Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Coraline

Salvaging historic DOSDoom Versions

Hi everyone,

I'm compiling a list for the 3DGEWiki for DOSDoom version history, considering 3DGE traces directly back to it. My aim is to gather all released versions (even unreleased) with changelog history so I can catalogue and archive it on the version page, and provide a more complete learning resource for DOSDoom in general.

I know that 0.1 is available on idgames, and 0.61/0.653 are available on AtomicGamer - I have those already, but I'm also aware that several other versions were at one point available - 0.2, 0.62, 0.64, etc.

If they are not available on the internet, can someone (if anyone still has these) package them and upload them somewhere?

I am also in possession of EDGE 1.24 through 1.35 - but I too know that there were previous (and in-between) versions of these that aren't available, at least at the places I've looked. If anyone would be so very kind to upload or point me in the right direction I would be eternally grateful. Also, for completeness sake, I'm recording early Doom Legacy and BOOM version history since those were at one point very close together. BOOM moreso though because 3DGE still supports BOOM (though obviously not 100%).

EDIT2: So far the only version I have found that was provided was 0.47 (which is also available on AtomicGamer). There is an archived page via Wayback Machine that lists a ton more, so they were at one point available. I also know that at one point someone on the Doom Legacy team backed up their Frag.com FTP..so maybe there was a chance that the DosDoom site was backed up as well? There was also a lead on an FTP mirror but it appears that I'm too late on that as well.

DOSDOOM Versions Found:
DOSDoom 0.1
DOSDoom 0.47
DOSDoom 0.50
DOSDoom 0.61
DOSDoom 0.64
DOSDoom 0.65
DOSDoom 0.653

DOSDoom Versions Missing (ongoing):

Chu said:

EDIT: Anyone notice that you can't see nor edit anything on the ZDoom Wiki? View Source always results in a 502 Bad Gateway error. Not sure if that's intentional or not?

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:Zombieman

This page right here gives me "502 Bad Gateway" error, just because of a lower-case letter "m" in "Zombieman". With:

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:ZombieMan

it works correctly. I think I've seen other instances of "502 Bad Gateway" recently (with different causes), but can't remember what they were.

Da Werecat said:

Unfortunately, I don't remember where I got it, and I don't have the source.

Thank you so much! Now if we could get ahold of the other versions somehow...I've often thought about trying to contact some of the original team members and seeing if they have any sources or binaries left around at all.

I'm also in the process of archiving Captain Mellow's DosDoom site (been awhile...) so it can be of use to the 3DGEwiki. I'm really trying to go all out and collect as much information about both DosDOOM and EDGE (the latter being easier as andrewj logged everything he did) to compile it all together.

Gez said:

Do you go through http://zdoom.org/wiki/ or http://www.zdoom.org/wiki/ or even http://www.zdoom.org/w/index.php ? I have no problems with the former.

scifista42 said:

I think I've seen other instances of "502 Bad Gateway" recently (with different causes), but can't remember what they were.

Add &action=edit to any of those entries to see what I mean. I can't "View Source", or even Edit any articles without that Bad Gateway constantly popping up. As I am using DoomWiki's/Zdoom Wiki's templates as a base it's very hard to see what was done, and I often have to use raw HTML. I've never been good at template generation, though (if anyone is, please help me out with that).

Awesome, thanks Randy87!

The versions found are so far:

DOSDoom 0.1
DOSDoom 0.47
DOSDoom 0.61
DOSDoom 0.64
DOSDoom 0.653

There are still many versions to be found, but this is a great list so far. I need to ask around if anyone archived the DOSDoom website, or any binaries.

Trying to contact the other team members has been unsuccessful so far, lots of things change in 15 years.

While it was a long time ago, you could try asking Linguica what became of the contents of /zroot/source. If this log from 1998 is any guide, it contained at least eight DOSDoom releases.

I was going to mention that too but I had forgotten to bookmark the link. But if Ling has no idea then it's a Catch-22.

It does however look like they were a part of idgames at one point. Maybe they were lost when the move from Telefragged happened? Or maybe they were lost a long time ago when that zroot (?) move happened.

It would be a huge shame if these versions of DosDoom are lost forever, though. As trivial as they seem now it is a pretty important part of DOOM's history, because most of these versions happened well before Andy Baker started to collab with Chi (eventually taking over).

Maybe the other mods, perhaps Bloodshedder, Kristus, Quasar, Ty, or Lüt have these somewhere. Or someone else in the community who's been around for a long time.

I have spent 3 tireless days and nights searching for old versions, I have absolutely scoured the web looking for them, but have found nothing. So, in short, it's now up to the users and their archives to track them down. Hopefully this campaign doesn't end with these versions forever lost.

Edit: The 3DGEWiki is down at the moment because we are moving the entire server over, just a heads up[/b].

Linguica said:

I have literally no idea what that file is or that it existed. It looks like a log from /idgames?

I was half hoping /zroot was an offline mirror from the cdrom.com days. Walnut Creek did a few archive dumps to CD-Rom as their "Toolkit for Doom" series, but with the most recent being February 1996, they don't help.

This is one of those times I'd like to borrow Doctor Who's mobile phone and hook it up to my PC to browse a few defunct web/ftp sites.

No, thanks for those! Adding to the Wiki/Archive right now.

Bloodshedder said:

I'm not sure why you'd say that, considering Telefragged has never ran the /idgames archive.

Sorry, honest error, I don't know the history behind idgames hosting or anything, I should have fact checked.

We are down to the known versions of DOSDoom, propagated on the 3DGEwiki. We now have the following:

DOSDoom 0.1
DOSDoom 0.47
DOSDoom 0.61
DOSDoom 0.64
DOSDoom 0.65
DOSDoom 0.653

Let's keep 'em coming guys! =) Sincerely appreciate everyone's effort here!

I found binaries for 0.50 in a backup of the hard drive I was using in 1998: dosdoom050-bin.zip No source, though.

I also have a file called "dosdoom-linux.tar.bz2" that has the same date (Jan 9 1999) as ddsrc065.zip so it's probably the Linux binaries for that version; however, it's on a disc that's in storage right now (I hope)...

Unfortunately 0.1 and 0.64 were the only ones on cdrom.com when I started archiving it in 2001. I don't think there's anything else that I have that hasn't already been listed here.

Edit: tried the Internet Archive for frag.com/dosdoom. None of the downloads were archived :-P (Edited edit: nevermind, I see you already tried this in your first post)