joe-ilya

1 star deathmatch wad. [On IDgames!]

A worthy to play?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. A worthy to play?

• yeah
    • no

joe-ilya said:

Developing a simple DM megawad for a sake.

I'm not sure if it's a good approach. The wad totally feels like a jokewad. All maps look ugly. In addition, all maps (except the first one) are so simple to the point of being lazy and crappy, I'd say. Deathmatchers would only enjoy this if they didn't mind 1) bad visuals AND 2) chaos. I think that an absolute frantic chaos in a tiny 1-room map (or 5-even-smaller-rooms map) is a pretty garbage deathmatch, honestly.

"Simply deathmatch"

Nah, I would call it:

"Simple Duel maps"

Because they are extremely simple and too small for more than 2 players.

Yeah I checked through them all any there wasn't a map I would play FFA on, and only a few that were large enough to sensibly play Duels on.

A major problem with the maps is as Scifista pointed out: There are usually just a single room, with little or no cover.

If you want these maps to play well in a duel, you'll need to double or triple the size with more rooms and more ease of movement between areas. If you want to make these maps play well in FFA, they'll need to be significantly bigger.

I don't mean to be too critical, I'm just trying to give advice on making maps better suited to the format you are aiming for. As it stands I can't see these maps playing very well at all, missing some essential features of good duel maps (mainly the size). I'm not trying to put you off, but rather try and improve!

Well, I'm not a "hater", in fact I barely "hate" anything I ever see in a wad, I simply can't, when I imagine all the author's effort put into it with all good intentions. In addition - I don't even play deathmatch. I only try to provide constructive criticism, point out the things I find imperfect and (if possible) suggest improvement, as well as I can, with an intention to help the authors. That's how I usually operate. In your case here, I pointed out that the chaos, visuals and overt simplicity are bad (IMO), indirectly suggesting that the wad needs improvement / more work in that regard. I'm sorry if I offended you.

joe-ilya said:

So bri10 is a very comfortable mappack?
Bastards. Stop hatin'.

How is brit10 related to this mess?

joe-ilya said:

So bri10 is a very comfortable mappack?
Bastards. Stop hatin'.

Not a very intelligent response, Joe.

I can understand the "Hate" this wad gets after taking a good look at it.

Let us begin with my 100% honest and completely blunt review (because I'm not going to sugar coat it for you):

- The maps are about 1 room each.

- The "rooms" are almost (and sometimes completely) void of any cover resulting in spawns worthy of a game on Call of Duty as you can spawn in direct fire.

- The rooms detail (if you even decided if it should exist or not, certain maps don't even have "detail") is next to Wolf 3D levels of abysmal (Wolf 3D had an excuse, this does not as it is made in Doom).

- The few details here and there are fucking abysmal, I have played corridor simulators that were far more entertaining/immersive.

- I begin to wonder if you even tested these maps, they play like a trip to the dentist for fuck sake.

- You have some good ideas, but they are executed in such a way that they may have well been actually executed (As in shot).

- Your use of textures hurts my eyes and I have been playing a binge of Maximum Doom wads, be ashamed.

- Your map design feels and plays like being thrown onto a roundabout covered in industrial waste caked sea salt and diamond edge razor blades whilst being located in a field that is actually a two mile thorn field with multiple pissed off scorpions.

- So many things else that are wrong.
Overall I think this thing is a piece of complete and utter shit, nothing about this thing is redeeming what so ever and I honestly think you shat this out in less than a day. This project is doomed, scrap it or start again and bring a better attitude, I had more fun writing this than playing this absolute shit fest.

^Now that is being an asshole, an honest and blunt asshole.

Wow, 6 no and only 2 yes?

I think these maps look really fun for the most part.. Map04, Map10 and Map11 were the only ones I didn't like much, theres not enough to them. As stated, there's nowhere to take cover. In fact, a good idea might be to find clever ways to 'merge' some of the maps. Multiple large hallways/paths leading to a distinctly different areas adds a lot of strategy to DM.

The other maps remind me of stuff from the Dwango era, many of my Dooming friends know me as "that nutcase who likes shitty old maps", so take my opinion with a grain of salt... I'd really enjoy having some frags on the better maps here though, I love the OS look, I just can't help it!

If you want your maps to be more acceptable to the average Doomer, make sure you dont have any really thin hallways (there's a couple in these maps, doesn't bother me too badly, but others hate it) and just work on adding more detail.

Your mapping has improved quite a lot though man, Map01 looks way better than it used to. Keep on revising your approach, soon you'll be making stuff that everyone here will enjoy.

These maps sorta remind me of my DM maps from my past life, made when I was 11/12 years old - http://www.mediafire.com/download/avuzz93z9qvv9zq/DKPLANET.wad (Maps 1-15 are single player, maps 16-25 are deathmatch) and then there's the even older MiniDM - http://www.mediafire.com/download/3if4qtmm13333qq/minidm.wad which is maps1-10. We even used a few of the same MIDIs.. It's funny to look back on what I was doing in 2004.

EDIT: I just laughed my ass off at mrthejoshmon's comments... I agree with him in many ways, but I certainly wouldn't call this utter shit. Maybe I'm just desensitized, after all, I spend way too much time clicking the 'random file' button on /idgames and playing abosolutely awful 1994/1995 DM maps. Cause you know, that's totally not a waste of time.

Quoting you:

Same as all of your maps: Boring, frustrating and unplayable in general.

It turned around against very quickly huh?

Also, i'm going to add that it looks like and plays like: shit.

You know what this wad reminds me of? My own first attempt at a DM wad.
I present, my first released maps: http://www.mediafire.com/download/k93002e2ct34xlx/sirdm.wad

They have similar problems. Focus is towards getting an idea out onto the computer, without really thinking about how it can be fleshed out and made into a complete map. Maps are too small, or too tight. Visuals aren't utterly ugly, but they tend to be either too bland, or too 'weird' and nonsensical. Maps were never even tested in DM. (I wasn't even that great of a DM player.)
The folks over at zdaemon weren't as harsh on it as this thread is (or at least, they weren't when I was around), although it deserved many of the criticisms this wad is getting. I'm grateful for that, although it was almost certainly because I wasn't important enough :P
I was so excited getting my wad out. I was sure that it would be the 'next big thing', that it would get played all the time. (Of course, even the best deathmatch wad is never going to get 'played all the time'.) The first version had many more slopes, and much more SHAWN2, two things which were criticized immediately and which I remedied. Have I improved since then? Certainly, although I'm still not a particularly great mapper (especially not deathmatch). But then, I don't do it very often.

I would encourage you to keep making these maps, but not for the purpose of releasing them and treating them as a serious DM wad. Think of it as training, or as drawing sketches. You're not concerned with making something people enjoy (although if they do enjoy it, that's a bonus), you're concerned with developing your skills, exploring the capabilities of the editor and the engine, and getting some ideas out which you might well return to later on. Most of all, keep playing different wads yourself, in different styles and gamemodes.

Why does it matter if there's no cover or if it's just a single room?
And yes, I tested this on Zandoronum.

Can you give an example of a good DM megawad?
I know about the greenwar series and the UDM series but is that it?

If there is no cover, it removes a lot of the skills of playing deathmatch, relying purely on luck, aim and reaction instead. Without cover and space to gather yourself, the player doesn't have time to think. It just becomes spawn > shoot > die > spawn > shoot > die etc.

Duel32 is a collection of people's favourite Duel maps, probably a good idea to have look at and play those maps on duels to see how they function and what makes them fun. I don't know many Deathmatch mapsets as I don't tend to play that gamemode often but they are usually larger than duel maps, to account for the increased number of players.

When i was into the dm i had a lot of fun on the exec and brit10 maps, also cybercrime wasn't that bad for what i can remember. There were also another couple of fun mapsets, but i can't recall them rigth now.

joe-ilya said:

Cool! I got 2 yes-es! I really wonder what did they find good that the rest didn't.

One of them was me - You can see what I liked in my post. With a little bit of work this could feel like a solid OS pack. The texturing is to my liking because of the simplistic approach.

Toxie Rocks said:

That's hilarious. I love it. If only there were a yellow liquid texture. Perhaps some ZDoom color setters are in order?

Lava is kinda yellow.

KevinHEZ said:

Quoting you:

It turned around against very quickly huh?

Also, i'm going to add that it looks like and plays like: shit.

You're just trying to be funny.

I like the idea and look of MAP04; not sure how these would play otherwise. I'm crossing my fingers for tarns and alfonzo to play through these maps on a twitch stream.

dobu gabu maru said:

I like the idea and look of MAP04; not sure how these would play otherwise. I'm crossing my fingers for tarns and alfonzo to play through these maps on a twitch stream.

Your wish has been granted: http://www.twitch.tv/tarnsmandw/b/580606746
Starting 1 hour 45 minutes in. Highlights start 2 hours in.

On a completely unrelated note, the description "joe-d up" makes me think of coffee. Mental-fast deathmatch, maybe?