Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clusterone666

Community Christmas Megawad (Working Title) OP updated constantly!

Community Christmas Project!
Alright, so it seems to me like we are all lacking on a good Christmas megawad for Doom 2.
So this year (And maybe next) we are aiming to change that. The goal here is to create a Xmas themed megawad with xmas monsters/weapons/props/textures!
Our goal is to try to make it as best as we can to destroy the persona of "Bad Xmas Wad" and actually make something worth playing!
Anyone can submit anything!
It is my first project so any criticism and praise is wanted! And i'll take all the help I can get!
Also, this is the new outline for it as the old one was cluttered and weird, at least I thought so!
Right now our main goal is to figure out how we want to do our textures/monsters/props/weapons. We need 32 maps as well, each getting better and better as they go, as well as more
and more difficult. So here is the basic outline that is subject to change depending on the development process!

Outline!
--------
Community Christmas Project
32 Maps
Christmas Themed (With the secret levels being Hanukkah and thanksgiving)
No deadline at the moment.
Feel free to sign up for whatever!
Zdoom project! (As per request from a couple people and myself.)(Also, nothing too Zdoom heavy as well, so people with lower end computers can run it no problem.)

Guidelines
---------
Stick to the theme of Christmas, the secret levels however will be different than this, but we will come to this when we get there.
The maps will get better, and harder as the wad progresses so you feel a sense of progression as you play.
Mapslots are free to choose and we will decide what goes where when we get to that point to keep with progression.
There needs to be at least one mall level with a santa castle ;)
Everything else is up to you to decide!
No deadline at the moment, won't decide on a deadline till we start getting serious about the mapping.
Gameplay is the priority, with atmosphere and design being heavy.
Will be able to be played on all source ports, so everyone can enjoy it!
Co-op available.
Difficulty Options.
Once we get the textures ready and people start mapping, We shall setup the main theme and title for each level!
Secret Levels, 1 is Hanukkah themed, the other is Thanksgiving themed!
I'm working on the level progression as well right now and will have it ready once the textures are ready. All I know is one of the levels is going to be a mall level :P And if no one wants to do that one, I am more than happy to take that one!

What we need right now
---------
Our main goal is to get a texture pack up so the mappers can start mapping.
Props/Monsters/Items/Weapons we can do after the textures are completed so people can start mapping
and place said items in afterwords.
We do need music as well but that can come later as I said.
If you want to work on maps now and just create a basic outline while waiting for the textures feel free to
do that as well!
We need a title for the wad.
Someone or a couple people to help me run this, as it's my first community project!
Someone that know's how to compile all the textures/props/monsters/weapons/maps into one nice little wad
would be wonderful, as I feel like I would screw that up. I am willing to learn however! (The compiler would be needed soon to help get all the texture/Decorate objects together).
Playtesters (Not for a while though)
We need about a total of 3-4 Texture artists/Decorate helpers.
We already have 1, but 3-4 should be able to do it in a shorter amount of time. If we do get 3/4 and more people want to add textures, feel free too! All submissions are welcome and will be in the wad one way or another!

Titles (First to 5 votes becomes the name?)
---------
Wicked Wonderland (Walter Confalonieri) +1
Noel Deep in the Snow (an_Mutt)
Knee Deep in the Snow (Joe-ilya) +2
Knee Deep in Snow (Scifista42)
A Doom Carol (Scifista42)
Hells Carols (Scifista42)
(Doom 2:) Peace and Joy (On Earth) (Scifista42)
Jingle Hells (Scifista42)
Antichrist-mas (Scifista42)
Christmas Carnage
WTF Santa
DWCE (Doomworld Christmas Extravaganza)
Snow on Earth (Joe-ilya)

Types of Textures looking for
---------
Christmas Presents (Thanks to Toxie Rocks idea, we can use stock textures for this!)
Snow/Snowfall
Bright, red/green/white texures
Christmas Tree's.
Candy Cane Walls
Store windows
Christmas type fences
http://imgur.com/a/cXFDh#0
^Tormentor667^
Those are some resources we could use if we wanted.

Contributers
----------

Creative Director:
Clusterone666 (And others if wanted)

Mappers:
EffinghamHuffnagel (Map31)
Clusterone666
Obake (A Christmas Carol)

Music:
Doomhuntress
Shadow Hog (Thanksgiving theme?)
PRIMEVAL

Textures:
Obake
Tormentor667

Compiler:

Decorate Objects:
Omegalore

Playtesters:

----------
MAPS
----------
Map 01:joe-ilya "Christmas Morning"
https://www.mediafire.com/?43dlrjj4ia2hpwm
Map 02:joe-ilya "Go with the Flow"
Map 03:
Map 04:
Map 05: Shogun
Map 06:
Map 07: Obake (A Doom Carol)
Map 08:
Map 09:
Map 10:
Map 11:
Map 12:
Map 13:
Map 14:
Map 15:
Map 16: Clusterone666 (Mall) (If someone else wants this spot instead let me know.)
Map 17:
Map 18:
Map 19:
Map 20:
Map 21:
Map 22:
Map 23:
Map 24:
Map 25:
Map 26:
Map 27:
Map 28:
Map 29:
Map 30:
Map 31: EffinghamHuffnagel
Map 32:

----------
Extra Things
----------
Here is my Skype: Clusterone666.
For all the people working on this, what would be the best way to have group conversations for you all?
I suggest Skype, but more than happy to get whatever to have a team-chat.
Like I said above, this is my first project, so any help regarding advice is good!
I know how to map, map a lot on my free time, just don't release a lot of them, but can and probably
will make some maps for the megawad!
Also, if we are going to use other people's textures and such from the wad, please give credit where credit
is due if not done so already!

Feed the holiday spirit!

P.S if anyone know's how to edit this topic so I can add polls so we can vote on the various ideas as they come up, let me know how! As when I go to edit it, there is nothing for such option!
All the feedback so far is great, and the praise and criticism is awesome! Sorry it's my first idea for a community project so i'm not 100% sure how it would work, but I just wanted to get the ball rolling and get this together and started! And any help along the way to learn how to do community projects would be awesome so I know for the future!

I'm back!

Most Christmas wads I know of are rather crappy ones.

That said, if we made ourselves a premise that this project aims to be a good one, I'm up for the idea.

Premise or promise?
But yeah that would be the plan, make it as good as we can to destroy the persona of "Crappy christmas wads" and make it something that's fun and interesting to play at least for the holiday times.
I mean it wouldn't even have to be 100% Christmas throughout the wad, we could run the maps to be something like this.
Map01-map10 Halloween
Map11-map20 Thanksgiving
Map21-30 Christmas
Map31/32 Community decides
Or something along that format.
Or 100% Christmas if everyone wanted that.

Christmas is like what, 2 months away? Not much time to make 32 maps.
We should aim for just a wad, not megawad.
And yeah, I say we should go for 100% Christmas, what the hell Halloween is doing there?
Maybe add a rule that the maps shouldn't be very hard to create a happy holiday mood.

Clusterone666 said:

Premise or promise?
But yeah that would be the plan, make it as good as we can to destroy the persona of "Crappy christmas wads" and make it something that's fun and interesting to play at least for the holiday times.
I mean it wouldn't even have to be 100% Christmas throughout the wad, we could run the maps to be something like this.
Map01-map10 Halloween
Map11-map20 Thanksgiving
Map21-30 Christmas

I don't know about anyone else, but I really want to see this Thanksgiving-themed episode.

esselfortium said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I really want to see this Thanksgiving-themed episode.

I'm keeping notes on what everyone wants on a seperate notepad, but alright this could be doable as well!
How would you feel about a multi seasonal one like I mentioned? Or are you more interested in a 100% Thanksgiving one? :)

Clusterone666 said:

Map01-map10 Halloween
Map11-map20 Thanksgiving
Map21-30 Christmas

Christmas is a thing on its own. How would the "Thanksgiving" maps be distinguished, anyway? I'm definitely for a 100% Christmas wad, with a cool Christmas-themed MAP01 and continuing upwards.

scifista42 said:

Christmas is a thing on its own. How would the "Thanksgiving" maps be distinguished, anyway? I'm definitely for a 100% Christmas wad, with a cool Christmas-themed MAP01 and continuing upwards.

Well like I said, it's all up in the air at the moment to we all decide together if and what we want. :)
But,it would be distinguished by the monsters/music/maps. For example (rough idea here) the thanksgiving levels would have a very floral feel to them, very orange, the enemies would be things such as imps with chicken wings or something funny like that, and the maps would be designed to be outside in the wilderness (you know christopher columbus and such) or something. The thanksgiving one I literally just thought of when I made that second post but that's a idea, and moving from thanksgiving to christmas would be one map (Map 20) that ends with a difficult mini boss, and would half way through the map transfer from a orange/floral feel to it, to snowy and bright, and we could have different monsters for each "Episode" of a holiday?

Memfis said:

Christmas is like what, 2 months away? Not much time to make 32 maps.
We should aim for just a wad, not megawad.
And yeah, I say we should go for 100% Christmas, what the hell Halloween is doing there?
Maybe add a rule that the maps shouldn't be very hard to create a happy holiday mood.

That is true, but it wouldn't have to be released for christmas time, it would just try to be, but if not, it's a christmas wad, for the years here and after I guess.
Halloween was just a suggestion.
And I like that rule, what about difficulty, would people want it easy/medium/hard?

I promised myself that I would not join any more community projects for a long while. But making a map for a Christmas themed wad might spark my interest :)

Clusterone666 said:

what about difficulty, would people want it easy/medium/hard?

Medium on UV; and (very) hard on coop/solonet.

Scifista42: Alright sounds good.
Effingham:We can do that! :)
Cannonball: That's good to hear!
Blackfish: Let's do it!
Everyone else: So i'm going to pop up a very basic rules and outline list in the original post, that will change as we go!

esselfortium said:

If it matters, you're all free to use that "Thanksgiving Theme" MIDI I made for 32in24-13's intermission screens, provided I'm credited.

Shadow Hog said:

If it matters, you're all free to use that "Thanksgiving Theme" MIDI I made for 32in24-13's intermission screens, provided I'm credited.

Alright, if that's the route we end up taking that would be awesome!
Could you link me to it so I can hear it? Or at least the file so I can take a listen?

I would prefer a Boom-compat wad just so all Doomers can play it, but I'm actually working on a christmas map at the moment. I'd love to contribute it. I also second what Memfis said about it being christmas only.

Clusterone666, it seems that you don't have experience with projects. Resources like sprites/weapons/items should really be compiled beforehand. Allowing ZDoom-format maps will likely result in a mess. "Fixed-mapslot" based projects are much less efficient and harder to manage than "free-submission" based projects. You want to set rules, but let leadership to another (yet-unknown) person. Your actual "creative directions" are too broad yet. I'm not sure about either of these.

scifista42 said:

Clusterone666, it seems that you don't have experience with projects. Resources like sprites/weapons/items should really be compiled beforehand. Allowing ZDoom-format maps will likely result in a mess. "Fixed-mapslot" based projects are much less efficient and harder to manage than "free-submission" based projects. You want to set rules, but let leadership to another (yet-unknown) person. Your actual "creative directions" are too broad yet. I'm not sure about either of these.

Yeah, that's why I want someone to take over in the leader position, and i'll just be there as creative director, but the reason things are so broad, is only because we're all still deciding what we are doing.
As for Boom that should be fine as well, I just said zdoom/gzdoom? since it's all subject to change. :)
It's just a very basic outline at the moment.
But all in all, I just think it would be a lot of fun and interesting to do. :)
And if someone else comes in and helps me with this and leads it, I think it would be done well. :)

So in short, everything I have up there is all debatable and subject to change, i'm just throwing all the ideas I have and people have so far and we shall wittle them down to figure out what it is exactly we want to do. :)

Everyone seems to like the idea of a Christmas Project. If you had put together all the resources in June and suggested it then, just offering mappers a sandbox to play in, you might actually have a chance of getting this done by Christmas. As it stands, everyone's got a lot of RL right now, so with no sand, or box, or even a park in which to put the box, a full megawad probably couldn't be compiled, polished and published before Christmas 2015.

A 12-level mapset, The 12 Maps of Christmas, is certainly still possible.

"In the 12th map of Christmas, O what did I see?
12 Barons stalking,
11 Hell Kights clawing,
10 Cacos spitting,
9 Chaingunners gunning,
8 Shotgunners shooting,
7 Mancubuses,
6 Pain Elementals,
5 Revenants.
4 Lost Souls,
3 Arachnotrons,
2 Arch-Viles,
and a Cyberdemon shooting right at me."

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Everyone seems to like the idea of a Christmas Project. If you had put together all the resources in June and suggested it then, just offering mappers a sandbox to play in, you might actually have a chance of getting this done by Christmas. As it stands, everyone's got a lot of RL right now, so with no sand, or box, or even a park in which to put the box, a full megawad probably couldn't be compiled, polished and published before Christmas 2015.

A 12-level mapset, The 12 Maps of Christmas, is certainly still possible.

"In the 12th map of Christmas, O what did I see?
12 Barons stalking,
11 Hell Kights clawing,
10 Cacos spitting,
9 Chaingunners gunning,
8 Shotgunners shooting,
7 Mancubuses,
6 Pain Elementals,
5 Revenants.
4 Lost Souls.
3 Arachnotrons,
2 Arch-Viles,
and a Cyberdemon sitting in a tree."

Yeah I guess you have a point, well, how about we start work on a 32 map megawad and just finish it whenever? And it will eventually be out by a christmas? Just leave it as a sandbox to kind of have fun with? Like I said, this is my first community project for Doom, and I wasn't even planning on leading it, just getting the idea rolling and sticking on.
But yeah that could work as well, I like the little song. xD

The twelve restrictions of Christmas is still going to be a thing. [/injoke]

Captain Toenail said:

Just a thought - replace the crate textures with wrapped presents.

And make a decorate (or texture) for ribbons to put on top of the crates and a beautiful christmas tree too.

KevinHEZ said:

And make a decorate (or texture) for ribbons to put on top of the crates and a beautiful christmas tree too.

What kind of textures should be made besides those?

Clusterone666 said:

What kind of textures should be made besides those?

The normal stuff(snowy rock and ground, snowy wood, etc.) and also red brick with snow. There's a lot of textures that can be done in a christmas theme.

KevinHEZ said:

The normal stuff(snowy rock and ground, snowy wood, etc.) and also red brick with snow. There's a lot of textures that can be done in a christmas theme.

I'm reading up on some tutorials for how to add textures to Doom, is XWE really the only program that can be used? As it keeps crashing on my windows 8.1 and i'm trying to make some christmas textures as a kind of example.