Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voltcom9

If there were a map screen to Doom 2, what do you think it would look like?

In Doom 1 there was a cool intermission screen which showed a map of the Phobos/ Deimos Moonbase and one of the landscape of Hell. Why did ID not continue with this intermission screen in Episode 4 and Doom2 (TNT, Plutonia)?

I have always wondered what the map screen for Doom 2 would look like, if there are any artists who share in this interest, I'd be quite interested their interpretations.

I have no real artistic talent to actually try to make one, but I've always pictured something like this:

MAP01-07: Starport in the style of the Doom maps, with different buildings representing each level. MAP07 would be at the top of the base.

MAP08-11: Same map as before, but panned up with MAP07 at the bottom, revealing hellish influence on the starport. MAP11 would be a part completely taken over by hell. A bit of the city could be drawn in the distance.

MAP12-20: Stylized burning city, with the factory on the outskirts, downtown being a bunch of skyscrapers dead center, and maps like 14, 18, and 19 being hellish, out of place structures. Gotcha would be an opening to hell.

MAP21-30: Hellish canyon/cavern, most maps are just terrain elements but there are structures for the more interior-looking ones.

No idea where to stick the Wolfy secret levels, maybe castles in hell, giving you an early glimpse of that map before you officially get there?

Wow, that guy is doing some excellent work. If DOOM taught us anything though, it would be in a crater and the buildings would be tiny on-screen. The main difference would probably be taller buildings and grass.

I have a feeling there would be 3 map screens if they had gone through with it, 4 might be a little excessive for only 32 maps.

I kinda like the google maps look alike for the E2 section, although it looks too much like a photo than a hand drawn location, which kinda gives it both less character and needless detail in parts that aren't used. I'd imagine E1 looking more like the backdrop for the Doom 1 endpic with the grassy fields and burning cities, and pretty much nothing like a space station in a crater, and much less a single space station where each map is a 'part.'

having seen someone's attempt at it maybe I could try making my own.

Da Werecat said:

Am I the only one who thinks that those intermissions are weak, even though they're 640x480?

Yeah, I dig the first one, but the second one is really generic for the reasons 40oz pointed out. It has no character - photos generally seem out of place in Doom, let alone as the actual map screen.

I might take a crack at this... Won't guarantee anything good, but it would be cool to have id-quality inter screen for D2.

I too like the E2 one more than the others.

I've also always thought Nirvana felt like part of the city at the edge of hell; if there was ever a more modern remake of that part of the game, I picture it like the edge of a massive, smoldering crater or series of canyons with buildings having toppled into it, others just completely sunken but still somewhat intact. (Might make for some interesting interiors... reminds me of Spec Ops: The Line now that I think about it.)

I really like the twisted image in Episode 4. It screams "no more map for you this time, you're lost".