1 star deathmatch wad. [On IDgames!]

A worthy to play?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. A worthy to play?

• yeah
    • no

alterworldruler said:

Your wish has been granted: http://www.twitch.tv/tarnsmandw/b/580606746
Starting 1 hour 45 minutes in. Highlights start 2 hours in.

Heh, their laughing can cure cancer, they must be on drugs or something.
Other then that, it's a surprise they made this stream, can't wait 'till he plays through the lost maps.

I don't think it is controversial to suggest that appearing in a video consisting solely of people making fun of you is something that you shouldn't celebrate.

Du Mhan Yhu said:

Welcome back joe-ilya, How many maps are in this wad?

35 and thanks for the warm welcome.

Welcome back, Joe. Hopefully your attitude has improved over your absense. Not being rude, but I would like to see a bit more of your maps in the future.

Joe, do you even put any effort into the bulk of your maps? Even (one of?) my first DM map built in 2003 with an early version of Doom Builder V1 has more effort put into it than these did.

Quality, not quantity.

some of these look like they could hold up in DM. most of them are sadly lacking, though.

Map18, Map21, Map23 are all maps I'd totally be willing to try out in DM. The rest I believe just wouldn't be fun at all.

I recommend posting these at the multiplayer forums like Zandro, Zdaemon and Odamex for some feedback from frequent DMers. My mapping has improved signifigantly in the last few months from doing this - Not visually, but in terms of item placement and overall gameplay.

Balance is key. I used to think the only "rules" of DM mapping were "start the player with a gun, don't use cramped hallways, and don't overload the maps with powerups" but there really is a lot more to it. Visuals are actually the lowest priority, and should be improved on after you have your gameplay set up.

Powerups and special weapons (RL, BFG, Blue Armor, Soulspheres, etc) can be used to give your maps what are called control points - Brit10 and Exec suffer from "everyone rushes to the BFG" syndrome, which looking back only allows for some very one-dimensional gameplay. It's fun occasionally, but playing the map pack multiple times gets boring very fast. It's a shame too, because the maps look fantastic.

I'll play through these thouroughly soon and give you feedback on the individual maps. Also, welcome back!

I haven't played these, but looking at them I see a lot of the maps have the same issue regarding design and layouts: they're boxes. A symmetrical/almost symmetrical room/box is the entire map. if you want to, say, make good duel map layouts, look at some of these.

joe-ilya said:

I'll more room to the small maps.

A small map can still be a good duel map. Look at CGI1 MAP19, that one is tiny but it's still a pretty fun, well designed and reasonably balanced duel map (yes, even if I am shit at that one).

Heh, you made a whole DM level out of that Rainbow Dash, how cool is that.

Can you pls post the song list? I think all megawads should come with such lists.

1:TNT-Anything goes
2:Pantera-Domination
3:Queens of the stone age-No one knows
4:Gorillaz-Feel good inc.
5:Metallica-Fade to black
6:Green day-American idiot
7:Nirvana-Smells like teen spirit
8:The offspring-The noose
9:Ramones-Blitzkerg bop
10:Weezer-Island of the sun
11:Green day-Hitchin' a ride
12:Screeching weasel-Hey suburbia
13:Nine inch nails-The hand that feeds
14:Screeching weasel-Holy hardcore
15:Bad religion-21st century(digital boy)
16:Slayer-Metal Storm/Face the Slayer
17:Slayer-I hate you
18:Green day-Longview
19:Less than Jake-Krazy glue
20:Nine inch nails-Head like a hole
21:D_RUNNI2 from dwango5
22:D_THE_CIT from MMMUS
23:D_DOOM2 from dwango5
24:D_E1M4 from heroes
25:D_BETWEE from valliant
26:From valliant, I don't remember, could be somewhere else
27:Bad religion-Fuck armageddon...this is hell
28:Disturbed-???(I don't remember, I could check midimelody all over, but I'm too lazy)
29:Disturbed-Breathe
30:Gorillaz-Last living souls
31:Slayer-Dissident Aggressor
32:Slayer-Read Between The Lies
33/Text:D_DEAD from valliant
34/Title:Bad religion-Anxiety
35/Intermission:Green day-Brain stew