Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yuki Senmatsu

Blursphere better than InvisibilitySphere?

Hi.
idk if it's just me but, is the Blursphere works better than the InvisibilitySphere of Skulltag/Zandronum?

When I did pick it up on SinEnhan (one of my creations), monsters can still see me.
Maybe it's good only for Deathmatch?

Have you guys had the same thing happen?

InvisibilitySphere: (Skulltag/Zandronum specific)

Makes the player almost totally invisible to the other players.

-Player becomes 90% Transparent.
-Weapons on the player's HUD also become 90% Transparent.
-Effect lasts for 45 seconds.

BlurSphere: (all ZDoom-based ports)

This is the invisibility sphere powerup from Doom and Doom 2. When picked up, it causes the player to appear translucent (or fuzzy, depending on the user's settings) to other players, making him difficult to see. Enemies which have not yet woken may fail to see a player with this powerup active, and enemies that are firing on the player will miss by a random amount. While this powerup is in effect, the player's weapons will appear translucent/fuzzy on the HUD.

-Effect lasts for 60 seconds.

^The underlined part makes the main behavioral difference.

Also, in non-ZDoom ports, BlurSphere won't prevent idle monsters from waking up upon seeing the (silent) player.

scifista42 said:

InvisibilitySphere: (Skulltag/Zandronum specific)

Makes the player almost totally invisible to the other players.

-Player becomes 90% Transparent.
-Weapons on the player's HUD also become 90% Transparent.
-Effect lasts for 45 seconds.

This is the invisibility sphere powerup from Doom and Doom 2. When picked up, it causes the player to appear translucent (or fuzzy, depending on the user's settings) to other players, making him difficult to see. Enemies which have not yet woken may fail to see a player with this powerup active, and enemies that are firing on the player will miss by a random amount. While this powerup is in effect, the player's weapons will appear translucent/fuzzy on the HUD.

Ah OK. Thought as much. Thanks.

I know this isn't 100% on topic, but am I the only one who has always thought the Doomsphere looks like Hitler?

Doomkid said:

I know this isn't 100% on topic, but am I the only one who has always thought the Doomsphere looks like Hitler?

I think you're the only one.

scifista42 said:

-Effect lasts for 60 seconds.

Also, in non-ZDoom ports, BlurSphere won't prevent idle monsters from waking up upon seeing the (silent) player.

That's interesting, because I always thought the BlurSphere was completely useless. It seems to me to make no difference whatsoever. I use GZDoom.

I reckon it would be a much more useful powerup if while it was active the monsters could sense the player's presence but not actually see the player (can't monsters hear the player without seem them? Maybe that code could be used, I dunno), maybe have the monsters fire blindly in random directions as well.

Doomkid said:

You mean that the high-opened mouth looks like a moustache, growing out of his nose? It's a funny way how to see the sprite - but even then, I can't recognize Hitler in there.

NoXion said:

I reckon it would be a much more useful powerup if while it was active the monsters could sense the player's presence but not actually see the player (can't monsters hear the player without seem them? Maybe that code could be used, I dunno), maybe have the monsters fire blindly in random directions as well.

That's how it currently works, no? Unless you mean a completely random direction instead of a fixed randomized spread angle.

I believe the BlurSphere would be useful if it prevented monsters from firing missiles completely - unless they approach the player at melee range or get shot by him - and even then, they would fire blindly to a random direction, with a higher possible spread than there currently is.

scifista42 said:

That's how it currently works, no? Unless you mean a completely random direction instead of a fixed randomized spread angle.

I meant the latter, in an attempt to represent them going "I smell something, where is the fucker? Maybe he's over here!" *blam* "damn, nope".

Doomkid said:

I thought about Tetsuo in Akira: