese the entire level by just not making any sound, since most of the monsters have to be waken up to teleport in.

AD_79 means you can put the doomguy in a box at the start location, linked to your teleport sectors, and have the only exit be a shootable switch so the player is forced to fire and wake up everything.

In Zdoom 2.8pre-635, 4 hell knights (things 848 to 851) and 3 cacos (things 717, 1001 and 1002) didn't teleport into playable areas (UV difficulty).