Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

Popular video game from 1993 getting a TV series

At first I was like FUCCCCCC--But you know, I liked Myst online for the rich story but the puzzles were shit. I wouldn't mind having a show based in that universe; different adventures through mysterious locations through time and space.

Frankly, though, I almost feel like it would be more enjoyable as like a fake documentary series about all the different worlds and dimensions rather than what will probably be a boring drama.

It won't be like all those awful shows where it's some town full of bland and annoying people and some fantastical thing happens and instead of getting things done people just dick around and be stupid and the colors are all washed out and the whole thing is hideous to look at without blasting the color settings on your television, will it?

Because I remember at least five or six of those. I hated them all, and I wasn't even pay direct attention to them.

The series has six games and three (surprisingly well-made) books.

If a network can hire writers capable of weaving dense drama around shows with a throwaway/derivative premise (Revolution, Sleepy Hollow, Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, Mentalist, Elementary, Arrow, Switched at Birth, Fargo, Spartacus, Rome, etc. ad nauseum) then it should be a cinch for them to build amazing scripts using the world of Myst, which has interesting characters, imaginative settings, and a unique plot.

RUSH said:

AAARGH I was hoping you were going to say Doom!

What would a Doom TV show produced with a low budget in the 2010s be like? I guess each episode would be 60 minute flicks each written about individual instances of the UAC doing evil shit and triggering demons to invade. Different planets, bases, child companies and subdivisions. Or not, I dunno.

As long as they don't make it like a reality TV show with characters talking to the camera it could be resplendent.

As someone who read all the books and played all the games, I love the idea of a Myst TV series. There's so much excellent story to be pulled from the source material.

Sodaholic said:

What would a Doom TV show produced with a low budget in the 2010s be like?

Probably like a poor man's Stargate or Star Trek: TNG, with elements of CSI: Miami or CSI: NY.

Avoozl said:

Wasn't there info about a movie being made for Myst a while back?

Yeah, they were preproducing that for some years. I don't think it ever really went anywhere past concept.

kristus said:

Yeah, they were preproducing that for some years. I don't think it ever really went anywhere past concept.

I believe that's exactly what happened and wanted to mention it because I didn't know if it had any relevance to the show being made. I'm an avid Myst fan and remember some years ago when they excitedly announced that they had gotten a successful storyline idea submitted for a potential movie. Had not heard anything about it afterwards until this thread so color me interested.

As much of a fan of DOOM I am, I think I prefer DOOM to just be a video game. DOOM had a movie which stunk like total shit.

I played Riven which is the sequel. It's a good game; being in a lost and mysterious environment.

Pure Hellspawn said:

As much of a fan of DOOM I am, I think I prefer DOOM to just be a video game. DOOM had a movie which stunk like total shit.

I think it would have been better if the movie was more like the video game. Surprisingly, I thought the Rock's role was pretty good.

It should have been a little more of a comedy too. Sort of like Evil Dead, but on the moons of mars.