Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clusterone666

Looking for some 90's themed megawads

as the title suggests looking for 90's themed ones.
Could be from the 90's or even now just has a 90's feel to it.
Megawads only as i'm going to be playing through them with DoomRPG and DoomRL.
To give you a idea what i'm looking for here are a couple wads that are my absolute favorite from that time.
H2H-Xmas.wad
and another (Short list I know) but in this wad you ended up in a "mall" And each map had you progressing through a city and a mall and such, and in the mall there was a slope that brought you to the second floor of the map.
Also, the third one was this map that started you off outside this big mansion, and playing through it it was a "horror themed wad" that had you going through the mansion blood style, and it was an amazing wad I played years ago, can't remember the name.
So I guess i'm looking for the names of those 2 as well.
Either way, I can't play extreme slaughter maps, as things that have thousands of monsters slows my laptop down with RPG/RL.
Thanks! :D

I am detecting a niche here, you just need to get playing some competent megawads like Requiem, Alien Vendetta & Memento Mori 2 which can all be accessed via the /idgames archive. Also possibly Duum 2 Super in the form of this might satisfy your requirements for corny nostalgia.

TVR!.wad feels very 90s, a bunch of small pseudo-realistic levels with low monster counts. it's on idgames and DSDA with a bunch of runs if you wanna check 'em out and I think you can get it to run in the original .exe with WNT or DeuSF or the like

Alien Vendetta on the other hand doesn't feel 90s at all, what a weird suggestion =P

I'll check if that is the mall one. :o
And I have Memento Mori 2, sadly it lags way to much with DoomRPG and DoomRL.
Although I am downloading the other ones to try out soon. I'll reply back with my thoughts. :)
And yes, it's a nostalgia type of week, been playing Sega Saturn, N64, and old school PC games, so next on my list is Old Doom wads, and since DoomRPG/RLA has been on my peak of interest for doom wads lately, those are added. :)

Doomed 2 Die is about as pure 90's as it gets, but not necessarily in a good way.. There are some really fun maps mixed with some total shit.

I couldn't possibly resist the urge to post a link to this. It's for ZDoom based ports, so I'm not sure if it will run properly. I called it Revenge of the 90's because many maps were inspired by older works, and there isn't any fancy detail or whatever, just that OS doom look. They're kind of like easy 90's slaughtermaps, simply due to the number of monsters.

TheDevilzWork is something I made much more recently though, and honestly it's better. It runs just fine under DOS for that authentic 90's feel, so it should work alongside just about everything.

Cupboard: Duum 2 super is definetly 90's, damn gillete weapon? haha
Yakfak: TVR! works it's actually pretty fun, going to play through the whole thing tonight. :)
Grazza: Sadly that's not the one. :/
Joe: That one seems interesting, haven;t tried it, but I will run though the full thing tonight as well.
Doomkid: Doomed 2 Die is wonderful, TheDevilzWork is awesome, has a very "Doom1 lost episode" Feel to it in my eyes, the ROT90's is fun as well.
Scifista42: Marswar is awesome, love that wad. :)
Thanks everyone this should keep me busy for a couple nights, if there are more feel free to throw them my way, also for some reason every one of them is giving me the init:nosound error in GZDOOM.
Anyone might have a idea why?

NaturalTvventy said:

Anything by valkiriforce.

Yep, I've been watching some UV-MAX demos of some community projects I haven't played yet, and to no surprise, the most gripping and interesting maps to me (maps that look they had to have come out of 1998) were made by valkiriforce. Check out Reverie, Doom core, and his maps in Pcorf's Community Project, and Interception.

40oz said:

Yep, I've been watching some UV-MAX demos of some community projects I haven't played yet, and to no surprise, the most gripping and interesting maps to me (maps that look they had to have come out of 1998) were made by valkiriforce. Check out Reverie, Doom core, and his maps in Pcorf's Community Project, and Interception.

valk has been quiet for a while, he had some cool levels in his PULSE compilation tho. too bad, i love his stuff

Seems like he burned out because he made too many maps, which he shouldn't have done imo. I think Doom Core and Reverie noticeably suffer from being megawads: in both wads the quality and creative stuff is diluted with quite obvious filler.