Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Walls becoming too bright when close-up? (Zandro/Zdaemon/Etc)

So there's this oddity wherein even a 0 lighting sector will display the texture bright if you get up close to it. This happens in Zandronum and Zdaemon, so it's probably from Zdoom.

I really dislike this effect and it totally kills the mood in many dark maps - How can I turn it off?

Are you talking about the diminished lighting that has been in Doom since always?

Edit: Actually, no you're not, as the effect certainly isn't fullbright, and certainly isn't fullbright in ZDoom.

Nope, I'm talking about walls that are meant to be dark appearing bright when you put your face up to them. Maybe it isn't quite fullbright but it looks pretty damn close. It's like the marine has a little flashlight on his helmet. Nothing like this happens in DOS, Doom95, Choco Doom, Odamex etc. It really puts a damper on ambient dark rooms for me personally.

How can I disable it?

Doomkid said:

Nope, I'm talking about walls that are meant to be dark appearing bright when you put your face up to them.

That is diminished lighting, and it's the same in vanilla as it is in ZDoom (ignoring what seems to be a slight gradient change due to resolution). So I'm a little surprised that Zandro and Zdaemon (apparently) have such an issue seeing as they are derived from ZDoom.

Edward850 said:

That is diminished lighting

I know what diminished lighting is.. :P That's not the question here. I just checked, confirmed it to be a gazillion times brighter in Zdaemon and in Zandro than in both ZDoom and Vanilla.

What the heck? I was expecting it to be from ZDoom, but sure enough, it's only in the online ports. Very confusing, I suppose I better ask on the Zandro or ZD forums. What an oddity..

You haven't by any chance turned the gamma up in them, have you? As it will make the effect more apparently brighter than usual.

I know what Doomkid is talking about (the annoying brightness of close walls has been in Skulltag/Zandronum since ever), but nothing more.

Doomkid said:

What the heck? I was expecting it to be from ZDoom, but sure enough, it's only in the online ports.

It's from ZDoom, but maybe it was fixed at some point.

Edward850 said:

You haven't by any chance turned the gamma up in them, have you? As it will make the effect more apparently brighter than usual.

I double checked, the gamma was set to 0 on all ports. Damn, I was hoping this would be it..

scifista42 said:

I know what Doomkid is talking about (the annoying brightness of close walls has been in Skulltag/Zandronum since ever), but nothing more.

Yeah, I remember noticing this years ago, but it doesn't usually bother me since I only really use Zandronum and Zdaemon for online DM, but I was just playing a single player Zandro map and it really ruined the ambience of the dark areas.

Da Werecat said:

It's from ZDoom, but maybe it was fixed at some point.

I wonder why it was ever implemeted in the first place? It can actually allow players to cheat when certain secrets are hidden by darkness.

Doomkid said:

I wonder why it was ever implemeted in the first place? It can actually allow players to cheat when certain secrets are hidden by darkness.

It wasn't 'implemented in the first place', it was a side effect of expanding the amount of light levels from 16 to 32, so any wall that was below 1 with 16 but above 0 with 32 light levels got affected.

Graf Zahl said:

It wasn't 'implemented in the first place', it was a side effect of expanding the amount of light levels from 16 to 32, so any wall that was below 1 with 16 but above 0 with 32 light levels got affected.

Okay, it's a side effect, not something 'implemented in the first place' - I'm not concerned about semantics here. It's an effect that doesn't look good for rooms that are meant to be dark/spooky. Aside from removing any trace ambience from dark rooms, I can't see a diference from the lighting in vanilla.

I'm just asking a basic question - Is it possible to disable this effect? If so I'd be happy. If not, that's fine, I just want to know.

EDIT: Also, has this been changed in modern ZDoom revisions? It doesn't seem nearly as bad in ZDoom as in Zandronum and Zdaemon.

Appearently yes. I remember encountering this bug in zdoom and then after some update it was gone.

Are you on software rendering or hardware rendering?

If on hardware rendering, go to OpenGL preferences in the display menus and set "dark" on sector light mode.

That's all I can help you with.

Doomkid said:

EDIT: Also, has this been changed in modern ZDoom revisions? It doesn't seem nearly as bad in ZDoom as in Zandronum and Zdaemon.

I tried a couple versions of zdoom and noticed the bug is still there in 250 but is fixed in 260 (haven't tried a newer version). Maybe zdaemon and zandronum are still using the older buggy code.

Also I tried prboom-plus 2485 and the bug is there too.

Hectic said:

Are you on software rendering or hardware rendering?

If on hardware rendering, go to OpenGL preferences in the display menus and set "dark" on sector light mode.

That's all I can help you with.

No, it happens in software renderer.