Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NBv4

The ultimate doom machine

I have an old pentium computer sitting up in my room. I want to turn it into a dedicated doom machine. I am going to uninstall windows to clear up hard drive space and eliminate overhead. All I need a way to have a good DOS compatible sourceport start when I boot up the computer to make it fully automatic. I'm guessing I would need to add a line or something to autoexec.bat but I don't really know much about that kind of stuff. Could someone help me get it all set up? Oh, and which sourceport would be best? All I really neeed is mouselook support.

I used to fuck around with that stuff when I was around 9 years old. I forgot it all now since it's not importand anymore, with XP and all.

Probably best to get the computer sorted out first. If you want only DOS, you probably have a bit of work ahead of you to get the hardware set up and working. You'll need the DOS sound card drivers and video card drivers. If you want CD ROM support, you'll need those real mode drivers too...there are plenty of generic CD ROM drivers available. Do a web search on "boot disk" and you'll find what you need.

After that, then you can choose your doom port. Putting the startup command in your autoexec.bat is the last thing you'd do (and it sounds like a silly idea to me). At very most, I'd use the config.sys menu structure to have a starup menu with game choices, or have a few batch files to start up games. A text "game menu" for DOS is easy to do, the game menu stating what to type (what batch file name) to start the various games.

Someone else will have to advise about what the best Doom port for DOS is.

just put doom in the autoexec.bat file, then it will start on boot. i did the same thing, however it will be a doom server when i get DSL. i am useing a 486DX/120Mhz, with a 2 gb HD so i can load many wads

Sephiroth said:

just put doom in the autoexec.bat file, then it will start on boot. i did the same thing, however it will be a doom server when i get DSL. i am useing a 486DX/120Mhz, with a 2 gb HD so i can load many wads

Rubbish

Sephiroth said:

doom server...DSL...i am useing a 486DX/120Mhz

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMH

If you want to buy my old computer, you are more than welcome to pay for it. It's a Cyrix MMX 200 mhz processor, 6 gig HD, Win 98, 62 mb ram. Gimme $250 and it's yours!

If I were you I'd stick win95 on. Don't just leave DOS, that means doom.exe.

Maybe you're a purist, I dunno. IMHO you should use ZDoom.

Don't listen to pritch, use Legacy

Shut your fucking face before typing it.

bigbadgangsta said:

If you want to buy my old computer, you are more than welcome to pay for it. It's a Cyrix MMX 200 mhz processor, 6 gig HD, Win 98, 62 mb ram. Gimme $250 and it's yours!

Hmm, take a 0 off and it's a deal.

You pay shipping.

And, hmmm, got a sister? :P

hm... i am selling my oce'd p2 233 @ 291mhz with 98 megs of sdram with a case for 200. bare bones. throw in $50 for a sound blaster 64 gold sound card and its yours.

pritch said:

Hmm, take a 0 off and it's a deal.

Ok, I'll take a 0 off the 200 mhz, the price of $250 stands

You pay shipping

Only if you move in next door

Weedster said:

Why does everyone like ripping everyone off?

Because it is sooooooo damn fun!

Weedster said:

I'm sure it is ;)

Anyway, I'll take the computer and your sister for about 300 ;)

Are feeling ok?

Weedster said:

Ok dude...you win.

Pfeh, you didn't even try.

Wow, you guys sure do like to digress...

Anyways, I am not a "purist" or anything. I have decided to keep windows 95 but only to be able to run MS Office for my school crap and because of windows' easy file keeping stsyem. The original doom.exe runs very smoothly under DOS, whereas it runs like total pigshit in Windows 95. I would just modify the bootgui line in msdos.cfg (or whatever its called) then just run doom.exe from there, but after my previous Unreal Tournament addiction, I can't live without my precious mouselook. I guess all I really need now is a newer port that works under DOS, or a newer port that DOESN'T RUN LIKE ASS under Windows.