Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WoofDg79

Who uses DeePsea as their primary editor?

Hi all!

As the title mentions, I'm wondering who uses DeePsea as their primary editor. I know Doom Builder is the one I see mentioned the most, but even after trying Doom Builder several times I always revert to DeePsea.

I don't want to talk up DeePsea and say it's better than Doom Builder or something like that. Personally it's just easier for myself to use. But I never hear anyone else mention it.

Any DeePsea users out there!??

I used to use DeepSea back in the late 90s/early 00s, but yeah, superseded by DB2. I don't miss the irritating sound effects! But there were a few nice features that I've not seen replicated in today's editors - pack sectors especially (although there's something very similar in SRB2 Doom Builder, which I have installed just for that feature). And the curve tool was nice.

I used to use Deepsea extensively. However, since the advent of GZDoom Builder I've been using it.
Especially for it's 3D Preview Mode, those nifty features and plugins.

That being said, while I no longer use Deepsea for creating maps (no UDMF support), I still use some
of Deepsea's included utilities.

I stopped using DeepSea's extensional utilities about 5 years ago. It really had some good ones to help you merge sprites, textures, convert graphics into different palettes. First and foremost it seems to be a nostalgic kind of editor whenever I open it. It's powerful and that, but I never used it seriously.

These utility functions can be handled nowadays by Slade3 or XWE. Doom Builder for everything else.. ;)

I could never get into deep sea personally. Primarily its doombuilder 2, but I've taken a liking to wadauthor because its small and portable (as in I can put it on a flash drive and carry it to different computer, no installation required) and also because it seems to have a lot of cool features that I'm surprised doom builder doesn't have, like manually keying a lines length, making two selected lines parallel, or generating stairs out of a single sector.

I still use DeePsea extensively. It doesn't have UDMF support and that's a frustration and its PNG support is not the best either. However, IMO, it does just about everything else very well. I know the program inside out and so I can use it for editing quickly, efficiently and with minimal fuss.

I've tried to get into Doombuilder but I don't find it as powerful (although GZDoomBuilder is getting very close, and is better in some respects). The big barrier to me moving to GZDB is that the differences between how the two programs do things are significant enough that whenever I try, it's just a world of frustration for me knowing something can be done, knowing how to do it in DeePsea but simply not being able to find the option in GZDB.

That being said, my advice to a new mapper would certainly be to start with GZDB. It is under current development and is a very good, thorough and solid program.

Enjay said:

I still use DeePsea extensively. It doesn't have UDMF support and that's a frustration and its PNG support is not the best either. However, IMO, it does just about everything else very well. I know the program inside out and so I can use it for editing quickly, efficiently and with minimal fuss.

I've tried to get into Doombuilder but I don't find it as powerful (although GZDoomBuilder is getting very close, and is better in some respects). The big barrier to me moving to GZDB is that the differences between how the two programs do things are significant enough that whenever I try, it's just a world of frustration for me knowing something can be done, knowing how to do it in DeePsea but simply not being able to find the option in GZDB.

That being said, my advice to a new mapper would certainly be to start with GZDB. It is under current development and is a very good, thorough and solid program.

Did you ever use DeePsea to make at least something, a little part of Gene-Tech: Before the Storm?

I went straight from Windeu to DB and only ever took a very short look at Deepsea. A failed attempt at palette editing is the only thing I can remember seriously using it for.

40oz said:

... wadauthor ... seems to have a lot of cool features that I'm surprised doom builder doesn't have, like manually keying a lines length, making two selected lines parallel, or generating stairs out of a single sector.

Probably the only reason some of those aren't in GZBD is just because no one's ever suggested them.

I've never used wadauthor, are there any other useful things it has that GZBD doesn't have?

I'll have to try out this GZDB utility. I've been hearing really good things.

I've been messing around with Doom Builder 2, and I do have to say it's a very nice utility but maybe I'm just more familiar DeePsea since I've been using that one extensively since I started mapping.

I also love all of the built-in features DeePsea has for editing textures, sprites, sounds, etc etc. Not to mention their R3Dedit I have to admit I enjoy more than Doom Builder's, primarily because it also grants you the ability to change sector floor/ceiling heights which DB lacks (at least in my experience with it).

Personally I will say that I enjoy DB user interface a bit more. It seems more clean and intuitive, where DeePsea feels more low-level. Which is ok for myself since I know the program so well, but I'm not sure I'd recommend DeePsea to a mapping newbie over Doom Builder.

They both seem to have their strengths and weaknesses, but for myself I may stick with DeePsea just because I know how do everything I need to in it. No need to switch if what I'm using already does what I need haha. I am gonna try this GZDB though that's for sure.

Thank you all for your replies so far btw! Interesting to hear the different reasons for each so far.