Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
soner du

Monster taxonomy

Are there officiel names for the freedoom monsters ?

Personal Suggestions :

Trooper / POSS => Soldier
Shootgun Guy / SPOS => Shotgunner
Heavy Weapon Dude / CPOS => Chaingunner

Imp / TROO => Snake Trooper

Demon / SARG => Worm
Spectre => Spectral Worm

Lost Soul / SKUL / => Flaming Skull
Cacodemon / HEAD => Head Hunter
Pain Elemental / PAIN => Pain Bringer

Hell Knight / BOS2 => Undertyrant
Baron of Hell / BOSS => Tyrant Lizard
(Based on the new sprites)

Mancubus / FATT => Slugthrower
Revenant / SKEL => Slender Killer
Arch-Vile / VILE => Vile Eye

Arachnotron / BSPI => Spider Minion
Spiderdemon / SPID => Spider Lord

Cyberdemon / CYBR => Cyber Lord

Wolfenstein SS / SSWV => Super Soldier
Commander Keen / KEEN => Keener
Romero's Head / BBRN => Boss Brain

Cool, I'll have a look tonight.

I was not aware of all those names (Dark Soldier, Assault Tripod, etc.).

OK, here are those officiel names (and my comments)

Trooper / POSS => Zombie
Shootgun Guy / SPOS => Shotgun Zombie
Heavy Weapon Dude / CPOS => Minigun Zombie
Aren't invaders supposed to be aliens and not demons ?
Why not replace "zombie" with "servant" or something like that ?

Imp / TROO => Serpent
OK

Demon / SARG => Worm OK
Spectre => ? Spectral Worm

Lost Soul / SKUL / => Deadflare
Cacodemon / HEAD => Orb Monster
Pain Elemental / PAIN => Deadflare Ball
OK, why not (even if the Orb Monster is not exactly spheric)

Hell Knight / BOS2 => Pain Bringer
Baron of Hell / BOSS => Pain Lord
OK

Mancubus / FATT => Combat Slug
Revenant / SKEL => Dark Soldier
Arch-Vile / VILE => Flame Bringer
OK, though the revenant would deserve a more impressive name as an elite trooper, "Dark Avenger" or something like that

Arachnotron / BSPI => Small Technospider
Spiderdemon / SPID => Large Technospider
OK, but I'd rename "Small Technospider" just into "Technospider"

Cyberdemon / CYBR => Assault Tripod
OK

Wolfenstein SS / SSWV => ? Super Soldier ?
Commander Keen / KEEN => ? Keetoom ? Keener ?
Romero's Head / BBRN => ? Boss Brain ?

soner du said:

Wolfenstein SS / SSWV => ? Super Soldier ?
Commander Keen / KEEN => ? Keetoom ? Keener ?
Romero's Head / BBRN => ? Boss Brain ?

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what the idea was behind the new Wolf SS sprite. Are they supposed to be soldiers?

Alternatively, to make it so that people can play Freedoom in countries like Germany, maybe we should change the SS sprite to something less offensive, that we can shoot over and over, like an American soldier in a WW II uniform. Surely that would be less offensive than killing a nazi.

Couldn't we just call Romero's Head "Stallman's Head"? And call Commander Keen "Cat"?

Some of these names could be better. Orb Monster especially. They don't even look like orbs, so the name doesn't make much sense.

Based on their newer lizard look, Baron and Knight might be renamed, respectively, Tyrant (like I wrote earlier) and Monitor.

frithiof said:

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what the idea was behind the new Wolf SS sprite. Are they supposed to be soldiers?

Those sprites will be redone... There was a project here : http://www.doomworld.com/vb/freedoom/69129-wolf-ss/

I like Wolf Super-Soldier, maybe someone could make a wolf-headed guy ?

"Worm" strikes me as a rather unimaginative name. Then again, it's fitting because of how unimaginative a name "Demon" was :P

Just put some creepy word at the beginning - "Dreadworm", "Otherworm", "Fleshwurm" or something like that, and maybe spell "worm" as "wurm" for added Germanity.

JudgeDeadd said:

"Worm" strikes me as a rather unimaginative name. Then again, it's fitting because of how unimaginative a name "Demon" was :P

Just put some creepy word at the beginning - "Dreadworm", "Otherworm", "Fleshwurm" or something like that, and maybe spell "worm" as "wurm" for added Germanity.

Lindworm, perhaps?

so is it okay if the wolfss replacement fits in with the other monsters? it would make it so mappers that use the wolf ss dont look bad

I don't have any problem with changing the current names for the Freedoom monsters, but we should bear in mind that it's probably best to agree on a story first, as it will probably influence how they should be named.

in my opinion i'm thinking in transform the ss nazi into weak cyborg creating whit 2 auto pistols in both arms (not hands make the arm part of the gun) like of idea?

Make the SS troopers into "Clone soldiers". There are enough variations in the comic genre that the idea should be obvious with my having to mention particulars

the ss only drop ammo right? no gun, if so then i think protox idea works, explains why they dont drop the gun, but can still give ammo, plus it works well with wesleys idea of the clone soldier, as it reinforces the idea of being mass produced to be soldiers, gun already part of them

"Wolf Super Soldiers" might be uplifted wolves, semi-bipedal with one forepaw replaced with an autopistol.

it can help ever in history of AGM if they are genect clones maybe they can have the sign "AGM" on his armor, but for details of this monsters.

maybe a Orange armor, both autopistol cyan or black, they shot using shotgunshot sound and shot half than chaingunner in speed, but better acuracy.
and the sign can be blue.

errr maybe a bad idea :P`if raymohank want try maybe we can see what i have sayd turned.

other point having this monsters into a generic like the others we can include them in normal maps like freedoom has +1 monsters than doom2.

-edit: Font: doom wikia, his hps

Zombieman 20
Shotgun guy 30
Wolfenstein SS 50
Imp 60
Heavy weapon dude 70