Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voltcom9

Custom Sky Textures (or skyboxes)

Just out of interest, What is your favourite sky texture or skybox which is used in a Doom related game?

I like the Dome of D'Sparil sky in Heretic; I wish there were a skybox version of it.

I think the SpaceDM series' skyboxes are pretty cool. They actually make space look pretty rather than just an empty blackness covered in white dots. I also think Evilution's would be better if it didn't tile vertically.

I prefer Freedom's cityscape sky over the original Doom II one. Also I prefer Doom's Hell sky over Doom II's. I'd add that I like practically all the skies better than Doom II's muddy brown one which depletes the sense of depth from all maps using it, but feel that it gets enough hate as it is.

Joe667 said:

I think the SpaceDM series' skyboxes are pretty cool. They actually make space look pretty rather than just an empty blackness covered in white dots. I also think Evilution's would be better if it didn't tile vertically.

Doom's skies being lit independently of a sectors light level limit's the options available to one trying to create a night sky.

I like the sky with the grey clouds and red moon used in Lainos's Deoxylamine Moon: Overdose map.

I honestly think that ID's sky for E1 was the best sky in any game. Although the Heretic Orb skybox was pretty damn cool too...

DOOMCITY does have a very good sky.. The E1 sky is great too.

Mountain ranges are really great overall. E2 always make for a perfect hellish sky!

The Winnowing Halls of Hexen, bitches! Literally the best map in the entire game and it rocks with the sky.

TNT e2 sky is simply beautiful. But the best one outside commercial stuff i have to say is the sky that the later levels of BTSX E2 has, that is shockingly beautiful too.

Risen 3d has posted some awesome skies too. Sitters and Abbs released a couple skyboxes that are amazing. The best one that comes to mind is the space one IMO.

I think my all-time favorite is the E3 sky in Doom. It's the only one I've used as a desktop background on multiple occasions.

E3 in Heretic is awesome too. I also love the MAP11-20 sky in TNT, but then I'm always a sucker for space skies.

I also have a soft spot for the MAP21-30 hell sky in Doom II, which freaked me out when I first saw it (especially used as a floor!)

Xaser said:

burgerzone

I always thought the traditional food item in the sky was pie.