Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuicideBomber

A new DeathMatch Map. Just Screens

This is my first map for doomworld, I'll upload it to Idgames soon.

Outside Area:

Inside Capsule:

Sewer Section:

I really tried hard, but criticism is very welcome. Hope this hypes you guys up.

Relatively plain looking and beginner-alike, which is okay of course. I assume you're a beginner, and for that it's not bad. I can't judge playability of DM wads, though, without seeing it in action. Beware of texture misalignments (on bricks), overly extensive areas and monochromatic texturing.

Before uploading to /idgames, I recommend to post a "beta" here, so that people can playtest, report bugs and suggest improvements before final release. It's a common practice, which has proven to be very helpful to both authors (they can improve) and their projects themselves (they can be made as good as possible).

Well, what I said above still applies, in fact: The flaws I reported are even more serious than I thought. This actually feels like an usual mapper's first wad, only unplayable in singleplayer. The "caged" corridor has an entrance flagged impassable, I'm sure it's a bug. It doesn't play very well, honestly, the space is too large and open for SSGs, shotguns and BFG. Also, decorations to bump into weren't a good choice here - if they were at least pillars (I mean, out of walls) to block shots, it'd be slightly better. Mainly, the map simply looks rather ugly with those texture choices and wild shapes, sorry to say.

Don't let my words discourage you and continue trying! First-ever maps are rarely impressive.

the screenshots remind me a lot of my first maps. what scifista said is true, but imo as long as you're even half-trying, everyone can improve quite significantly rather quickly. I'm actually glad I wasn't exposed to or active on any boards like Doomworld back when I started, as I don't know that 12 year old me would have been able to handle the criticism. so if you can, props to you haha. I guess it is better to get feedback earlier on, as that ought to help you improve more quickly than if you were only using self-evaluation to improve. if you focus on just enjoying what you're doing (being able to make my very own doom maps is really an exciting thing especially when you're 12) and take note of anything you thing you might be able to do better next time, you'll be good to go.

in other words, so long as you're having fun doing what you're doing, then keep at it :D (and don't take criticism too personally)

Take a look at WADs like UDM3 to see a prime example of DM turf. You're starting out well though, keep on improving, and never be afraid of negative criticism!