Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

GRB&Sid Productions!

Download That Sinking Feeling(Plutonia.wad).

Pic.

A 90-minute map by me and General Rainbow Bacon(30 minutes for me to build the basis, 30 for GRB to flesh it out and 30 for me again to touch it up) for your dying pleasure: the IWAD's Plutonia, which should give you an idea on the difficulty. Dig in!

======================================================================

Download Space Station Archie(Doom2.wad).

Pic.

Another one! This one was made in the same time as the last one, with me starting and finishing the map. 3 guesses what monsters we used in this, and the first 2 don't count. :)

GRB picks the best music.

Download Shaman's Pocket Calculator(Plutonia.wad).

Pic.

Kind of influenced by it's namesake. But not much. It doesn't help that I haven't fully played it, I guess. Bah. :P

Download The Drowned Laboratory(Plutonia.wad).

Pic.

Mambo Number 4! Hopefully the trick with the Cyb works in all ports.

Download Ascending to Hell(Plutonia.wad).

No pic for this one: it's kind of dark and not picturesque. This was a fun one to make, although it got passed around a bit more than usual(still 90 minutes!). Also it requires an Arch-Vile jump near the start: apparently some people don't like those. Weird.

Download Devil's Plinth(Plutonia.wad).

Pic.

Most likely our hardest map yet, courtesy of GRB(he started off this time). Prepare to get your gluteus maximus served to you on a silver platter.

Download Mecharealm(Plutonia.wad).

Pic.

Think of this as the sequel to Shaman's Pocket Calculator. Or your imminent demise, whichever one is easier. :) The PE room was GRB's idea by the way.

Download Quadrant Gamma Alpha McSwizzleStick(Plutonia.wad).

Pic.

GRB suggested that we add a sprinkling of new textures to liven things up a little and I must say, I dig the result. Not all the detailing is mine this time by the way: I've got my hooks in you, GRB! *Cackles like a maniac*

Download Garrison(Doom2.wad).

[NO PICS FOR YOU!]

A little vicious jaunt GRB and I made in about 2 hours using the Erratic Texture Pack (textures are already in there). The layout and gameplay is mostly GRB, with detailing and key mechanics by yours truly. Boom compatible.

Download Heavy Duty Rust Removal(Doom2.wad).

Pic.

This one took roughly about 2 hours: we did our regular thing of passing it back and forth every 30 minutes and then I worked on it a little to fix up some of the bugs and neaten things up. The gameplay is kinda, uhh, Deus Vult II inspired. It's fer Boom, if only because I used like 1 fake floor.

A chipper little jaunt, this! I like how your maps require the player to slalom around monsters and use the tight geometry to shepherd them or get them to infight. I managed to die stupidly at the hands of the baron when I rode the lift up after dropping down to grab the berserk. Not a bad effort, that, considering all the work that went into killing those revvies.

Obsidian said:

A 90-minute map by me and General Rainbow Bacon(30 minutes for me to build the basis, 30 for GRB to flesh it out and 30 for me again to touch it up)

Obsidian, I'd like to make a collab with you like that, too. :)

The map is pretty punishing (certainly above my casual-first-time-playing skill). It's a well-made one, though. I like the way how it encourages running / strategical movement. I can see both your and GRB's style there.

Take it as if Joe was speaking for himself, just didn't add "for me" at the end of his expression. You can't blame Joe for expressing his honest opinion. You don't have to take his words as an absolute truth, either. I can very well understand how someone (who plays casually) may call the map "frustrating and unplayable", and conclude "boring-ness" from it. Nevertheless, I consider the map good for what I've found in it.

^He could have very well said "to me" in the comment, but didn't.

Well, if he knew what to expect, as it seems by his knowledge that all our other maps are like this, why did he play it? And then on top of realizing the obvious and stating it, he assumes everyone else shares the same opinion. Seems like rather childish behavior, he also has revealed he's not very good at the game since he finds this map too hard. Probably needs to play through Plutonia on UV a few more times, he'll get the hang of it.

After all those premises, i had to play it, fun little map, it is always a pleasure to fist barons and hk to death.
Died a total of 5 times spread across the map on uv, but i sincerily though it was harder from said premises.

p.s: You got me there, can't see sh*t captain.

@GRB: Joe-ilya is 15yo and English is not his native language. No wonder that he tends to skip compliments and unnecessary words, and gets straight to the point. None of us can always express ourselves perfectly, either. And maybe you give too much thought into the theory how should a person take the game he plays. It's just about playing a random wad, as simple as that, and providing immediate feedback thoughts as a bonus.

scifista42 said:

@GRB: Joe-ilya is 15yo and English is not his native language. No wonder that he tends to skip compliments and unnecessary words, and gets straight to the point. None of us can always express ourselves perfectly, either. And maybe you give too much thought into the theory how should a person take the game he plays. It's just about playing a random wad, as simple as that, and providing immediate feedback thoughts as a bonus.

Even when i was 15yo i wasn't this rude and it doesn't matter if english isn't his native language (mine is portuguese), respect and be respected. If he had delivered constructive criticism none of this would've happened, but no, he acted like a brat. When a author expects a review, he expects an in-depth look at what he did wrong and did right, how would one improve his skills at mapping if he doesn't know what he did wrong. That was pathetic of him, a low point for someone who can be a excellent mapper but does not give a shit about others work.

I like it. It took me 7:39 the first time I reached the exit (maybe the 5th or 6th try), 80% kills, no secret. On my third exit I had a hard time containing the remaining monsters while looking for the secret, which is quite clever by the way. Maybe my only suggestion is maybe add some clips here and there (I feel the ammo for the chaingun is way too scarce), I have the feeling that the secret is almost mandatory to get 100% kills, but maybe that's just because I suck at playing. Please, more maps like this.

Well, that second map is damn hard. It took me almost an hour to get past the arch-viles behind the yellow skull door, and as it's my wont, I couldn't get 100% kills (seems even harder in this one). By the way, the secret was too easy compared to the first map. Good job.

Obsidian said:

Map number 3 is up!

The teleporter, which (I believe) is supposed to bring me back to the start/exit area, doesn't work.

I've enjoyed the map, it was at least well playable for someone with low skill. Many possibilities to run, cause infighting etc. - but I thought it was overally well designed and nice looking. Due to slacking off, I got splattered by the cyberdemon twice, anyway. :)

scifista42 said:

The teleporter, which (I believe) is supposed to bring me back to the start/exit area, doesn't work.

Yikes, thanks for that. Updated. :)

Obsidian said:

A wild map appeared! It uses Plutonia.wad! A critical hit!

obsidian used mapping technique.
it was inaffective.

FireFish said:

obsidian used mapping technique.
it was inaffective.

...I'm not sure if that's a compliment or a critique. I suppose that's where emoticons come in handy. :)

Obsidian said:

Download The Drowned Laboratory(Plutonia.wad).

Pic.

Mambo Number 4! Hopefully the trick with the Cyb works in all ports.

I believe I was well able to distinguish between GRB's parts and Obsidian's parts in this one. Pretty cruel map, seemingly crudely shaped and unpolished (of course), but for that, not a bad one at all. I admit that I've been using mdk cheat since the multiple-revenant-and-AV room.

shaman poket calculation was a bit too infigth based for my tastes, but hey, i had only to use resurrect 6 times.

EDIT: i realized that you can completely skip the archviles encounter by just stepping into the mastermind platform (from the rift side) instead of using the teleporter.

the last jumscare archy really got me,but did no harm. Anyway where do the cyber went?

The last one is just too much for me, i just can't see me completing it without godmoding. MY SKILLS ARE NOT ENOUGH.

Obsidian said:

Download Space Station Archie(Doom2.wad).

Pic.

Simple concept and relatively simple execution, but efficient. I liked it. Guess what, the very first archvile killed me 3 times before I figured out a good strategy, then I couldn't handle the final horde(s) even having the secret BFG, so that I "resurrected" myself instead of playing properly. But it's a well done speedmap, like the others.