Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Scary, spooky, creepy or Halloween themed gamez!

Alright, its that time of the year, so I've been breaking out Halloween games. I'd like to know which are scary, spooky, creepy or Halloween themed games?

In the past few weeks I've gone through:
Limbo (spooky, eerie, creepy)
Dead Space 2 (been working on the series for months)
Super Castlevania IV (been listening to the soundtrack, had the urge to play)
Organ Trail (zombiez)
Costume Quest (for Halloween)
Five Nights at Freddy's (buttons be pushed)
Team Fortress 2 (wave 666 Halloween)
Volgarr the Viking (not sure if its action fantasy or horror fantasy themed with zombez)
Walking Dead (2 months ago, I went through a 2nd time, nothing changed)

If all else fails, I'll go through Doom 3 all over again. Slenderman is also calling my name after the 20/20 interview with the girl that survived stabbings.

J.B.R said:

Creepy?
Here's two:Sonic.exe and ImScared A Pixelated Nightmare.

Ha :-) I've tried Sonic.exe. I'll have to look up the other one.

I'm going to go on an expedition to the dark side of Youtube (The part with the low view threshold and legitimately questionable insanity, the real scary shit) instead of going on some spooky games, although Dead Island might find itself being played a few times because zombies.

Thanks for making this thread geo. I've been thinking about getting some scary video games for the wife and I to play on Halloween. Preferably stuff with good back story, exploring, and puzzle solving. Kinda like resident evil or something. Are there any silent hill games for Nintendo Wii? Otherwise I might just look up some old DOS games or something.

Soft & Cuddly is a ZX Spectrum game about... well, everything BUT what the title would suggest it is about. it's also a badly made game whose creator is slightly insane if you're into that.

Happy Time Circus 2 for G/ZDoom is a huge, non-linear, abandoned town-style map filled with murderous clown ghosts and psychedelic areas. it's very explorative and creepy, but done in a wonderfully refreshing way, and it also retains a very Doom-like gameplay on top of it all. highly recommended if you like any of the aforementioned.

other than that, i don't really know that many scary, unsettling games, or just games with a Halloween theme. surprised that there seems to be so few Doom mods with that flair.

Kontra Kommando said:

vid

I'm reminded of Friday the 13th for the Commodore 64. You played as one of a bunch of kids in the camp and Jason was disguised as someone else. Every time Jason killed another kid, you'd hear this crazy digitized scream and some gory picture would pop up. I only played the game a few times... my heart couldn't take it.

People think jump scares are a new thing in games. NOPE.

I still need to finish playing the Eternal Damnation mod for Postal 2.

Hatoful Boyfriend takes a dark turn once Bad Boy's Love is unlocked.

The first two Penumbra games (from the developer of Amnesia) are wonderfully scary. The third one is mostly annoying puzzles.

Guess I'll wrap up with my favorite survival horror series, Fatal Frame/Project Zero.

edit: shit how could I forget They Hunger.

edit edit: Afraid of Monsters, Eternal Darkness

I was playing Daikatana and I looked at Mikiko's face and got scared, 2spooky4me.

I'll be honest here and say that I never expected answers like these.

I did just start playing through Call oif Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth and would certainly recommend giving it a romp yourself this Halloween Season. I'd actually definitely recommend it to 40oz as it is not too dissimilar from what he is looking for (slower paced, however).

Also, in all seriousness: System Shock 2. What better game to play through around Halloween?

Shit this is getting me excited. I do love me some Halloween!

There was a free indie game made with Unity which I watched a LP of and tried a while back titled Delirious, horror games never really have an effect on me but there was one point in this game which actually made me jump surprisingly.

Dammit, forgot to add Killing Floor (horde-style coop FPS). From 10AM Thursday to Sunday 1PM Pacific, KF will have a free weekend on Steam. Give it a shot. They usually have a Halloween-themed update around this time.

40oz said:

Thanks for making this thread geo. I've been thinking about getting some scary video games for the wife and I to play on Halloween. Preferably stuff with good back story, exploring, and puzzle solving. Kinda like resident evil or something. Are there any silent hill games for Nintendo Wii? Otherwise I might just look up some old DOS games or something.

There is Silent Hill: Shattered Memories for the Wii, but I've no idea how it is. There's also Resident Evil remake and Eternal Darkness for the Gamecube, which can be played on the Wii with a Gamecube controller.

As for the DOS side, there's the Alone in the Dark series. They're the precursor to the Resident Evil type of survival horror, right down to the clumsy tank controls, fixed camera angles, 3D models on 2D backgrounds, inventory management, letters and books that give clues and background to the game and especially the annoying obscure item puzzles.

Shattered Memories is pretty tame compared to other Silent Hills - probably for the sole fact that it's easier. It still has its share of incredibly creepy moments and a downer ending. The story is on par with the series, but the puzzles are a bit weak.

I'd also suggest the first Dead Space. I've heard the second and third games are a bit heavy on combat, but the first is nice and atmospheric and does a good job of ratcheting up the tension. It's what you should expect from a game that began life as System Shock 3.

If you want an atmospheric experience with a great story that really gets you involved, i'd recommend The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

It's a murder mystery themed game with horror elements. The game throws you right in. It's great.

Condemned:Criminal Origins, an absolute masterpiece.
Silent Hill 2 is also my favourite survival horror game ever made.

I believe games like Amnesia (both parts) and especially Outlast are pretty popular in that regard. I'm not a fan of their approach, when the player is a trembling defenseless weakling that can be taken down by literally every freak in no time (much like in Penumbra already mentioned above), but I guess it still can be fun for less bloodthirsty people.

Call of Cthulhu and Condemned: Criminal Origins are definitely games to check out.

"And especially Outlast"

Am I missing something with that game? I've watched plenty of gameplay videos and it just doesn't do it for me. The broke-down asylum setting somehow looks generic. Every scare is telegraphed, like the copious monster closets in Doom 3.