Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lazer

Colormap/Playpal stuff...

I'm trying to add some nice blue colors into the pallete. I know I can replace some of the old ones (since there are extras). The prblem is, I can't only replace a few of the colors, so in doom, I need to stick them in rooms with like maxed out lighting. Are the pinks used in doom? I would be glad to get rid of those since I find no use for them.

I dunno, I never heard of anyone modifying the pallette without funky effects on everything else...

Lazer said:

Are the pinks used in doom? I would be glad to get rid of those since I find no use for them.

Index 251 and index 247 are not used in any stock DOOM texture - that's why theses are used for the "transparent" index value in Wintex and DeePsea and XWE.

Here are duplicate colors that you can replace:

== List of Duplicate Colors == (from DeePsea's palette tool)
1. Duplicate Color index= 0 =247 RGB= 0, 0, 0
2. Duplicate Color index= 4 =168 RGB=255,255,255
3. Duplicate Color index= 4 =208 RGB=255,255,255
4. Duplicate Color index= 4 =224 RGB=255,255,255
5. Duplicate Color index= 45 =190 RGB= 79, 0, 0
6. Duplicate Color index= 47 =191 RGB= 67, 0, 0
7. Duplicate Color index=207 =240 RGB= 0, 0, 83

You can also change the stock blue range - still keeping it blue (or any other stock range) and achieve nice results. Rex did this (IIRC) in one of his levels. You can use DeePsea's palette editor or Inkworks or XWE to mess with the palette.

Funny you mentioned it, I was just looking at the pallete in Darkest Hour to see how he did those new blues. Also, from what I've seen, the pinks are only used on Commander Keen, and the project I'm working on (Underworld) won't even have Command Keen in it. So I think I'm all set now.
Thanks